Autokick Ramming players

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Was talking with a friend of mine and we came up with an idea. On most servers ramming is not allowed so to reinforce that rule why dont you autokick people who have been ramming another ship for more then 12 sec (so afew ticks) Or you can log players ramming other ships so that server owners have the option of being able to tell if someone rammed and with the help of autoprograms like the one on redshift kick them out if they do it for too long then autokick. It would be a great idea to help server owners crack down on lag issues.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    How would you tell how was the rammer and who was being rammed? Might be possible to track collisions being handle by the server, and maybe even the players in the core. AI also rams into things alot, due to lack of pathfinding, not to mention drones with Push effect engines.

Besides, the game is planning to have a working collision system, so this all seems counter productive. Servers ban ramming cause of trolls and lag, one will always be here, and the other should get fixed overtime.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    collisions are already logged, EE has a special console webpage for admins that shows just the collision logs. issue is how do you determine the difference between an accidental ram or not? maybe someone is trying to dock in a hanger and accidentally touches the side, resulting in a kick.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How would you tell how was the rammer and who was being rammed? Might be possible to track collisions being handle by the server, and maybe even the players in the core. AI also rams into things alot, due to lack of pathfinding, not to mention drones with Push effect engines.

Besides, the game is planning to have a working collision system, so this all seems counter productive. Servers ban ramming cause of trolls and lag, one will always be here, and the other should get fixed overtime.
    Well you would have a 12 tick buffer if he keeps ramming the same ship he will get kicked

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    A kick might be a bit much. Perhaps teleporting the ships clear of each other's boxdims might be better, and doesn't punish players who messed up. If I accidently manage to get my shuttle stuck in my station's hallway and I can't get it out, then logging me out isn't going to solve the problem.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can see an anti-ram system being five settings in the server config:
    1. Amount of time before counter is reset. (Maybe set a default of 30 minutes?)
    2. Number of rams before action sets in. (Maybe set a default of 12 impacts?)
    3. Action to take when limit is reached. (Do nothing, Instant-teleport server admins to site, autokick, autofreeze, autoteleport, autokill, etc...)
    4. Number of rams before limited action sets in. (Maybe set to a default of 8 impacts?)
    5. Action to take when limited limit is reached. (Do nothing, instant-teleport server admins, instant-teleport players, etc.)

With this, a stuck shuttle can be teleported away after 8 bounces. However, if the player rams someone a few more times within the time limit, they might suffer an autokill or autokick.

Again, you'll affect both the rammer and ram-ee. I think that's realistic, because you see that in real-life settings. (It doesn't matter who threw the first punch, you're both thrown out!) On the other hand, if it's a troll who's ramming everyone he sees, he'll get up to the ram limit before everyone else does, assuming there is more than one player he's harassing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    3. Action to take when limit is reached. (Do nothing, Instant-teleport server admins to site, autokick, autofreeze, autoteleport, autokill, etc...)
    4. Number of rams before limited action sets in. (Maybe set to a default of 8 impacts?)
    5. Action to take when limited limit is reached. (Do nothing, instant-teleport server admins, instant-teleport players, etc.)

With this, a stuck shuttle can be teleported away after 8 bounces. However, if the player rams someone a few more times within the time limit, they might suffer an autokill or autokick.

Again, you'll affect both the rammer and ram-ee. I think that's realistic, because you see that in real-life settings. (It doesn't matter who threw the first punch, you're both thrown out!) On the other hand, if it's a troll who's ramming everyone he sees, he'll get up to the ram limit before everyone else does, assuming there is more than one player he's harassing.
    I agree with this its very detailed much more so then my post

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This suggestion will leave logic-driven-pulse-weapon "lance ships" out in the cold, but I expect the mechanics of the pulse weapon system to change eventually anyway, so this should be fine. (Lance Ships are designed to ram an opponent structure on purpose. Area logic on the ship activates the pulse weapon on impact.)

Reactions: AtraUnam

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I disagree. On servers with collision damage, it may be a good thing to have it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

With this system in place, I'd be in trouble twice every hour...

I'm not the best pilot and I bump into a LOT of things as I fly around visiting people on Ragnarock. And I mean A LOT. (If you ever visited red dwarf while i was there there would almost never be a ship that wasn't tilted or floating away....). I don't want to piss someone off in another faction when I dis-align a squad of drones while visiting then get kicked and come back to my ship toasted because I couldn't use my escape drive...

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Still not as bad as warping your entire fleet onto a star. Poor Centauri.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    With this system in place, I'd be in trouble twice every hour...

I'm not the best pilot and I bump into a LOT of things as I fly around visiting people on Ragnarock. And I mean A LOT. (If you ever visited red dwarf while i was there there would almost never be a ship that wasn't tilted or floating away....). I don't want to piss someone off in another faction when I dis-align a squad of drones while visiting then get kicked and come back to my ship toasted because I couldn't use my escape drive...
    I'm not used to playing on populated servers, so the numbers I gave may be way too low to handle normal players versus trolls. Maybe it should be more like 50 to 100 rams in 2 minutes. And maybe the server could have a whitelist for players who have an accidental tendency to "kiss" other ships.

Reaction score
    I (It doesn't matter who threw the first punch, you're both thrown out!)
    Unless they punched you once, and you didnt retaliate...

On topic, ive had little/no experience with collsions. But if its toggleable than i guess its a good idea

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...if its toggleable than i guess its a good idea
    Yeah, if this were implemented, the default game config would probably come with default values of -1, which can never be reached by a positive-count-only counter measuring a normal human pilot. (And if an entity can ram more than 2.1 Billion times in 30 minutes to roll the counter over to a negative number, the player is probably using some kind of bot-game-player program, and would be quite accustomed to auto kicks.)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Yeah, if this were implemented, the default game config would probably come with default values of -1, which can never be reached by a positive-count-only counter measuring a normal human pilot. (And if an entity can ram more than 2.1 Billion times in 30 minutes to roll the counter over to a negative number, the player is probably using some kind of bot-game-player program, and would be quite accustomed to auto kicks.)
    Or he is just an unlucky fellow rapped in a web of billions of mines.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Shit, admin please remove this post for necro, sorry

-Blakpik

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Perhaps teleporting the ships clear of each other's boxdims might be better
    Not the best idea, if you make some cars out of ships on planets wouldn't they warp around funny? And what about my prized gears on my catapult! :eek:
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421788651,1421788451][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the best way to prevent people trolling with collisions is to enable collision damage. Just make the force needed to break stuff above the "accident level" so that only full-force collisions damage stuff and harm both sides. :cool:

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the best way to prevent people trolling with collisions is to enable collision damage. Just make the force needed to break stuff above the "accident level" so that only full-force collisions damage stuff and harm both sides. :cool:
    Collision Damage at a higher speed (>10?) will be a good solution... when collisions are better optimized.