Ask Mega

Is this trend(of council-applicants making Q&A threads) good or bad?

• good

Votes: 16 51.6%
    • bad

Votes: 4 12.9%
    • neither

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    if you would decide what the bobby ai is capable of tell me, what could it do. ;)
    Parallel to selecting a prespecified AI program, like it is currently the case, basic commands and command-chains should be available
    Command should be at least:
    • Go to step <n> // goes to the n-th step in the command-chain
    • If <condition> then <command-chain> (else <command-chain>) // self-explanatory
    • Go to <sector> (<abort-condition>) // should be self-explanatory; when the optional condition is/becomes true the command stops and the chain continues, without the condition, the command stops when the specified sector is entered
    • Fire at <relation-status/faction/entity*> (<entity-type>) (<free/docked/onrail/turret>) (<weapon-computer>) // fires at the nearest entity, which fullfills the conditions; will NOT rotate the ship; if a specific entity is defined, all optional arguments are ignored
    • Fire (<weapon-computer>) // fires straight forward
    • Follow <entity> (<abort-condition>) // follows a specified specific entity; will NOT rotate the ship
    • Thrust <forward/backward/upward/downward/left/right/stop> // accelerates the ship in the given direction, or stops it, depending on the argument.
    • Wait for <condition> // waits until the condition is true
    • Logic-output <condition> // outputs the result of the condition to all logic-blocks linked to this block.
    • Rotate towards <relation-status/faction/entity*> (<entity-type>) (<free/docked/onrail/turret>) // rotates this entity towards the nearest entity, which fullfills the conditions; if a specific entity is defined, all optional arguments are ignored
    • Rotate <Axis> <clockwise/counterclickwise> <degrees/abort-condition> // rotates this entity along the given axis in the given direction a specific amount of degrees, or until an abort-condition is met.
    Available conditions should be at least:
    • true
    • false
    • <condition>&<condition> // and
    • <condition>|<condition> // or
    • <condition>^<condition> // xor
    • !<condition> // not
    • logic-input (<n>) // without the parameter the value of the last input, that changed is used, otherwise the value of the n-th input[don't ask me how the inputs are ordered though]
    • distanceTo <entity> >/=/< <n> // compares the distance to a specified entity with a number.
    • distanceToNearest (<entity-type>) (<faction/relation-status>) (<free/docked/onrail/turret>) >/=/< <n> // compares distance to the nearest entity, that fulfills the conditions
    • shotHitTarget // is true for as long as the impact-feedback on the HUD of a player would be visible, false if otherwise (I have no idea what this would be used for, but well, why not)
    • hit (<weapon-type/support-type>) // true whenever this entity is hit by a weapon.
    What were some questions that should have been asked on the application but were not?
    While I cannot find a missing question from the top of my head, som questions were a little vague regarding what exactly they asked for.
    When the zombie-apocalypse hits, which fellow council candidate will you throw-under-the-bus first?
    I cannot answer this question until the council has been elected. (Too many choices right now)
    When did you stop physically abusing your your wife and children?
    I never had any, so I never even started. :p

Reaction score
    I never had any, so I never even started. :p
    I forget that most o' yall are youngins...
    So when will you start abusing your wife and children?

(On that note: Curiously, the "Join Date" on the applications indicates that all of you joined in 1970.... )

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I forget that most o' yall are youngins...
    So when will you start abusing your wife and children?
    Currently, I don't plan to have any, so even if I would want it, I couldn't start, unless I change my plans.

