Astronaut Classes

Reaction score
    With all the recent updates that have been done to reworking the dynamics of ships, I would like some input on the Astronaut. I believe that adding a "class" system could help out with working various parts of gameplay and give an added benefit to have several people working together on larger ships. I have some recommendation, the numbers used in the example below are just examples and should be looked into for balance purposes. I have worked on bonuses but not penalties, as the bonus are pretty small.

Pilot:
    +5% Max Speed
    -5% Jump recharge

Gunner
    +5% Weapon Damage
    -5% Weapon Reload

Engineer
    +5% Support Effects
    +5% Astrotechian Beam effect

Scientist
    -5% Creation Speed (factories)
    +5% Increased Production.

In order to make this fair and so people aren't changing on the fly, it should be part of the Plexundeather.

I will update this thread with more options, bonuses, and penalties as I continue to think of this. I would like to hear other opinions as well as any other "class" ideas some people may have. I am thinking of a Pilot and Captain idea, one for small ships (under x mass) and one for large ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The scientist class would be very tricky to implement, since factories can only be placed on planets or asteroids. The other effects can be tied to the entered entity.

If the player is getting a bonus, then there should also be a penalty:

Gunner:
    +5% Weapon Damage
    -5% Weapon Reload
    -10% Support/salvage effect
    -10% Shield capacity/recharge rate

Pilot:
    +10% Max Speed
    +10% Jump recharge
    -5% Weapon Damage
    -5% Support/salvage effect

Engineer:
    +10% Salvage/support effect
    +10% shield/shield regen
    +5% max speed
    -5% weapon damage
    -5% weapon reload
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434324364,1434320791][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually, it would be fun to see a ground-combat based class as well for those that want to focus on the FPS potential of the game for base-invasions.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think modular suits that can be configured into a variety of roles would work better and be more interesting.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Or we could just keep it fully sandbox and make the players design their own astronaut stuff.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    ^^^ A module system would work wonders, or something like that. A system that lets you customize an astronaut suit would go a long way towards modular and fun astronaut gameplay.

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd rather just have overdrive not max out and need less blocks per total blocks instead of having a pilot class give me top speed bonus. 10% isn't very much.

That said, how would the pilot work, certain percent of ship max speed added? Or acceleration, and would it count overdrive?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    StarMade astronauts don't go to school, so there wouldn't be astronaut classes! BAM! Take that, pro-astronaut-class guys! :cool:

Reactions: TheOmega