Any news on the weapons update?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I was under the impression that "The first prototype is about 1-2 weeks away" as was proclaimed on march 15th...

Yet, here we are nearly a month after that initial assessment. I suppose i am seeing if anyone may have heard something on a livestream or on discord as to when it might be expected now.

Reaction score
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/420769758187749396/431829161359704066/beam.gif

schema - 26.03.2018
    the combinations as you see them now will change
    we want each combi to be a unique and viable variation
    of the weapon
    Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    ok
    Coyote27 - 26.03.2018
    Yeah, you're going to have a tough time hitting clay pigeons with SM's shotguns
    Tunk - 26.03.2018
    shotgun weapons need true random
    Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    cool
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    Will you be taking community feedback as to what is or is not 'viable' during the dev cycle?(bearbeitet)
    No offense, but a lot of things presumed 'viable' by you guys in the past have not panned out practically :\
    schema - 26.03.2018
    we will definitely take feedback, but a lot is also from experience on looking what people are going for
    there are some things that are plain useless
    atm
    Captain Skwidz - 26.03.2018
    moar
    s
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    yey, boom eggs
    schema - 26.03.2018
    i think something viable is the fire frequency for example
    difference of a machine gun to a heavy gun
    that will definitely still be there in a combination
    Coyote27 - 26.03.2018
    -nod-
    Yeah, that's a choice that matters yet both have reasons to choose
    Tunk - 26.03.2018
    everything migrated to firing rate due to block removal properties, other than anti-shield weapons because its monolithic.
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    yeah
    schema - 26.03.2018
    i think beams will be the weapon of choice against shields mostly
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    I'm pretty sure they will, but I might as well ask: shields will generally be more powerful relative to weapons than they are now, right?
    schema - 26.03.2018
    since they are so easy to hit with now
    beam is more "damage over time" and cannons will be more bursty
    SchnellBier - 26.03.2018
    so this won´t change

Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    Beams will be extremely powerful against small targets then. Perhaps too powerful.
    schema - 26.03.2018
    the latch on will break if you can get out of sight
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    I don't mind not having massive regen on shields any more, so that builds that use more power for defense/movement instead of guns aren't excluded, but if there will be no regen the capacity relative to usual weapon damage seems like it will have to be a lot higher
    Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    If you get anywhere in front of a big ship you're dead almost instantly. It sounds like the beams will make that worse.
    That's the problem. You have to get clear out of sight to avoid being hit. You can't maneuver to avoid fire.
    schema - 26.03.2018
    there are also 2 versions of latch-on
    Tunk - 26.03.2018
    so this Latching behavior, does it break on block break or is it a set coord on the target while firing?
    schema - 26.03.2018
    one will adapt (which will be used for tractir beam)
    it will just latch onto the next block if the sight to the current block breaks
    the other version which is probably the damage beam
    will break if you lose sight to the block you latched on
    this means you can break the beam
    Tunk - 26.03.2018
    and how does the latching behave with multiple outputs?
    schema - 26.03.2018
    if you turn
    small ships can
    big ships cannot turn fast enough
    each beam would latch individually
    Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    That's going to be weird...
    Really weird
    I don't like that part.
    Tunk - 26.03.2018
    ouch, so a beam waffle is going to chunk a ship easier :/
    schema - 26.03.2018
    beam will likely increase damage over latch time
    so if you can break it it wont do that much damage
    giving small manuverable ships an advantage if they realize it fast enough
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    If you manually guide the beams, they can still cut in a line, right? Or are they locked onto a block for a whole firing cycle?
    Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    That's so weird...
    schema - 26.03.2018
    you will lock on to the block you hit
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    Also, I feel like giant spinning docked entities will become meta if this mechanic works the way I imagine

schema - 26.03.2018
    and then to the next one if you kill it
    Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    Oh yeah, Ith has a point.
    SchnellBier - 26.03.2018
    it´s hard to judge that without using it...
    Tunk - 26.03.2018
    yeah counter rotating entities will drop a beam lock in seconds
    Valiant70 - 26.03.2018
    Everyone will start putting spinning shields on everything.
    Ithirahad - 26.03.2018
    Kind of like FURB's spectra armour, but even nastier
    schema - 26.03.2018
    yeah im still working out the details
    SchnellBier - 26.03.2018
    it might be strange for turrets
    schema - 26.03.2018
    i could just go with adaptable latch
    which would just latch on to the next block it grabs if the line breaks
    [doublepost=1523296137,1523295861][/doublepost]this ridiculous smileys lol

Reaction score
    hmmm... cool demos. I hopes someone told schema that rotating shields won't matter since your lock would be on the main entity and not on the docka. Now there are other turning exploits that I expect to get retarded, but that one should be fine.

Also, Valent, you need to stop complaining so much about small ships. It's okay if a ship 25x your size can one-shot you. If you send 25 of them at the bigger ship, it's still dead long before it can retarget and fire on 25 separate targets. If you do too much to encourage one size ship over another, you take away any incentive to do both. That discourages fleet diversity which is a primary goal of the rebuild. If you are upset that small ships are traditionally too weak, it's because you are not building/utilizing them right. I'd suggest you hunt down Comr4de if you want some pointers. He frequently used swarms of 2-10k drones to take out much larger enemies.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Thats true, yeah. Numbers is a great force multiplier, especially if the opponent is ill suited to deal with more than one or two targets.

It looks like this update will at least make cannons and beams more useful in single output groups.. Kinda makes waffles redundant, which is something ive been looking forward to for a long, long time. Just designing huge waffle arrays is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Reaction score
    Big questions though in my mind is if new damage patterns will further harm the effectiveness of cannons and missiles vs beams and if they will completely nullify the new armor update since multi-million damage cannons/beams are about to become so commonplace.

Reaction score
    Big questions though in my mind is if new damage patterns will further harm the effectiveness of cannons and missiles vs beams and if they will completely nullify the new armor update since multi-million damage cannons/beams are about to become so commonplace.
    I think if sector ranges and weapon ranges stay as they are, then beams will stay as the dominant weapon choice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That should also bring into question the damage types vs defense types we're supposed to be getting. They should offer a degree of balance between the weapon types and defensive strategies. Maybe we can get trajectory prediction for player pilots on cannons so we can fire them somewhat accurately at range too.

Reaction score
    Cannons are supposed to be able to handle much higher muzzle velocities now which should offset some of that concern, but I was more specifically referencing penetrating damage vs explosive damage. An explosion is more easily mitigated by armor spacing; whereas, beams can now overcome the "overpen" problem by creating a reasonably wide hole, but still have narrow enough of a damage profile to cut really deep.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh, you mean from what we can see in the gifs? I would suspect that they only display the default damage profile or profile for one particular type, the weapons slave combos would provide the variations on those.

Im wondering now what theyre going to do with the effects systems, like ion and explosive. I suspect theyd be recycled back into this

Hold on one of those gifs is using a laser pistol. Now im confused. Do we have a demo of the cannon at all?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    Yup, new alpha weapons not only overwhelm the new armor system but do so by such a massive margin that armor is in fact worse than it was before.