Astrotech Revision Topic Thread

I may add a poll.

• So I can edit

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • When I add it.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    A Thread to organize all the other threads that in some way suggest a major change to astrotech in any way. It's like the Frequent Suggestions Megathread.

Steps to posting:
    1. Please find any thread that suggests any major change to astrotech in how it behaves and is used.
    2. Copy the OP and paste it in a spoiler with the title of the thread, along with any notable changes to main idea of the thread(i.e. It starts saying that they should heal the AHP pool, then turns to giving them a buff). The last main idea from the copying of the thread is the one that matters.
    3. Add the link to the thread so people can go see it.

Please refrain from posting regular posts, this is a gateway thread and not a discussion thread.

Reaction score
    Alright, so this idea is to give astrotech beams the ability to repair a ship using a blueprint. You press R on an AstroTech computer, a menu opens, and you insert a blueprint. Connect the astrotech beam to a storage. Behind the scenes, blueprints would have a unique identifier number. When a ship is created using a blueprint, it has the same hidden identifier. When repairing the ship, the beams would replace blocks that are no longer on the ship and repair ones that are damaged, using up blocks from the attached storage. To help balance this, it would have a 5 minute cool time from when a ship is in combat. Also, I think AstroTech beams should be allowed to have tertiary effects. Punch-through would allow the beams to heal deeper into a ship, explosive would allow it to repair wider parts, etc.

As always, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
    Link:Read by Council - AstroTech Beams - Repair using a blueprint

Warning: more than 3 months from last post.

Reaction score
    Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    The problem with replacing missing blocks is that the game doesn't keep a ship's blueprint in memory that it can draw from. It doesn't have any way of knowing what your ship is, or what modifications you may have made to a ship that you built from a blueprint. Trying to track the location, type, and facing of every block in real-time, in the event that one goes missing, would be a huge burden on a server's memory. As such, I think that replacing missing blocks on the fly with something like astrotech is unrealistic.

Personally, I'd prefer they do away with the astrotech beam and do something like the new aux. power blocks. Maybe call it a nanobot repair system or something. The idea being that you just have a system on the ship that can repair any damaged block on a ship over time, and perhaps if you have the proper materials in storage (link the unit to a storage block?) The benefit to this is that it would repair blocks behind outer hull that might be buried and undetectable visually.

For sake of balance, it is supposed that the system would lose efficiency or be inoperable under combat conditions.