(On that note: Curiously, the "Join Date" on the applications indicates that all of you joined in 1970.... )
    Because 0 Unix time was on the 1.1.1970 at 0:00 GMT
    1. There's a lot of people who enjoy Starmade but either lack the reason or time to get involved with the forums. How would you ensure that the opinions of various not-as-social players on servers or playing single-player are represented?
    Knowing the opinion of a player, who does not interact with ANY forum, and does ONLY play singleplayer, is impossible, unless someone knows said player in person, which is a lucky coincidence. Without the ability to know said players' opinion, it is impossible to properly represent them.
    As for those, who play on servers, word will spread.
    2. While there's nothing stopping any regular member from doing so, the attention that is likely to come with a 'councilor' badge would be a great boon for most forms of community interaction. Besides the described duties of a councilor do you have any other ideas or plans to help the community?
    Apart from doing my job(s) properly, and continuing what I did before as good as I can, I have no big plans or ideas. I usually make those when there is an urgent need.
    3. Without any interaction with Schine or Realms Network or any game updates, how long do you think this community would be considered active? What is your definition of an active community?
    This one is tough, not only do you request a prediction for something I (personally) have never experienced before, but also does it request a definition for something I cannot clearly define.
    My vague definition of an active community:
    • has at least 5 or so members, who visit daily, and aren't a copy of one another (numbers may vary depending on the target audience)
    • an answerable question, when asked, is answered within an hour (numbers and answerability may vary depending on the target audience)
      • If the community is region specific, night time is excluded.
    As for how long the StarMade community will remain active when schine disengages, I honestly have no idea. However, there is the potential, that the entire forumside community will deviate part of the forums onto a different topic.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Serious questions: (sorry if some were already asked)
    How often will you respond to people on the forums? How long will you be able to give genuine responses to all the half-assed ideas people bring before you start getting frustrated?
    Are you going to be bias'ed towards one set of issues and not the other? What issues are the closest to your heart? Do you already have a set list of issues that you want to lobby for? How much clout do you have in the system?
    How is it being German, and obviously superior to all lazy and stupid Americans? How will the Greece debit issue be solved? Are you ready to deal with the Russians? How is the free university in Germany, and have you ever heard of the term "Student Loans"? How serious are you in real life, or are you pretty laid back? What is the coolest/most impressive sounding German phrase you know that can impress English people that wont understand what you are saying? :P
    Do you think Schema needs a team of coders, and not just himself? How will he recruit/pay for a team, and what would a dream team look like?
    What do you think of Schema? Do you know him personally, or have you spoken with him at all? What is he doing right, and what could he be doing... better on? What do you think of the staff/management here?
    What do you think of the ship sizes as of late? If you were to redesign the ship class chart, what would the new masses be?
    What is your relationship with the other "semi-famous" people in Starmade? Do you respect their views, disagree with their views, etc? What about your relationship with the staff? With me? :p
    Are you in school? What are you studying in school? How is it going?
    Do you have a job? How is it? Will this new job/volunteer position affect your real life job?
    What kind of books do you read? What kind of movies do you watch? What is your favorite genre?
    How confident are you about winning a seat? If their were only 8 seats, and you ended up coming in 9th, who would be the guy right above you in 8th you think? If you weren't elected, who would you want to be elected in your place?
    What do you think about these questions? Am I doing it right?
    How crazy ar- Ahem. Do you believe we landed on the moon? Have you watch the Apollo documentary videos made by NASA? (they are like 20 minutes long each, made in the 1970's.) What is your stance on climate change? Do you think republican governors banning discussion of climate change in their office's will finally rid the globe of this threat? Is it a threat? Do you believe that political scientists that are paid to write bogus articles (happens on both sides) could be the main cause of American's distrust in Science?
    How much of an astronomer are you? What do you think of Pluto?
    What kind of mouse do you use, and what is your favorite one? What does your setup look like?
    If you were a meme, what would it be? What is your favorite meme? Reaction image? What is your least favorite? What do you find most annoying?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ok programmable AI. i see why that appeals to you :).
    hope fully you could be convinced that a computer game should also appeal to the non programming folk ;) i mean i like it but yk

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    How often will you respond to people on the forums? How long will you be able to give genuine responses to all the half-assed ideas people bring before you start getting frustrated?
    Warning: the response to this question is likely biased, due to the nature of the question. Any analysis on how biased it would be would also be biased, and so on. You have been warned.
    I logon daily and usually sit most of my time here waiting for an alert to come in, or simply scrolling through my alerts. I reply whenever I feel the need for a reply from my side. I also usually don't reply instead of a half-assed reply, unless asked to reply, in which case I don't know what exactly will happen, as it never happened before.

