Planned Arena Combat

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I have logged 800+ hours and tested many servers for the 'multiplayer experience' and I hear a common theme from the other players. After comp stomping pirates for awhile we want to test our mettle against a human foe, one on one or in fleet action. ---And we want a fair fight.---

I propose an Arena Computer with boundary modules. The computer needs to be able to limit all contestant's ships into weight classes like boxing. Other metrics may need to be compared too like cost. Match styles like last Man Standing, Sumo, CTF, Rugby, Golf could be selected along with prizes, entry fees etc.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    What?....no one thought this was Brilliant?
    (harumph)

Having won a 50K-block tournament event hosted by NobleWatchmen I can say this idea has legs. *btw: I am in no way intending for this to replace normal PvP play just make tournaments easier to run.

So we had a tournament and it took two admin to wrangle the players and set the sector etc. It is great that the server can host events but it would even better if just anyone could make a quick duel happen, or set up a bounty board.

So what do you think? .....................Anyone....? ...... ........Bhuler?.............;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So, there are mechanics for setting up race tracks. I was surprised when that update came out because it was something that I personally hadn't heard people talking about. It is also something that I haven't utilized myself.

I'm not much for PvP, but this is something that I think would be interesting to see. Particularly if you could have an AI opponent, or if other players could place bets on the PvP outcome.

I wouldn't say this is a brilliant idea, but it is one worth consideration. There are a lot of other things I'd like to see first.

Reaction score
    you can technically make this happen with mechanics in-game right now as a station. you can use rail weight speed to measure weight-class. Have shields to protect the structure, and some interior to navigate. With clever enough people, you could have the room be modular/on rails to enable easy setup variations. With a control room and cameras, it's easy for spectators and judges to see the outcome.
    If that.s all done, BP it and share, and BOOM, there's a standard/base for others to expand on.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    schema mentioned in a stream that there may be a way for non-hardcore PVP to exist in the future (ie: being able to take part in "duels" and not lose your stuff)

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    you can technically make this happen with mechanics in-game right now as a station. you can use rail weight speed to measure weight-class. Have shields to protect the structure, and some interior to navigate. With clever enough people, you could have the room be modular/on rails to enable easy setup variations. With a control room and cameras, it's easy for spectators and judges to see the outcome.
    If that.s all done, BP it and share, and BOOM, there's a standard/base for others to expand on.
    I love this idea (will surely run with it) ! I have actually played in an arena like this but for astronauts. Each death gave a small credit-drop and turned SM into a nifty shooter-arena.

The trick is to be able to define a large area for ships to fight in like 1-8 sectors perhaps 27 for some elbow room. Keep the rubber 'ropes' effect for when you cross the boundary. (Identical to the way a shipyard contains the 'test' area.)

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Love this idea. The addition of instanced Arena PVP and other events in StarMade would be awesome.

Picturing a 'Simulation Computer' which could be placed on a ship or station that would give you a menu of PVE events as well as active PVP events or queues for events server-wide (maybe even virtual races?). One could load a 'hologram' of a ship blueprint into these virtual simulations and get in on the action with little risk. There is a great deal of potential here. :)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    This is technically already a game mode. It does not have as many qualifications as you are asking for. Battle more will likely get more attention. It is possible that it will be integrated with normal server operations as a config option. Additionally we have discussed a hailing and dueling system, where one can agree to terms before going head to head with another player. More information on this will be available in time.