another hyperspace idea

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I suggested this:
    - ships take damage every meter, according to the speed of the ship throughout that meter
    - denizens of the hyperspace fade into view when you're really close, but otherwise they are visible as a splash of color in the shape of your ship (basicly every block colored that color), color dependent of your speed
    - hyperspace is something like a wormhole, but actually a different dimension which is scaled down from the normal dimension (overworld, for the lack of a better term known by me), but the jump drive (or something similar) handles getting into and out of the hyperspace (the jump drive would chech if you have any hyperspace accelerators, and if not, you will get out of hyperspace as soon as you're completly stopped
    - hyperspace accelerators are the required in a rather big ratio to mass, in order to actually travel faster than jumping from point to point, but once the ratio is exceded, the travel would be a lot faster
    - the spiders are from hyperspace, but they dock onto the gravity of the ship when they attack it, so you actually get them with you on the overworld, but when you get into and out of the overworld, every entity which haves no core added to it (so players and asteroids, and other things which doesen't have a ship core are un-linked from the ship, unless there is a player in a core/computer/build_block). So no more of a interplanetary bus unless you spend money on things which allow the players to get into them.
    Alright. So im gonna tackle stuff one at a time.

Damage:
    What is the point of damaging a vessel as it travels through hyperspace based on the distance it is traveling and its speed. There is already a speed limit for acceleration and there is no need for a second speed limit that has more dire results than ceasing to accelerate.

Accelerators:
    Thrusters specifically designed for hyperspace are a good idea, but I think they should function more similarly to 'normal space' thrusters for two reasons.
    1. Easier to grasp quickly for new players
    2. Simpler to implement into the game

Spiders:
    The spiders sound more like trans-dimensional hitchhikers than an actual threat, which is what the 'Hyperspace Monsters' are supposed to be. Yes, they can damage your ship; but with strong enough shields they can sit there for all of eternity and not make a dent. (Like, just about every Titan out there?)

Wormhole Dimensionality Thingy:
    I apologize if I offend, but you may not be understanding what a wormhole is. Imagine space as a piece of paper. Now fold it in half. Stick a pencil through both layers of paper. Boom, that's a wormhole. (overly simplified though >.>) Dimensions of space are different. Take a new piece of paper. Now take another piece of paper and put it perpendicular to the unfolded piece of paper. You now have two dimensions. (Up/Down and Left/Right) On a side note, i do like how the wormholes in Starmade look like black holes.... >.>

It's simpler in this regard to just consider Hyperspace a fifth dimension. Of course, this is all unimportant implementation wise, since what exactly hyperspace is can be left ambiguous in-game.

Creatures Fading:
    Wonderful idea! But they should still be detectable by radar so that it isn't one of those "Hey whats that blurry...OH GOD WHY!!!" moments.

Creatures Hitchhiking:
    This would depend on their size. If the spiders are inter-dimensional creatures, then sure they can latch on. But if we go with the giant space worm idea (just my own thought, no idea what Hyperspace Monsters would actually look like) then its more likely they would take a chomp out of a ship than latch on. (Depending on their size though....we could have space worms that can latch onto a ship...little cute baby ones...then have the big mommas. O_O put. the. baby. down.)

Alright so to conclude, I do like some of your suggestions but it really seems like you are over complicating things.

(I apologize if I seem overly apologetic. Still new to the whole posting to forums thing so i want to be clear its not my intent to offend anyone >.>)

Reaction score
    Well, I agree that maybe there shall not be an estra damage thing, but about the wormhole... do you understand how the jump works? It tries to create a wormhole between point A and point B. But due to the nature of the space itself, it's pretty difficult to predict where the wormhole would lead to, and the more time you spend in the wromhole, the more difficult it is to keep your ship intact. The "jump" basicly is linking the overworld with the hyperspace, where you keep moving for a bit due to the inertia (that 1 m), than you link the hyperspace with the overworld and you get back. Why that? Because if you try to fold the space, you can only fold it one way, due to the fact that the other way around would mean you'd have to get to a "hyperspace" full of radiation (like the sun damages you when you get too close). In that anti-hyperspace, the sun looks like a normal planet and the rest of the world looks like the hyperspace for the overworld. But let's not get too into details about the space-time vibration frequency. Let's just say that the radiation in the hyperspace is not as powerful as the anti0hyperspace's. And that's why I proposed the damage / distance / time... because when you create a wormhole, you try to shift your frequency so that you can move to that space-time vibrational layer, from where you will eventually get back to where you want to arrive. Now, because you're basicly in between two layers of matter, there is like a void which is... different. The in-between-layers-of-matter is streched by the layers of matter, so what you get is a space which is basicly streched out to fit the layers. THAT is the hyperspace. The place in between matter and anti-matter. And the opposite of the hyperspace is, let's say, where higher frequencies "live", so the radiation from them is a lot stronger. That's why you can't "fold" the space that way and actually survive the travel. And this is pretty similar with the real world. If your gravitational frequency is higher, you start to see the sun as a normal planet, but the planets you see now will be more "dead"... either the Earth would look like Jupiter and Jupiter like Mars or the Earth would look like Mars and in both cases we don't know what Mars would look like. In your example, if you'd want to stretch the matter that way, you'd have to rip off the space-time continuum, and we have no idea what the effect of that would be; also, it would require infinite energy to do that; that is just an extremly simplified example, so everyone can understand the concept behind it. The practical stuff is more difficult to achieve.