Are you going to be bias'ed towards one set of issues and not the other? What issues are the closest to your heart? Do you already have a set list of issues that you want to lobby for? How much clout do you have in the system?
    Warning: the response to this question is likely biased, due to the nature of the question. Any analysis on how biased it would be would also be biased, and so on. You have been warned.
    I will probably be neutrol to most issues, as long as modding isn't involved, or I feel attacked for some odd reason (which is rare anyways, most insults aren't even capable of that).
    As you may guess from my current badge, I am a modder (and to my knowledge one of the most-in-debth modders[modifying the code itself, not just configs or shaders]). As such, it is obvious, that I will likely push for more options and accessibility in that regard. But usually I know the limits of subtlety

How is it being German, and obviously superior to all lazy and stupid Americans? How will the Greece debit issue be solved? Are you ready to deal with the Russians? How is the free university in Germany, and have you ever heard of the term "Student Loans"? How serious are you in real life, or are you pretty laid back? What is the coolest/most impressive sounding German phrase you know that can impress English people that wont understand what you are saying? :p
    -will be answered in the next round-

Do you think Schema needs a team of coders, and not just himself? How will he recruit/pay for a team, and what would a dream team look like?
    I am not sure on that one. Every other team-member would have to be on-par with schema overall, get along well with schine in general, be trustworthy, the list goes on and on.
    I don't know a single person, that I know fits all those criteria at once. This will probably be very biased, but I think the closest there is, of which I know, would be myself.

What do you think of Schema? Do you know him personally, or have you spoken with him at all? What is he doing right, and what could he be doing... better on? What do you think of the staff/management here?
    Schema is pretty nice, while I don't know him in person, I did speak to him on several occasions, doing some advising regarding some issues.
    What he could do better? Work faster, work more, and use some common sense regarding optimization in some cases. (srsly, when I look at some lines of code I go "wtf, I can come up with something more efficient within a second")
    The staff in general is nice, and IMO usually unbiased. The niceness is gone once you step outside of the boundary of the rules for too long though.

What do you think of the ship sizes as of late? If you were to redesign the ship class chart, what would the new masses be?
    I don't think anything of them. As long as my computer from 3 years ago can handle it, I don't see any problem.
    Regarding class charts, I don't rank ships by a class, I rate them along a secret rating system of mine.

What is your relationship with the other "semi-famous" people in Starmade? Do you respect their views, disagree with their views, etc? What about your relationship with the staff? With me? :p
    List all by your definition "semi-famous" people please.
    My relationship with the staff is rather positive.
    I have no idea about my relationship with you, too few samples.

Are you in school? What are you studying in school? How is it going?
    Yes, but it's a secret.

Do you have a job? How is it? Will this new job/volunteer position affect your real life job?
    Currently, no.

What kind of books do you read? What kind of movies do you watch? What is your favorite genre?
    I stopped reading books since a reading-competition in 6th grade. Funny how many pedagogical measurements completely backfire on me.

How confident are you about winning a seat? If their were only 8 seats, and you ended up coming in 9th, who would be the guy right above you in 8th you think? If you weren't elected, who would you want to be elected in your place?
    I swing between having the seat for 100% sure and failing to get more than 10 votes. I have no idea about the rest, but I think either rimmer or gravypod should replace me in case I don't make it.

What do you think about these questions? Am I doing it right?
    I have no idea.

How crazy ar- Ahem. Do you believe we landed on the moon? Have you watch the Apollo documentary videos made by NASA? (they are like 20 minutes long each, made in the 1970's.) What is your stance on climate change? Do you think republican governors banning discussion of climate change in their office's will finally rid the globe of this threat? Is it a threat? Do you believe that political scientists that are paid to write bogus articles (happens on both sides) could be the main cause of American's distrust in Science?
    - will be answered in the next round -

What kind of mouse do you use, and what is your favorite one? What does your setup look like?

