Beam Weapon not working

Reaction score
    Hello, I currently have some problem with my weapon within the ship I am building..

When I'm firing the beam weapon (with an effect, Stop ) It tells me the weapon was properly fired with the effect on the proper coordinate. However there is no beam, no damage, nothing happening. If I remove the effect from the weapon, nothing happens..

Note that I have no energy loss at all while firing this beam weapon.
    Currently have 200k energy sec on a 200k tank , the weapon usage is 74k/s however I should see the energy ball wiggle a bit, no?

Also the missile weapon from within my ship just.. makes the server not responding even in solo, for about 1-2 minute than when the missile has blown(I suppose?) the game comes back alive.

Reaction score
    I fixed it, Looks like rotating your computer makes the weapon not functional. I would need to re-test that with other weapon but. Removing and replacing the computer module makes it work.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's not making the gun not functional, the orientation of the weapon computer affect the shooting direction of specific gun, i.e. if You have computer pointing left, the projectiles would shoot in the left direction.

Or it may actually make the weapon not functional, but then it's a bug. To be sure the gun is actually shooting, zoom out to see Your whole ship and use the gun.

Reaction score
    I did some more testing. and yeah looks like you are right it changes the gun orientation. which is rather weird in my opinion. the Gun itself should be the orientation not the computer.

Reactions: ghettodexter
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    But then what would happen if You would have connected weapons in different directions? :) It could take the direction of the most numerous orientation, but what if the numbers would be even?

Computer orientation is fine, the only drawback i see is that the face of the computer isn't always pointing the way i want, but i can live with that :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    But then what would happen if You would have connected weapons in different directions? :) It could take the direction of the most numerous orientation, but what if the numbers would be even?

Computer orientation is fine, the only drawback i see is that the face of the computer isn't always pointing the way i want, but i can live with that :)
    ...They should just shoot in different directions, Rece. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Solution: Stop playing on the Dev Builds. those are meant for testing the development of new game features, not for serious play.

Reaction score
    To be fair playing on dev builds is what makes the game progress faster. since player finds bug and report them. Which makes the finish product later on much more polish...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    At this point its all about preference... I personally find it fun finding problems. I know that my efforts and input may help some other players and may even play a role in shaping the end product is better than the feeling I would have knowing I'm just playing a (at the moment) free and awesome game that I could have actually played a role in shaping and enjoyed at the same time. But again it about preference....;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    To be fair playing on dev builds is what makes the game progress faster. since player finds bug and report them. Which makes the finish product later on much more polish...
    The bugs reported by players do not help in that manner, since they are not recorded in the Bug Tracker.
    I would recommend you don't post support topics for dev builds because this is not an issue anyone can help you with. It's a matter of features that are in development and that, of course, are bound to have bugs/be broken.

If you really want to make such a significant contribution to the dev builds then I suggest you ask to join the tester team rather than asking for help with an issue only testers have to deal with.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The bugs reported by players do not help in that manner, since they are not recorded in the Bug Tracker.
    I would recommend you don't post support topics for dev builds because this is not an issue anyone can help you with. It's a matter of features that are in development and that, of course, are bound to have bugs/be broken.

If you really want to make such a significant contribution to the dev builds then I suggest you ask to join the tester team rather than asking for help with an issue only testers have to deal with.
    Planr Dude take your foot out of your mouth and stop posting in general... your telling someone to do something that is against the rules and you don't know what the hell your talking about Dev bugs ARE reported and in bug tracker just like the penta bug #140 was found in dev so STFU learn the forum rules: "DONT ASK TO BE A TESTER MOD OR DEVELOPER" and stop giving bad advice. Further more Testsers just test reported bugs to see if it can be replicated as well as like us play until a bug is found.... but in the end WE ALL are testers there is just a chain of command... and we report to testers...
    SMH @you really... the more you talk...

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Planr Dude take your foot out of your mouth and stop posting in general... your telling someone to do something that is against the rules and you don't know what the hell your talking about Dev bugs ARE reported and in bug tracker just like the penta bug #140 was found in dev so STFU learn the forum rules: "DONT ASK TO BE A TESTER MOD OR DEVELOPER" and stop giving bad advice. Further more Testsers just test reported bugs to see if it can be replicated as well as like us play until a bug is found.... but in the end WE ALL are testers there is just a chain of command... and we report to testers...
    SMH @you really... the more you talk...
    Are you having a bad day today or something? You clearly don't know what I'm talking about, and you're overreacting really badly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Planr actually I am and my dog broke her leg but that has nothing to do with it it has to do with you being on the verge of bullying this dude for absolutely nothing at all and he isn't even wrong... that pisses me off... if I stepped over the line I apologize but you can point me to where I don't know what your talking about please.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Of course i might be wrong, but i somehow agree with Planr that more people playing with dev builds doesn't necessarily mean that the bugfixes would be made faster. I think the limiting speed for releasing bugfixes is the amount of work Schema can do, not that he doesn't have anything to work on.

