Any PVP guides out there?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Does anyone know a PVP guide or have one?

If you do, please post the link here. Can't find a good one anywhere.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not a PvPer, but my understanding of the current meta is:
    1. Build the most giant ship possible
    2. Use big alpha to kill enemy shields
    3. Fire giant DPS guns
    4. ...
    5. Profit! :p
    I'm probably wrong, though. Hopefully someone with real experience can help you out.

Reaction score
    I'm not a PvPer, but my understanding of the current meta is:
    1. Build the most giant ship possible
    2. slap on some [hundred] turrets
    3. Use big alpha to kill enemy shields
    4. [*]Fire giant DPS guns
    5. ???
    6. Profit!
    I'm probably wrong, though. Hopefully someone with real experience can help you out.
    FIFY

ship mass caps for PvP are what is needed, if the server doesn't have it...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Shoot the other guy a whole bunch without letting him shoot you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    The best advice I can give you is as follows:
    Play on a PvP server for a while, and get used to what people build there (due to server limits as well as who plays this can vary widely).
    Once you have an idea of your competition (hopefully you haven't made enemy's yet) Design your first ship to use in combat against them. When designing, keep in mind the weakness and strengths of your targets. Design your ship to counter their strengths and capatalize on where they are week.

Sometimes the only way to figure out what you should be building on a server is to build something that seems good to you, and find someone willing to fight you so you can test the design. If you win congratz. If not, try to understand what they did diff then you and how it helped them win.

The only other method is if you already have a very good grasp of weapons, armor, shields, ect.. and are good at theory crafting. In which case you can sometimes just design something crazy, and it will work. Otherwise IMO, you have to build to counter what is being used on your server, and stay within whatever limits the server may have.

OH also if the server has no limits... then yea bigger is normally better assuming the quality of the builders isn't too far apart.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Recon is definitely your best friend on any pvp server. Knowing what you'll be up against before it's in your veiwscreen or up your tailpipe will save you a lot of grief.

This is why many factions and players like to keep their build projects secret until it's time to bust out that mega powerful flagship in a major battle. If you're any good at building stealth ships, this it the best way to use them.

Your next best friend is, of course, your actual best friend:). Allies are a must if you're interested in big battles, and even small skirmishes go better when you have a wingman.

Last bit of advice, never take any ship into battle that you can't afford to lose. This is from personal experience, and I've built my play style around it, which is why I've gotten a lot of practice using fighters.

Above all, pvp is supposed to be for fun. So no hard feelings, no mater how things play out.

Have fun ;).

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    1) Build a miner
    2) Mine shit
    3) Repeat step 2 as often as possible
    4) Sell the stuff you mined at first to get what you need. Buy cannon modules for later
    5) Make factories and factory enhancers
    6) Explore your system, look at all the shops/stations. Make note of any advanced shops, if you cant find one, go to spawn, if spawn doesn't have one, keep looking for advanced shops
    7) Once you find an advanced shop, buy a torch, a grappling hook, and a build inhibitor. If you have the money, buy two more torches, another grappling hook, and a sniper.
    8) Go to factions with 2-3 people's HB's, look for undocked ships to steal. If they have big homebase turrets, avoind factioned ships.
    9) Make a stealth ship (cloaking and jamming) and provoke a pirate station. Observer what re-enforcements come.
    10) Make a ship to kill the re-enforcements.
    11) Nom lüt from re-enforcements.
    12) Buy more cannon modules, once you have 50,000 cannon modules and 1,000,000,000 credits, go to a shop and sell it all the cannon comps you have. When it runs out of money, buy whatever you want, but then sell more cannon comps. Once the shop has 50,000 cannon mods in stock, wait and see if the price changes. If it does, buy them all back, if it doesn't, what a waste of 50,000 cannon mods :^)
    13) Make a big ass ship
    14) Kill everyone

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Basically before most fight it is a lot of R&D of scouting and hunting for things. As for fighting players, don't fly something on a PVP server you can't afford to lose and exploit anyone flying something they can't afford to lose. :)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    when the first 3 didn't help
    Well really, what did you expect to such a broad question?

Any meaningful answer is going to be way too long and difficult to follow for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about already, and if you know enough to follow along, then you know enough to build a ship correctly.

Everything else so far has basically been "How to get money to build a ship", "How to go look at other people's ships", "How to steal other people's ships", there's nothing actually here so far about how to PvP, because its just a huge topic.

You would get a far better answer if you would ask more specific questions that can be addressed in a sensible amount of space. Like "How do I get the most out of my cannon turrets?" or "What kind of turret is best for general purpose player combat?" instead of "How do I play the game?" Because that answer still boils down to "Build a ship with more shields/armor than the other guy that has better guns".

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    An essay describing the common techniques used by PVPers, which weapons are better at doing this and that, etc.
    Well, I believe the short answer here then would be "No, I don't think anyone has made that yet."

I wouldn't really expect anyone to even try to make something that huge and detailed right now either, since we're still in alpha and literally anything we could put in it could change at any moment. It wouldn't really be worth the effort to compile at the moment, IMO, not when the information could become outdated before you even finished compiling it.

