Ask Mega

Is this trend(of council-applicants making Q&A threads) good or bad?

• good

Votes: 16 51.6%
    • bad

Votes: 4 12.9%
    • neither

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Seeing as the trend grows bigger, why not join it?

In this thread, I shall answer questions I am asked as fast as I can, provided I know the answer, and (depending on the question) no legal issues prevent me from answering.
    These 2 exceptions shouldn't occur often though.

So then, ask away!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Master_Artificer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Why did you apply?

What can you provide to the council?

What do you want out of the council?

What is the number 1 issue that you think needs changing/fixing or implementing that, if elected, you would put forward for discussion?

#boredAtWork so Mega gets my attention... :p

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Why did you apply?
    Because I think, that pluralism(many opinions and views available in an election) is a good(if not the best) way of ensuring people's opinions won't be ignored. I also didn't see my skills unfit for the council.

What can you provide to the council?
    My knowledge of StarMade's internal processes, and my knowledge of java, so I can judge the performance impact of a suggestion and the time/work required to implement it pretty accurately.

What do you want out of the council?
    Apart from experience and memories, nothing.

What is the number 1 issue that you think needs changing/fixing or implementing that, if elected, you would put forward for discussion?
    There are many things that require tweaking, so many, that I would need some time to compile and sort a list of all things, that require tweaking. However, I can easily sort a list you provide me. I also only press for my own priorities if there is a choice between two, otherwise, I will ignore my own priorities and contribute to the discussion at hand as good as I can.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I am going to shamelessly ask everyone the exact same question then :p Its like school. The result doesnt matter much, its the reasoning behind it that sheds some light on the applican'ts way of thinking.

BTW, regarding the poll. This trend is as good as the questions being asked, no more no less. Right now it doesn't seem to pose a problem.

Please order the following items in terms of "should be tackled before the others".
    (NOTE: This list does NOT exclusively represent stuff I want to see in the game ASAP. I just like to know a candidate's priorities, because any realist knows you can't tackle alot at once, and some points require other points to be finished first in order to be useful to their full potential)

- Planetary resource acquisition and factional economy
    - Further large object optimization, improvement of effective logic update distance
    - Integration of RP/interior/crew into meaningful game mechanics
    - Additional astronaut mode content, including equipment
    - Graphical weapons update: better scaling of visual FX, explosions, smoke, particles, "battle flair"
    - Mechanical weapons and systems update: Improvement and/or niche-finding for underused weapon/system combinations
    - Single player content for both servers and actual localhost (mobs, NPCs, missions, trade)
    - Fleet control (of varying depth; at least some basic commands like follow, protect and similar)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    1 Planetary resource acquisition and factional economy (this usually comes hand in hand with other items on this list, so I assign it to the same priority)
    2 Further large object optimization, improvement of effective logic update distance (while optimization is always good, as long as the game is optimized enough to be played, mechanics and content are worth more than performance)
    1.5 Integration of RP/interior/crew into meaningful game mechanics (parts of this can come hand in hand with other items on this list, and as such, potential should be analyzed while tackling other mechanics, but it shouldn't be addressed directly before other mechanics are settled)
    1 Additional astronaut mode content, including equipment (usually goes hand in hand with the above)
    3 Graphical weapons update: better scaling of visual FX, explosions, smoke, particles, "battle flair" (graphics are not related to the game's mechanics and engine, and as such, look should only be improved when the rest is solid)
    1 Mechanical weapons and systems update: Improvement and/or niche-finding for underused weapon/system combinations (a variety of actually useful weapons is always good, an underused weapon always needs care, unless it is redundant as another weapon combination can emulate it)
    1 Single player content for both servers and actual localhost (mobs, NPCs, missions, trade) (usually also goes hand in hand with other points assigned to 1)
    1 Fleet control (of varying depth; at least some basic commands like follow, protect and similar) (usually comes hand in hand with singleplayer content, as on multiplayer players form their own fleets and thus such controls aren't as necessary there)
    It may seem as if I didn't answer the question, because many items have the exact same priority, but many items on the list were too vague to determine the effort, that would have to be put into it to implement it, and as they all interconnected in some way, I gave them the same priority. When the effort required to implement them is determinable, and their effect on the rest of the game is also determinable, I usually prioritize by an effect²:effort ratio: the higher the effect in comparison to the work, that has to go into it, the higher it is on my priority list, however, effect is more important in the end(hence the effect²).

Reactions: NeonSturm

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like your more mathematical approach. Also, I forgot you are a java coder, which automatically gives you alot more insight on the technical side of things. Have plenty of thalanor points!

PS: You don't like beer? -1 thalanor point.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    if you would decide what the bobby ai is capable of tell me, what could it do. ;)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    if you would decide what the bobby ai is capable of tell me, what could it do. ;)
    If I could decide and nothing would have to be done to implement it? Everything a computer can do :P
    Does that answer your question, or do I need to try again?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is the balance of starmades content and game mechanics a very important subject to you?
    Will you try to prioritize your council work on analyses/suggestions/solutions regarding these?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Prioritize over purely cosmetic and/or niche type gameplay suggestions that wouldnt overally improve the games balance and issues.
    That completely depends on the effect²:work ratio. Ofc a cosmetic change has a much lower effect, than a balance adjustment, but the work usually is lower too.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That completely depends on the effect²:work ratio. Ofc a cosmetic change has a much lower effect, than a balance adjustment, but the work usually is lower too.
    I quiet like that you approach this on a logical basis.
    Thanks for answering my questions :)

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What do you think is the ideal balance of effectivity and look of a ship?
    Is the reason for you not liking beer it's taste or are you refusing to consume alcohol in general?
    Do you think the council needs members with all different kinds of specializations?
    Do you think different time zones might be a problem for the council?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    What do you think is the ideal balance of effectivity and look of a ship?
    In my opinion, there is no such thing as a global ideal balance between effectiveness and look, both are largely independent of one another. Yes, minmaxed ships usually don't look good, and the best looking ship does allocate space to nonfunctional things, HOWEVER both of those are extremes, and in general look and effectiveness aren't mutually exclusive.
    Is the reason for you not liking beer it's taste or are you refusing to consume alcohol in general?
    The taste.
    However, I can (strangely enough) taste ethanol(alcohol), and dislike it's taste, but as beer doesn't contain much ethanol, that isn't why I dislike the taste of beer.
    Do you think the council needs members with all different kinds of specializations?
    As long as each member is fit for the council regarding his general skills, and the specialized skill aids the council, I think the council should have some specialized members. However, it should be a healthy mix of specialized and broadly-skilled members, to fill the skill-"gaps", the specialized members cannot fill.
    Do you think different time zones might be a problem for the council?
    They may be, but won't, as long as there is a timespan in which all council members are available.
    If that happens, council-meetings will be extremely dragged out, and the council may end up being split into several fractions, that constantly disagree with each other and cannot find a compromise due to reduced possibility for communication.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    If I could decide and nothing would have to be done to implement it? Everything a computer can do :p
    Does that answer your question, or do I need to try again?
    please try again. ofc everything has to be implemented :) like what options would it have compared to now.

Reaction score
    What were some questions that should have been asked on the application but were not?

When the zombie-apocalypse hits, which fellow council candidate will you throw-under-the-bus first?

When did you stop physically abusing your your wife and children?