automatic ship classification

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    a simple easy way to classify ships for example when a ship is made and it has 200 blocks its a fighter and a ship with 500 would be a frigate and a ship with 800 would be a cruiser etc

you would get the ships classification when ever you lock on to it and it would be automaticlly determined by the amount of blocks it has.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I don\'t want to point any thing, but have that ship clasification (I use it, and it serves me well)
    http://star-made.org/content/blitzwings-guideline-ship-classifications

And, if you mean that in-game ship classifications are needed, i think it\'s a nice thing to add in the future.

Reaction score
    One big problem with current classification charts is they are used to define warships in general. What we need for this something that tells a player the size category of the ship without assuming a role. One option is to use a D&D like system of sizes: small ship, medium ship, large ship, giant ship, colossal ship, or whatever. There are probably much better names that could be used for this.

It would helpful if the game used this system to limit numbers of a certain sized ships that spawned so the game never spammed you with squadrons of pirate controlled super-dreadnoughts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But how would you define things?

If you went by block count, a ship with no interior would have the same count as a more RP-focused ship, and you might end up with a massive hollow (or somewhat) ship attacking you.

If you go by height/width/length, you run into a similar issue, in that you could have a solid ship exactly fitting the specifications which is much more powerful than the ship with interior of the same dimensions...

Plus I am sure disagreement among players exists as too what, specifically, a specific ship class/size consists of - so whose measurements do we follow?

------------------

I think the best way to go with this is have options available in server setup and via admin commands, allowing admins to modify the paramaters of each ship class, and/or specify specific ship blueprints that they want to spawn.

Wait, isn\'t that last bit already in?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Blitzwings guidelines throw my figures all out of whack. My heavy fighter would be a Frigate, my Corvette would be a Destroyer and my gunboat would be a Cruiser...

I don\'t think we need auto classifications unless this is controlled at the server level. Each server admin may have a different idea as to what is what. I do think we should have some kind of sensor systems that give us general stats on targets like the mass of it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What exactly constitues fighters, frigates, destroyers, cruisers, heavy cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, dreadnoughts, carriers, and whatnot, should be a server specific thing - and your singleplayer game is basically a locally-hosted server, so....

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hmmm that does give me an idea though, in addition to having a ship name a separate section for additional information would be nice. Like when you target a ship you see the name and under it the class listing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I do really like the idea of your HUD giving you an idea of what\'s coming. Then you can at least know the general size of the ships in the distance before the blocks load. It would also help alleviate all the disagreement of ship classifications.

I think there are two decent options: (1) Names that are vague and only refer to size, so they can apply to any type of ship, or (2) names based on a mixture of size and loadout. On the one hand, you might not want your enemy to know what you\'re packing, but on the other hand this is Sci-Fi, and you can probably scan the enemy craft.

So I\'d prefer option two, where the name is chosen from some chart that compares mass to loadout. So a ship under 100 mass that carries only missles might be listed as a Bomber, etc.

As for naming conventions, I\'d like Starmade to have a list that isn\'t rooted in current millitary terms and roles. It\'s potentially a completely different universe, and I\'d be perfectly happy if the game used a unique list of ship classifications.

Reaction score
    Right now we have the various terms used by navies all over the world. Cruiser, destroyer, corvette (you don\'t see too many of those now) and this is ok, but if we are to use a standard game classification system, we should apply other launguages.

for example, we could use Latin to describe the vessel\'s size or role, an example could be pisciculos, which means small fish. This could be used for fighters.

latin is abut dated though, German or French would be better. Fer Géant could mean a large well shielded ship, a Titan in weight and well hulled and shielded. Panzerschiffe would work too.

this would be hard to incorporate, however, because not everyone can speak German or French and probably not Latin. So where would the community sit on this?

perhaps instead, we use letter of a different alphabet except I their respective translations. We could describe a stealth corvette (current term) as a \"whatever it\'s called\" Zeta class. A widely agreed upon naming code would work well for ship builders and the HUD alike.

On the other hand, we can call certain masses very small, small, medium, large, very large etc. and the some sort of role description, carrier, bomber, picket unit, etc. but avoid using battleship or dreadnought. Instead we might use \"stand-off\" or \"command ship.\"

now we have many different options, various languages, alphabets, and English clasifications to use. But, we cannot use the modern or ancient navy terms, these are confusing and often mean different things to different people. So go ahead and comment, I want to see what you guys think (may become independent thread later)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    it would give players an idea of whats coming it stinks when you lock on to someone and by the time all the thosands of blocks start loading the gigantic ship you picked a fight with kills you in one hit. :/

also in other sci-fi media a frigate could be very diffrent things i would like starmade to have its own classifications so if i tell someon my ship is a frigate then they know what im talking about also check out my post on an idea for a new gamemode!(red vs blue)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Should be player-defined, either by server admins, or through the setup menu for a single-player server.

That way, if you like one classification system, you can use it, or find a server that uses it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    A rose by any other name would shatter a planet just as easily.

I would call the biggest of the big ships, \"Galaxy\" (one of my favorite ships ever) or \"Infinity\" (not Halo a super fan, but the human ships are spiffy) \"Lexx\" maybe? Or the \"Executor class\"

I do very much like the idea of additional sensor data, such as number of AMCs or total mass etc.

If you haven\'t seen it or its various incarnations the starship size comparison chart is nifty, if a bit dated.

http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/campagne/images/Ships/Spaceships.jpg

or just google it.

Anyway, I might not agree with the names/classifications picked but I vehemently agree that we need a standard one supported by Schema, and maybe even auto classified ships in game. That way you can tell if the HMS_Fuzzy_Kitten on your map is a fighter or superdestroyer. It could have drop down menus with selections for either military or civilian, though that could be exploited, so maybe military only.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Deus Machina, or Deus ex Machina, or just Deus. Machine from/of god sounds right for the biggest of the big ships. For ultimate one-upmanship put the name into the game, but only one ship may have it at a time. Then watch in horror as servers start toppling like dominoes while people constantly try to build bigger ships. Or maybe not one per server...