I mean, just the question "How do PvP'ers fight?" is too broad for anything short of a dissertation to do the topic any justice as there are many different types of PvP'er and many different tactics. Are you wanting to know about fighting honorable PvP'ers or griefers? Very different tactics and playstyles there. Small fighters, destroyers, capital ship combat? Turret hell, drone carriers, one on one or fleet combat? What is your goal, to simply "win" by getting the other guy to overheat? Win by making them retreat? Win by causing massive damage that would force them to basically scrap the entire ship afterwards? Are you going up against mostly turtles or glass cannons?

And then the answers to every one of those questions changes based on how big you can build and how many resources you have, whether or not you have faction members that can help you fight or if you're going it solo...

And thats without even getting into all of the points and counter points for each weapon array type...

It is a seriously huge question.

Reaction score
    Sorry bud, noone will tell you weapon setups. It would give away secrets to warring factions. What I can tell you is turrets (except for PD) are utterly useless power leeches. We have proven this time and time again as we stared down enemies. So long as you turn turrets off on navigation and target the ship, you will win with ship based weaponry 9/10 times.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442499611,1442499524][/DOUBLEPOST]Ridik_ulass did make a essay regarding 3-dinensional warfare on the old site. Ill see if I can find the link
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442499872][/DOUBLEPOST]http://starmadedock.net/threads/gam...3-dimensional-warfare-pt-2.11248/#post-165299

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sorry bud, noone will tell you weapon setups. It would give away secrets to warring factions. What I can tell you is turrets (except for PD) are utterly useless power leeches. We have proven this time and time again as we stared down enemies. So long as you turn turrets off on navigation and target the ship, you will win with ship based weaponry 9/10 times.
    This actually helped.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Depends on how you build your turrets and the server settings. I've always built my turrets to account for 25% to 100% of the power needs they have if it is reasonable to do so on the turrets. Even PD turrets have small power reactors and shield rechargers on them. :)

Reaction score
    Still cannot out do max damage from a ship. Unless youre keptick and make a turret the size of your ship >.>
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442501899,1442501698][/DOUBLEPOST]Where a turret will win is its engagement distance. So long as the sector is loaded a turret can reach out and touch things at 52km out. While players have to be within 20km. However as long as you have PD and or focus fire on the missiles the likely hood of them hitting you while running jammer is nil

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Yrjosmiel, do you have a specific play style in mind? Depending on that we may be able to give you better tips. Do you want to just go toe to toe and slug it out face to face? or would you prefer surprise tactics? What about something less conventional such as drone carriers? 1v1 or group v group? If group v group what about a "debuff ship" designed to drain massive amounts of shield and power? Do you want to fight with fighters? or capital ships? titans? Do you plan to just fight the occasional player, or do you intend to lay siege to bases as well? Are you planning on "conquering" other factions or just fighting those that attack you first?

Every one of those questions is part of an overall play style and will determine how/when/scale of your fighting. As well as determine the best tactics and give an idea to others about what weapon setups you might want to try. The reason no PvP guide exists like others have said is the massive amount of info all that covers. And that is before we get into weapon specs, shields, effects, power, ect... Not only that, but for a PvP guide it would have to take all these factors, and mix them together in different combinations. It makes it exponentialy harder and more in depth to do.

BUT, if you can tell us how you would like your fights to go, and what tactics your partial too. That eliminates a lot of that extra work, and in some cases leaves you with only a few well known and good options to go with. IF you can figure out the "what" other people can help with the "how".

As an example, my main focus lately has been developing a drone ship that uses no ship mounted weapons. It will have turrets to get rid of pirates and Anti Missile turrets but most all damage will come from unconventional means. I have gone so far as to develop a working torpedo that is very effective. All the trial and error I do is to further my play style of commanding a "fleet" of AI (Think Protos Carriers).

Play Styles I am aware of are:
    1. Glass Cannon - You try to eliminate your targets shields in one hit with a very high alpha damage weapon. Then use smaller DPS based weapons to keep its shields down and do block damage.

2. Tank - Massive amount of defensive ability. Lots of shields, lots of advanced hull. Can put out pretty good DPS. This ship is designed to outlast the opponent.

3. All rounder - not specialized in any particular way. Although it does not excel in any one area its very adaptable and with a capable pilot can rise to many varying situations.

5. Carrier - Drones will provide most of the DPS of this ship. It is one of the most expensive options that I am aware of as you lose your drones every fight. Even if you win and have drones floating around, picking them up takes so long its almost not worth it. Drones of equal mass or greater then the ship they are attacking will almost always win. VERY week when drones have been expended, weather during or after battle.

6. Modular Ships - Still a concept floating around, that I've not seen anyone implement yet. Basically you have a "Core" ship, and much of its power regen/turrets and other weapon systems come from other large docked ship parts. It was noted that doing this would allow a ship to operate longer without being destroyed and would allow more armor between the core ship and the outsides of the docked sub ships. Other then a few theory's there isn't really any data on this.

7. Stealth - From what I know of stealth combat, it mainly involves staying hidden, and using high alpha attacks much like a glass cannon. HOWEVER you will only be able to really fight smaller ships then yourself. And there are ways for a player (if they realize your near by) to decloak you. Tactics include hit and run as well as ambush. They can be great for scouting and gaining info on your enemies though.

8. Some strange combination of any of the previous. Seriously, these are just examples. You could invent something totally new, which then would need a smart person to figure out a counter.

If you figure out your play style I am sure all of us would be willing to give you some pointers in that general area.

TL;DR: Pick a style of combat you are aiming for, and we can help more from there. put the "what" before the "how".