Some time before i was reporting bugs for the dev versions, but once Starmade got its official bug tracker i've stopped, because all the problems i've found were already mentioned, so posting about it would be a waste of everyone's time.
    Making dev build publicly tested would mean much more reports about the same issues or resulting from players being unfamiliar with new features (similar as OP), so Schema (or the Dev team) would need to spend more time on reading those instead on actually fixing bugs.

Certainly it depends on the state of the dev version, but i think that once there would be no more bugs to fix, then the version would be tested for few more days, if found nothing - released as a public version to be tested by players.

But if anyone has found bugs not already mentioned, then follow this tutorial on how to report a bug.

Reaction score
    I think the limiting speed for releasing bugfixes is the amount of work Schema can do, not that he doesn't have anything to work on.
    This is very true: chart showing the number of open issues.
    ... and these are not all. For instance, I have a huge list of stuff I want to dig into before reporting it, because it will save schema's time if I can tell him where to look.

Reactions: ghettodexter
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yea this is why I "mark" my logs when I send them and give much detail when posting.... this is correct that re-posts may happen but that all comes down to the users knowledge, site setup and ease of information being passed to us.

We (the players) don't know where to find these list and guides... only long members and devs know this stuff or about it's existence... so clean up you mistakes then tell us we messed up. but don't give us a fucked system of passing on information and tell us we are wrong for not having it...
    A SIMPLE FRIGGING CHANGE/BUG LOG in the dev download or on the first page seen in forums or news... somewhere we have no choice but to see it not der_scheme some page we have never heard of or need login info a simple thread this is exactly why most people don't know what issues are out there... in my eyes its starting to seem like it went from who ever spend the most time in chat and forums to who ever withholds to most information... lol how about you pass that info on up the chain for me?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    ghettodexter here is the sticky thread in the game support about reporting a bug with the link to the bug tracker site. On the bug tracker site is a list of reported issues and activity tab if You want to know exactly what's going on with the reported issues. Majority of the site is available without registering and logging in, but You need to be logged in to create a ticket or see a chart linked by der_scheme.

Dev versions aren't publicly available, to know exactly why, You would need to ask Devs, but they know that majority of the community know how to get them and Devs aren't trying to make it harder for us.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    This went a bit far off-topic.

About an official changelog for dev-builds.

Reporting a bug, is now focused to the bug-tracker.
    There are a few other ways to report, but without going over an 'Established tester' or 'tester' will most likely result in your report not being injected in the system.

As for know, you can easily use the bug-tracker that is in use for a while now to see when bugs got fixed and even see things that are currently being worked on.
    A small set of default filters allows easy navigation through it:
    There is also a small chance you can provide useful help with the dev-builds or to the bug-hunting in general by answering the issues that require public feedback.
    Also anyone is invited to add issues.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not worried about publicity of dev versions... just of bugs known and fixed in a simple list with no need for log in information.... what you did was nothing more that further prove my point... you gave me the info but I should have know this by now... why isn't that information in the launcher not some non functioning button that claims its sending your reports (from what Im understanding) to "somewhere" it will be ignored? Make me feel even more like I'm being lied to that i'm making a change... WTF is the cat thinking letting it get this damn bad?
    AndyP
    If the dev download is available the bugs should be on the dev listing page or something somewhere OTHER than where it is... this system is just setup to give those with badges the feeling of authority is what Im hearing. But I'm well open to being corrected

Reaction score
    I dunno I've been a game tester for a pretty big company for over 2 year and posting a bug even though its a useless bug, its not wasting anyone time. It takes about .2 seconds to look at the bug given and say WNF or Obsolete. but in a case where you find something useful or major its a good thing to have multiple person giving you feedback on the thing they find within the version they have.

Anyhow playing Dev_builds or regular is a preferences and If I or anyone else looks for help because they found a problem that can be fixed without coding, they are allowed to ask for it on a forum, in the support section. Support section is for everyone, and everyone can post a reply if they know the answer. I wasnt for instance expecting an answer from a dev but from the community.