Astronaut assault weapons

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    While blocks for the ships get alot of attention it does seem the astronaut seems to have gone to the back burner for a while and what we need to do is get or space boys and space girls some new toys and by toys i mean weapons that can bring the fight to the enemy in boarding actions and i will list them in paragraphs for simplicity and separation.

The pistol needs a revamp from being an auto fire to just click firing i know this isnt new but felt it needed on here

The laser assault riflewill take the laser pistols auto fire but will have a more slighter damage point to it where the laser pistol does 1 or 2 points the laser assault rifle will have 5 to 6 points of damage to an astronaut and 2 points of damage for ship armor

The shot gun: which allows hallway clearing and each bolt does 2.0 points of damage

The rocket launcher: more or less stays the same but gets a reskinning and gets an over the shoulder animation with a rocket launcher tube look (square shaped bazooka)

The sniper rifle: more orless the same damage but with a actual rifle animation

The breeching charge: which allows you to break through certain blocks like the plex door in two hits and the blast door in 4 hits the glass door in 1 hit this would force many designers to consider counter boarding measures like adding turrets in ships and more blast doors to protect vital areas

The hack tool: this would allow you to open a certain number of faction locked doors on an enemy ship but this would consume energy and once the energy runs out the hack tool disappears (breaks)

Now for an even funner weapon

The laser gatlingun gun this gun would fire as fast a 100%cannon on cannon link and the damage points would be 5.0 per hit but comes at the cost of movement in gravity and slower turn rate in gravity or out of gravity.

These would make boarding more exciting and tactical vs being stonewalled by a plex door that you cant open unless you brought warheads and a ton of ship cores to breech every door in said ship at the cost of player health

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Pretty well thought out list. I think the laser pistol should do a good chunk of damage is if it is to be semi-auto. Also the laser rifle would be cool to have an over-heating bar to keep it from being OP.

I particularly like the Hack-tool. Here are a few potential hack ideas:

-Hack the Hyper-drive (temporarily prevents warp jumps.)
    -Power Drain: generates brown-outs. Holding power-conduit to ground inflicts DOT to astronaut.
    -Smash & Grab: steal one weapon computer. (Yes...I am evil) Thief actually has to carry meta-item of computer out of ship.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    Pretty well thought out list. I think the laser pistol should do a good chunk of damage is if it is to be semi-auto. Also the laser rifle would be cool to have an over-heating bar to keep it from being OP.

I particularly like the Hack-tool. Here are a few potential hack ideas:

-Hack the Hyper-drive (temporarily prevents warp jumps.)
    -Power Drain: generates brown-outs. Holding power-conduit to ground inflicts DOT to astronaut.
    -Smash & Grab: steal one weapon computer. (Yes...I am evil) Thief actually has to carry meta-item of computer out of ship.
    Lol i knew i was forgetting something. Non the less thanks for you thoughts can only hope this idea gives us some new stuff and hopefully more contribute to the idea

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    To build up more populated battles, I think squads of NPCs should be available for hire, somehow. These squads would basically be a small "fleet" of NPC astronauts that follow an order, and would serve as fire teams, able to perform direct assaults, flanking actions, sabotage, block-breaking, guard duty/holding action, and merging with other teams to create larger groups. Not to mention player-centric actions, like follow, protect, attack, and avoid.

With suggested weapons above, you get the added choice of hiring single-weapon teams, mixed-weapon teams, or combining them for a massive combined-arms force.

Having lots of NPC astronauts running around takes a lot of CPU, but the AI could be relatively simple, and a simple "follow me" command would allow players to pull NPCs out of stuck situations. I'd rather have my server melt in the middle of a fun astronaut battle than when trying a peaceful planet landing.

Beyond weapons, more gadgets would be fun. Mostly for using with blocks we already have. (Specifically, I'm thinking of a laser tripwire, but that could be simulated by a quickly-assembled area trigger system.)

The trick is to allow astronauts to place blocks on un-owned structures. The astronaut-placed blocks would not directly affect the un-owned entity, but the blocks should be in the same "grid". Maybe astronaut-placed blocks could be their own entity, which just happens to have a grid that aligns with the un-owned entity. For example, an astronaut should be able to place a reactor block to power a portable turret, without that reactor block contributing power to the entity on which the block is placed.

