atmospheric/battle thruster system

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    i have had an idea. what about thruster systems that can help big ships turn and have very persice atmospheric movement. that can hold your ship in place without using any logic? or help you turn in battles? with turney thingies to make your ship seem a bit more realistic? so here is what i have. when building it if your ship has symmetry you can build 2 manuvering thrusters at a time. so you dont have all the hassle of figuring out where exactly to make a new one. so if you place one down the game will see if your ship has symmetry if it does it will offer to place down another on the other side of the ship. (you can turn the notification off in settings) if you accept the offer it will use 2X the resources to build the 2 at a time. (no core needed to build a manuver thruster it will place a template block that you can replace with sensible things. no grav blocks or cores for that template block) the manuvering thruster can only overlap the manuver thruster block. nothing else. in landing mode the ships main thrusters will turn off. the thrusters on the manuver thrusters have increased power to keep the ship still the manuvering thrusters move the ship around for presice landing. if you try to use landing in gravity without enough thrust to keep the ship still it will alert you and not activate landing mode. if you dont touch the WASD, roll and pitch it will try to keep the ship level and staying still. so if you exit the ship while in lading mode it will try its best to keep it still so if another ship rams yours in landing mode it will automaticly try to counter the push and when the ramming stops it returns to hovering. if the manuvering thrusters are off. they dont do anything, simple right? you can also go into normal. the thrusters will provide thrust in moving direction. when turning the side your turning to those thrusters will flip around and push backwards while the other half pushes forward. (for the simple people. you turn right the right side of the thrusters flip around and pushes back. the left side pushes forward). while in sniping mode it will fine tune your turning while sacrificing movement speed. in dogfighting mode it will increase moving and fast turning while sacrificing all precicion movement. combined with overdrive 100% it makes the ship fast! and able to TURN! if the pod is too damaged and not omni-directional it will start moving uncontrollably like its movement bit is damaged. if the thrusters are off it will stop right where it is. if it gets more damaged it moves more untill it gets so damaged it wont work at all

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Please try to edit and format this into something intelligible... o_O

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Thanks a lot. Regardless, from what I can gather this looks like a really complicated system that would go better in Star Citizen, or something, than Starmade. There is a much more streamlined thrust system planned out by Calbiri, and I have thought of an even simpler system that would probably be about as effective.

That said, as far as I can tell you want docked rotating thrusters to be functional, which I agree with to some extent. Personally, I wouldn't mind if any docked structures added their total thrust only in the direction they are facing (maybe with a bonus? IDK), just so that they aren't completely dead weight.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    That said, as far as I can tell you want docked rotating thrusters to be functional, which I agree with to some extent. Personally, I wouldn't mind if any docked structures added their total thrust only in the direction they are facing (maybe with a bonus? IDK), just so that they aren't completely dead weight.
    Already doable with push weapons hitting your own ship.

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Thanks a lot. Regardless, from what I can gather this looks like a really complicated system that would go better in Star Citizen, or something, than Starmade. There is a much more streamlined thrust system planned out by Calbiri, and I have thought of an even simpler system that would probably be about as effective.

about that. i was trying to make paraghraphs. but basicly the manuver thrusters would be ideal on big ships to promote turning. the manuver thrusters are more powerful than the ships. but to counter that. you can only have so many for mass range. for example. you have around 1000 mass you can only have 5 before you enter dead thrust. when you enter that zone. the thrusters in total on one of the manuvering thrusters become 5% weaker than the same amount on ships.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443399561,1443399510][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Already doable with push weapons hitting your own ship.
    these would work much better. if not off where you move is where they try to move you. when not moving they provide no thrust

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A system to boost turning should probably come in the form of a maneuvering thruster block, rather than forcing all large ships to have huge pivoting thruster assemblies. The Enterprise doesn't, the Imperial Star Destroyer doesn't, the Pillar of Autumn doesn't, Moya doesn't (And she sure turns fast sometimes) so why should we have to?

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A system to boost turning should probably come in the form of a maneuvering thruster block, rather than forcing all large ships to have huge pivoting thruster assemblies. The Enterprise doesn't, the Imperial Star Destroyer doesn't, the Pillar of Autumn doesn't, Moya doesn't (And she sure turns fast sometimes) so why should we have to?
    these are optional. not nessecary. but what you said would be good for another block. the hover movement. same princibles as the manuver thrusters. but the more you have the better. but you would have the same effects of dead zone. except because its just one block it wont really stop rams as well

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, in real life right now, spacecraft use thrusters pointing sideways to push the ship into a rotational movement. Plus, most ships made are much longer than they are wide. Using back thrusters to turn would be a rather inefficient way of turning for a lot of ships. A system involving sideways thrusters would provide a lot more rotational force, whereas the back engines would expend most of their force compressing and stretching the spaceship.
    Anyhow, considering the size of thrusters on massive ships, It'd take up an awful lot of space to rotate the thrusters so that they wouldn't collide(Considering the fact that one of them is gonna be rotating 180 degrees to point backwards).
    EDIT: Basically I'm saying it's a lot more efficient to use side thrusters
    Diagram:

Last edited:

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, in real life right now, spacecraft use thrusters pointing sideways to push the ship into a rotational movement. Plus, most ships made are much longer than they are wide. Using back thrusters to turn would be a rather inefficient way of turning for a lot of ships. A system involving sideways thrusters would provide a lot more rotational force, whereas the back engines would expend most of their force compressing and stretching the spaceship.
    Anyhow, considering the size of thrusters on massive ships, It'd take up an awful lot of space to rotate the thrusters so that they wouldn't collide(Considering the fact that one of them is gonna be rotating 180 degrees to point backwards).
    with the system if you add thruster blocks pointing diffrent ways like on all of them with thrust to push it in to the ship it wont need to turn the engine pods. plus you could have alot for big ships. depending on mass of pod so you could have a ton of tiny ones without having 4 humungus ones. so you could place alot in divets in the ship. and have a few big ones and get a similar effect EDIT: if you build a omni-dicrectional pod it wont move unless part of it is destroyed