If you were a meme, what would it be? What is your favorite meme? Reaction image? What is your least favorite? What do you find most annoying?

The next round will come soon, I currently have something urgent coming up(for today only).

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    You seem like... A very logical person!

Thank you for spending the time to answer them! :D

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Round two:
    How is it being German, and obviously superior to all lazy and stupid Americans?
    idk what the differences would be, I have never been not-german.
    How will the Greece debit issue be solved?
    Oh…my. You are asking me to answer the impossible. If everything will go as it currently does, the debt issue won't ever be resolved, as it will always come back. That doesn't mean no change can happen though, who knows?
    Are you ready to deal with the Russians?
    You are asking the impossible again. Only Russians can deal with Russians(that is why it is always good to have non-negative relations). :P
    How is the free university in Germany, and have you ever heard of the term "Student Loans"?
    Free university is free :U
    I have heard of the term "Student loan", yes, but only through youtube from american channels.
    How serious are you in real life, or are you pretty laid back?
    What do you think? I am spending almost the entire time of the day on these forums, do you think I am serious about life?
    What is the coolest/most impressive sounding German phrase you know that can impress English people that wont understand what you are saying? :p
    I cannot judge that, as I have never been not german. You're probably better off asking SamWaltonMan. :P

How crazy ar- Ahem. Do you believe we landed on the moon? Have you watch the Apollo documentary videos made by NASA? (they are like 20 minutes long each, made in the 1970's.)
    Yes, I do think some manmade object(s) did land on the moon[and I have proof for that], if man was with it, I don't know, but considering the available technology at the time, I think so.
    What is your stance on climate change? Do you think republican governors banning discussion of climate change in their office's will finally rid the globe of this threat? Is it a threat? Do you believe that political scientists that are paid to write bogus articles (happens on both sides) could be the main cause of American's distrust in Science?
    1: climate change is happening, whether or not it is caused by pollution is debatable, but the correlating data speak for themselves.
    2: ignoring it won't remove it.
    3: it is a serious threat, if the average global temparature rises by 5°C or more, because if that happens, frozen methanehydrate in the arctic and antarctic regions is likely to melt, releasing enough methane to increase the temparature by about 5°C again. (and about 10°C of a temparature increase within a short time are enough to throw off the global ecosystem, causing yet another mass-extinction)
    4: I don't know about that, I am not an american.

1: I cannot judge that
    2: What am I supposed to think of Pluto?

Logitech M100 (PID: LZ036HR)
    A monitor, keyboard, mouse, hifi, lan-switch, and a lappy on the desk, a tower hanging below the desk, connected to the monitor, keyboard, mouse and hifi.
    1: I would be the entire internet. :P
    2: There is no single favorite, especially if one does not know all memes yet.
    3: See above
    4: See above, replace "favorite" with "least favorite"
    5: Anything, that is repeated too often

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Round two:

idk what the differences would be, I have never been not-german.

Oh…my. You are asking me to answer the impossible. If everything will go as it currently does, the debt issue won't ever be resolved, as it will always come back. That doesn't mean no change can happen though, who knows?

You are asking the impossible again. Only Russians can deal with Russians(that is why it is always good to have non-negative relations). :p

Free university is free :U
    I have heard of the term "Student loan", yes, but only through youtube from american channels.

What do you think? I am spending almost the entire time of the day on these forums, do you think I am serious about life?

I cannot judge that, as I have never been not german. You're probably better off asking SamWaltonMan. :p

Yes, I do think some manmade object(s) did land on the moon[and I have proof for that], if man was with it, I don't know, but considering the available technology at the time, I think so.

1: climate change is happening, whether or not it is caused by pollution is debatable, but the correlating data speak for themselves.
    2: ignoring it won't remove it.
    3: it is a serious threat, if the average global temparature rises by 5°C or more, because if that happens, frozen methanehydrate in the arctic and antarctic regions is likely to melt, releasing enough methane to increase the temparature by about 5°C again. (and about 10°C of a temparature increase within a short time are enough to throw off the global ecosystem, causing yet another mass-extinction)
    4: I don't know about that, I am not an american.

