Baffled Armor is Phony?

Reaction score
    dude, just read the ingame description of the ion defensive effect... not at all making assumptions, just reading correctly ^^ the starmade wiki doesnt mention the penalty though, maybe it's just an artifact in the decription of the block. The text i mentioned can be found in the INGAME description of the ion effect computer.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    dude, just read the ingame description of the ion defensive effect... not at all making assumptions, just reading correctly ^^ the starmade wiki doesnt mention the penalty though, maybe it's just an artifact in the decription of the block. The text i mentioned can be found in the INGAME description of the ion effect computer.
    Ok a quick in-game test involving an ion target and a non ion target, and shooting them with a 1 damage cannon shows that ion effect does not make blocks take more damage.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok a quick in-game test involving an ion target and a non ion target, and shooting them with a 1 damage cannon shows that ion effect does not make blocks take more damage.
    If there's extra damage, then it's rounded down. You should test it at least with 10 damage.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    If there's extra damage, then it's rounded down. You should test it at least with 10 damage.
    Starmade damage can go into decimal points, its only the damage display numbers that are limited to integers. In both cases a block of hull took exactly 75 shots to kill.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Starmade damage can go into decimal points, its only the damage display numbers that are limited to integers. In both cases a block of hull took exactly 75 shots to kill.
    While true, that is false for block HP as far as I know.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Wait seriously? wtf Schema
    In the smd2 file format, blockHP is an integer, not a fixed point or floating point number. If on loaded entities blockHP was a floating point, then unloading and loading an entity can deal further damage or repair blocks.

Reaction score
    As soon as i find some time ill do some larger scale testing :) until you guys sayd, it might not (anymore) be the case with additional block dmg, i never questioned it to be true. Hope we will have clarity on this soon :/

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Communication issues abound! Especially with the in-game descriptions.
    Ion passive does not and has never in any live version increased the amount of block damage received. If that were the case it would show up on the blockbehaviorconfig file. However it has always reduced the damage weapons it is slaved to deal to blocks. I suspect the attempt to describe this effect went horribly wrong and turned into what we see today.

Reaction score
    ok, thank you! now i can just leave it active and do no longer feel like having any disadvantage, if i do so :)

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Communication issues abound! Especially with the in-game descriptions.
    Ion passive does not and has never in any live version increased the amount of block damage received. If that were the case it would show up on the blockbehaviorconfig file. However it has always reduced the damage weapons it is slaved to deal to blocks. I suspect the attempt to describe this effect went horribly wrong and turned into what we see today.
    Damn TY for clearing that one up lol, communication issues indeed, always assumed it had no effect on block dmg taken myself, I guess the weapon effect is how people reach that conclusion too, but had some trusted people assure me it increases block damage taken (i believe defensive EMP actually does work like this, less power damage more everything else damage, another reason some people might confuse things). Surprisingly hard to test accurately since big block damage weapons seem so random in their results anyway (something to consider with baffled armor tests as well)

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Damn TY for clearing that one up lol, communication issues indeed, always assumed it had no effect on block dmg taken myself, I guess the weapon effect is how people reach that conclusion too, but had some trusted people assure me it increases block damage taken (i believe defensive EMP actually does work like this, less power damage more everything else damage, another reason some people might confuse things). Surprisingly hard to test accurately since big block damage weapons seem so random in their results anyway (something to consider with baffled armor tests as well)
    None of the defensive effects have active negatives. Well, besides the blocks used and power upkeep. EMP weaponry does deal less block and shield damage in return for dealing up to twenty times the weapon's damage in energy drain. It is the offensive uses of these effects which have downsides. Except for offensive punch. He's a cool guy.