Recognized by Council Astronaut moving along the rail when aligned to it

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As I mentioned in this thread, it would be good if, when an astronaut aligns with a rail, that they move along the rail, just as if they were a docked entity, complete with logic interaction. The feet/mag boots would be the docker.

Result: Instantly available automatic horizontal walkways and no-cab, single-block vertical elevators. Almost as good as ladders.

Edits:
    To keep astronaut movement intuitive, stop the rail movement when the controlling player enters a movement command. In other words, if they want to walk off the walkway, jump up and down, or walk manually, stop the rail movement and let them move at a normal pace, while remaining aligned to the surface. They should probably continue to move if they sit down on the rail.

The texture should probably be scrolling in real time in the direction of the rail, to make it look like it is moving, keeping pace with the astronaut, and generally making it look like a moving walkway.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    As I mentioned in this thread, it would be good if, when an astronaut aligns with a rail, that they move along the rail, just as if they were a docked entity, complete with logic interaction. The feet/mag boots would be the docker.

Result: Instantly available automatic horizontal walkways and no-cab, single-block vertical elevators. Almost as good as ladders.

Edits:
    To keep astronaut movement intuitive, stop the rail movement when the controlling player enters a movement command. In other words, if they want to walk off the walkway, jump up and down, or walk manually, stop the rail movement and let them move at a normal pace, while remaining aligned to the surface. They should probably continue to move if they sit down on the rail.

The texture should probably be scrolling in real time in the direction of the rail, to make it look like it is moving, keeping pace with the astronaut, and generally making it look like a moving walkway.
    Niced idea. Maybe pressing "R" on any rail to activate. Reminds me of a combonation of minecraft minecarts and factorio transport belts.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Interesting idea. There would be quite a few uses I could squeeze out of this. I like it.

While i'm all for saving block IDs this one might warrant it's own. That way you would have a block that people recognize as an astronaut conveyor and wouldnt have people randomly riding rails where it wasnt intended.

Last edited:

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like this idea, but we could make it more realistic. Introduce a new block called a "Plex Mover" could be introduced. It could be turned on and off, either through logic or just by pressing R on it. You'd have to be close enough for it to "grip" your feet (or your body if moving you up or down). It would be animated with the direction it moves the player, and it could have it's direction changed like rails do, but with other plex movers instead.

Reactions: aRottenKomquat

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like this idea, but we could make it more realistic. Introduce a new block called a "Plex Mover" could be introduced. It could be turned on and off, either through logic or just by pressing R on it. You'd have to be close enough for it to "grip" your feet (or your body if moving you up or down).
    This sounds like a rotatable, not station exclusive plex lift...

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This sounds like a rotatable, not station exclusive plex lift...
    It wouldn't be a plex lift because there'd be no platform. It would simply look like a conveyor belt and anyone close enough would be moved by it.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It wouldn't be a plex lift because there'd be no platform. It would simply look like a conveyor belt and anyone close enough would be moved by it.
    Ok, a rotatable plex lift with a new animation. My point is that we already have a block which does a very similar thing and I would rather see it's functionality expended than having a new block.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok, a rotatable plex lift with a new animation. My point is that we already have a block which does a very similar thing and I would rather see it's functionality expended than having a new block.
    No, because a plex lift creates a platform, and that platform is what moves the astronaut. It also needs to be triggered. Why would having a "Plex Mover" as an option be bad? :p When I played MineCraft, I had over 200 mods on my server and thousands of blocks to choose from. There were a variety of ways to move people (including several types of conveyor belts), and that was a good thing. Why should there be only be 1 single option? A conveyor belt style mover would also be a lot more compact and could move more than 1 person at a time along it's route.

Reaction score
    This would also answer the call of everyone who wants ladders. Interesting idea.