Read by Council Armor Point Restructuring

Reaction score
    Hi, guys I've noticed that the idea of Armor points in starmade needs some tweaking.
    WHATS THE PROBLEM?
    *Armor Blocks add armor point to the entire ship without drawing any power
    *Unlike Shields Armor is the only defensive system to be 100% power relevant
    *It doesn't make sense for an armor block to apply an effect on the entire ship there just armor
    *Once armor points are lost they are non recoverable in real time

SOLUTION
    *Add a hull integrity system to the ship it would draw power like shields and could actively regenerate
    like shields it could decrease it's regeneration under-fire

WHAT ABOUT ARMOR BLOCKS???
    *Armor blocks would still have a role to play in protecting the ship once all of it's defenses go down
    *There HP and damage resistance should be enhanced to compensate for the regenerative integrity field.

Please Post about this if you have any ideas!!!

Thank you,

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This suggestion doesn't really make sense to me.

If you want more shields, add more shield blocks.

The Armor rating for the ship represents a certain kind of structural integrity of the load-bearing, force-resisting superstructure. As blocks that add to the Armor rating are destroyed, that represents lost superstructure that makes the whole ship slightly less sturdy.

I can see "Armor" rating needing to be renamed to "Integrity" to make it less confusing, but I don't think it should be Shield 2.

Note: Due to the data structure, a block cannot have more than 255 HP, so the most advanced armor cannot be buffed much more.

Reactions: MDJinRoh

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    When they were still drawing up plans for the AHP system, people feared it would be a 2nd shield. Luckily, we did not get a second shield. What you suggest is a second shield.

I'll pass on this.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Armor is also extremely heavy, therefore you need more thrust and more power for that thrust if you want armored fast ships or you will be a slow tank. I think this is a great balance to armor and you don't specifically need power to protect your ship. I have been very vocal about my objection to any armor system being a second shield and I am quite pleased with the mechanic we have now. It may need some tweaks moving forward as fights can be tedious in small scale but fleets does help with that as well.