1: I cannot judge that
    2: What am I supposed to think of Pluto?

Logitech M100 (PID: LZ036HR)
    A monitor, keyboard, mouse, hifi, lan-switch, and a lappy on the desk, a tower hanging below the desk, connected to the monitor, keyboard, mouse and hifi.

1: I would be the entire internet. :p
    2: There is no single favorite, especially if one does not know all memes yet.
    3: See above
    4: See above, replace "favorite" with "least favorite"
    5: Anything, that is repeated too often
    That was a good read, you win keptick points for that (way better than thalanor points).

Reaction score
    Side note: Brick-red letters on medium-grey field are hard to read for slightly red-green color-blind people.
    thx

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Side note: Brick-red letters on medium-grey field are hard to read for slightly red-green color-blind people.
    thx
    They are also hard to read for everyone else(it was intended to be hard to read). Mark the text in your browser to read it easily, if you're interested.

Reaction score
    The most impressive German word: "Naturwissenschaften"

...All that, just means "science"

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    What is your oppinion on captain's chairs? :p

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    What is your oppinion on captain's chairs? :p
    While they would be a nice gimmick(although an essential one for many RP-players), I am perfectly fine with the current ship-entering mechanics, and my priorities lie elsewhere.(When in RP in StarMade, I also usually enter the role of an AI[rogue or not], and as such the current core-mechanic is kind of essential to my personal RP-style)

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just going to revive this one, no need for a new thread.
    I voted for you (twice now) here are my questions:

How are you as a past councilor planning on doing things differently this time around (if you get elected)?

What do you think the biggest obstacles the council faced in the past, and what issues do you foresee in the coming council?

How much faith do you have in the public choice nature of the council for providing un-biased and informed council members?

What will YOU do as a councilor to pay-forward and honor my vote for you?

Edit: Bonus question: Why do you think I voted for you?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    How are you as a past councilor planning on doing things differently this time around (if you get elected)?
    I actually do not know right of the bat what I would do different. There surely will be such things, but I am not able to make a list of them currently. Mostly because I do not know for sure right now what larger events will happen in the next term.
    What do you think the biggest obstacles the council faced in the past, and what issues do you foresee in the coming council?
    At the start of the term, there were a few issues, non of which are likely to occur this term. These issues were:
    • The lack of an infrastructure at the start of the term(was to be expected, however, the rather large lack of it was kind of surprising)
    • The impeachment
      Whether or not you think it was right or wrong, there were issues between the councillors beforehand, that interfered with the council. I will not take a position on whether or not the taken action was 'right' or not, because I do not want to rekindle the debate with this.
    • The inactivity of some councillors.
      I am not going to name them, because they may have had a good reason to not be active, especially during the unplanned extension of the term. Let's just hope the new councillors won't have to suffer from the same effects a prolonged term may have.
    How much faith do you have in the public choice nature of the council for providing un-biased and informed council members?
    Assuming people can learn, pure popularity will likely get less effective over time.
    Even if somehow a completely incompetent council is elected, the incompetence will likely prevent them from being reelected next term, and for that specific term, Schine likely can mitigate the damage. Also, if such a council somehow manages to completely screw up the game, people can choose to not update their game, because unlike real politics, time doesn't have to move on in case of game versions.
    What will YOU do as a councilor to pay-forward and honor my vote for you?
    Being myself. If someone voted for me, I assume they did so, because they:
    • largely agreed with my views, and thus trust me to represent them as is
    • don't agree with my views, but have sufficient believe in me knowing what I am doing, and thus trust me to not go against their views without sufficient reason
    So long as either of those 2 assumptions is true for a voter, me being and staying myself should suffice.
    Edit: Bonus question: Why do you think I voted for you?
    Because at least one of the assumptions in the previous question is true for you? If not, how am I supposed to know that?

Reactions: kiraen and Aynslei