I don't think a breaching charge is needed as a separate object. That sounds superfluous. Just carry a small stack of demo blocks. If you get hit while carrying them, boom, your whole squad is taken out. Imagine making a time bomb, using a demo block, and some delay blocks. It would be much more massive than a conventional dynamite-triggered-by-an-alarm-clock object, but it would use all the stuff in the game that we already have.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Boarding can't function until the use of shipboard weapons to annihilate astronauts is fixed. They should focus on fixing that first before implementing any new weapons for astronauts.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    Boarding can't function until the use of shipboard weapons to annihilate astronauts is fixed. They should focus on fixing that first before implementing any new weapons for astronauts.
    Well obviously a shipboard weapon is going to kill an astronaut in one or 2 hits regardless the only way to get around that is through boarding craft

The hack tool and breeching charge are ways of allowing it to occur unless if you are meaning shipboard weapons within the halls of your ships being OP then i would be inclined to agree though right now i have made designs for turrets to counter my own idea
    [doublepost=1470175887,1470175345][/doublepost]
    To build up more populated battles, I think squads of NPCs should be available for hire, somehow. These squads would basically be a small "fleet" of NPC astronauts that follow an order, and would serve as fire teams, able to perform direct assaults, flanking actions, sabotage, block-breaking, guard duty/holding action, and merging with other teams to create larger groups. Not to mention player-centric actions, like follow, protect, attack, and avoid.

With suggested weapons above, you get the added choice of hiring single-weapon teams, mixed-weapon teams, or combining them for a massive combined-arms force.

Having lots of NPC astronauts running around takes a lot of CPU, but the AI could be relatively simple, and a simple "follow me" command would allow players to pull NPCs out of stuck situations. I'd rather have my server melt in the middle of a fun astronaut battle than when trying a peaceful planet landing.

Beyond weapons, more gadgets would be fun. Mostly for using with blocks we already have. (Specifically, I'm thinking of a laser tripwire, but that could be simulated by a quickly-assembled area trigger system.)

The trick is to allow astronauts to place blocks on un-owned structures. The astronaut-placed blocks would not directly affect the un-owned entity, but the blocks should be in the same "grid". Maybe astronaut-placed blocks could be their own entity, which just happens to have a grid that aligns with the un-owned entity. For example, an astronaut should be able to place a reactor block to power a portable turret, without that reactor block contributing power to the entity on which the block is placed.

I don't think a breaching charge is needed as a separate object. That sounds superfluous. Just carry a small stack of demo blocks. If you get hit while carrying them, boom, your whole squad is taken out. Imagine making a time bomb, using a demo block, and some delay blocks. It would be much more massive than a conventional dynamite-triggered-by-an-alarm-clock object, but it would use all the stuff in the game that we already have.
    The NPC is topic for another thread which i wasnt intending to broach here while i like the idea of running a squad the npc logic is very subpar when i tried them they simply didnt follow me into the ship nor did the stay i hope they fix it sometime soon

The breeching charge i was more or less thinking c4 as a use the breech a door type block so if you wanted to break the door only you could without damaging armor

But to expand it would work against soft targets like computers or reactors or shielding

But i could imagine you getting shot while having it in your inventory and you getting blown to kingdom come with your squad and after you getting called a moron for ruining a well thought out plan

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The hack tool and breeching charge are ways of allowing it to occur unless if you are meaning shipboard weapons within the halls of your ships being OP then i would be inclined to agree though right now i have made designs for turrets to counter my own idea
    I was referring to shipboard weapons in corridors to wipe away boarders. This includes turrets. It is too easy to make something that can instantly vaporize an astronaut. All usage of shipboard weaponry against boarders has to go.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    I was referring to shipboard weapons in corridors to wipe away boarders. This includes turrets. It is too easy to make something that can instantly vaporize an astronaut. All usage of shipboard weaponry against boarders has to go.
    Hmm indeed i think their may be ways to address that problem so im very inclined to agree but i feel that is a topic we should bring else where i think armor could rectify that problem somewhat but i see where your coming from

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Add to that list astronaut armor, astronaut heavy assault armor and a high-speed jet pack.:D

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    Add to that list astronaut armor, astronaut heavy assault armor and a high-speed jet pack.:D
    Lol i do enjoy highspeed jet packs curse it all i didnt think of it (gets down on knees and spreads arms out) oh the humanity!!!!!!!!

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    All usage of shipboard weaponry against boarders has to go.
    Could it be..? Is Lecic opening the door for tiered weapons? :confused:

But seriously... without any internal defensive weapons boarders could become the single biggest unbalanced element in the game. Once inside a border could take down a massive ship unhindered (and just try getting rent from him). Can we all agree we want some form of hindering? Epic boarding battles are needed so there is something to do outside of a core.

Maybe we should add some decent armour for the astronauts so they can take a few hits. Or, with addition of interiors, this issue could be addressed. This could be considered an exploit because logically, the interior would be chewed up by defensive fire (so this should be fixed). Once the game can distinguish between outside and inside Schine could manage a Nerf for internal weapons.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score

But seriously... without any internal defensive weapons boarders could become the single biggest unbalanced element in the game. Once inside a border could take down a massive ship unhindered (and just try getting rent from him). Can we all agree we want some form of hindering? Epic boarding battles are needed so there is something to do outside of a core.

Maybe we should add some decent armour for the astronauts so they can take a few hits. Or, with addition of interiors, this issue could be addressed. This could be considered an exploit because logically, the interior would be chewed up by defensive fire (so this should be fixed). Once the game can distinguish between outside and inside Schine could manage a Nerf for internal weapons.
    I have made a duel barreled turret the with just 4 cannons and it does at least 2.0 damage with rapidity of fire it would shred most boarders (i hope or my pride and joy will be hyjacked

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Sorry, what? How, exactly?

Have you forgotten that we're getting crew? Your anti-boarder defenses are your crew.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    You know what else makes a good breaching tool? Light saber. And we already have the effect in game, all that's needed is a modified flashlight model and addition of proper damage to anything occupying the cube it passes through. Also blocking any weapons fire that enters that single cube ^^

Reactions: TheGT

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think that internal turrets are ok, they just need to be rebalanced. Most importantly, there needs to be some sort of way to make it so that internal turrets don't have shields. The simplest way to to that, it seems to me, is add an anti-infantry turret dock, which does not share shields and perhaps can only make very small turrets. But it is the only turret that can be set to target players. A rocket launcher or similar weapon could easily take these out, so a player would just have to not get killed in that time. Which, if everything is balanced right, should take skill but be perfectly doable.

What DOES need to go are internal ship-mounted weapons, particularly logic-fired systems that fill corridors with damage pulses or swarmers.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think that internal turrets are ok, they just need to be rebalanced. Most importantly, there needs to be some sort of way to make it so that internal turrets don't have shields. The simplest way to to that, it seems to me, is add an anti-infantry turret dock, which does not share shields and perhaps can only make very small turrets. But it is the only turret that can be set to target players. A rocket launcher or similar weapon could easily take these out, so a player would just have to not get killed in that time. Which, if everything is balanced right, should take skill but be perfectly doable.

What DOES need to go are internal ship-mounted weapons, particularly logic-fired systems that fill corridors with damage pulses or swarmers.
    A pure beam turret with 3 modules is enough to instakill a player. Internal turrets are overpowered no matter what you do. Unless you plan on making them X/Cannon only with no pulse and limit them to 2 modules maximum.

Reaction score
    I think that a more reasonable way to do this is to make weapons inside the ship capable of damaging the ship....while ignoring shields. So turrets set to anti-astronaut can damage the ship, ignoring shields. Damage-pulse anti-boarder system??? Not such a great idea anymore.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think that a more reasonable way to do this is to make weapons inside the ship capable of damaging the ship....while ignoring shields. So turrets set to anti-astronaut can damage the ship, ignoring shields. Damage-pulse anti-boarder system??? Not such a great idea anymore.
    The problem with this is that it's a tad difficult to determine what's "inside" the ship.