Now, that data is based of data I've read recently about the supposed warp drive Nasa is working on plus some science-fiction stuff which also explained what Nasa is working on right now. "That" warp drive from NASA, in Starmade universe, is known as "Overdrive"... of course, scalled down for practical reasons...

About the radar, I think it shouldn't work in Hyperspace. Also, the creature should be detectable in the Overworld, but with a verry weak signal, since we don't actually know what it's made of...

The hyperspace creatures should, however, be a few different kinds... and only the current spiders should be able to survive the jump between hyperspace and overworld (in any direction), and, also, I think there should also be creatures which would spawn on planets (maybe a different type for each planet type) and they should also not survive the travel to hyperspace, but also we should have the present spiders visit random planets... and maybe fight back the creatures of that planets, which would attack anything they come in contact with... and that's why we would need turrets on planets, to make sure there is nocreature roaming around the planet... their HP should be ranging between 20 and 500, depending on their type, which would also affect their spawn rate so you'd have the same average HP/planet_side...

Also, about the apologies, you didn't started a flame, so there is no reason for apologies...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    - ships take damage every meter, according to the speed of the ship throughout that meter
    No. You want hyperspace to be usable, don't have ships take damage without limit or reason.
    Here is a good test for a system: If a skilled pilot can travel between galaxies without taking any damage, then you have done it right. I personally am a fan of hyperspace hazards that shoot you out into dangerous areas of realspace where you may be destroyed, but still have a chance to escape.

Well, I agree that maybe there shall not be an estra damage thing, but about the wormhole... do you understand how the jump works?<<Blah blah technobabble>> The practical stuff is more difficult to achieve.
    This isn't reality. It's a game. Mechanics should be chosen based on how easy they are to master and how immersion-breaking they aren't. Also apologies I didn't really read that giant block of text, but... "space-time vibrational layer?" What have you been reading? I have never heard that in regard to any theories of space.

Anyway,
    Creatures Hitchhiking:
    This would depend on their size. If the spiders are inter-dimensional creatures, then sure they can latch on. But if we go with the giant space worm idea (just my own thought, no idea what Hyperspace Monsters would actually look like) then its more likely they would take a chomp out of a ship than latch on. (Depending on their size though....we could have space worms that can latch onto a ship...little cute baby ones...then have the big mommas. O_O put. the. baby. down.)

Oh I like this. And I was also thinking that after a monster ate part of your ship, it would grow, and become more aggressive. I've mentioned it earlier.
    But also, we'll need to be able to knock creatures off our hulls. So I suppose creatures will need a "grapple strength" parameter added.

Reaction score
    No. You want hyperspace to be usable, don't have ships take damage without limit or reason.
    Here is a good test for a system: If a skilled pilot can travel between galaxies without taking any damage, then you have done it right. I personally am a fan of hyperspace hazards that shoot you out into dangerous areas of realspace where you may be destroyed, but still have a chance to escape.
    I agree.

This isn't reality. It's a game. Mechanics should be chosen based on how easy they are to master and how immersion-breaking they aren't. Also apologies I didn't really read that giant block of text, but... "space-time vibrational layer?" What have you been reading? I have never heard that in regard to any theories of space.
    "Vibration layer" is basicly the state at which the matter "Exists"... as you know, the higher the temperature of the matter, the higher the chances of something "unexpected" to happen to the matter at hand. that "vibration layer" is basicly how fast does the matter moves; also, the speed of the matter is related to gravity in some way, so the wormholes could possibly slow down matter and render it not as usable as it was (thus why I think there should be different weapons and thrusters for the hyperspace) or speed it up, thus making possible the travel between frequencies. Also, this is related to the multiverse theory... also, the game is trying to be somewhat realistic, as long as it doesen't goes against the mechanics of the game. This doesen't goes against the mechanics of the game, but just explains why and how the hyperspace would work in real life... and why the jump drive would have you kicked out of the hyperspace if you're out of hyperspace accelerators, you didn't have hyperspace accelerators to begin with or you right click the jump drive (with the mention that you don't have to recharge it while in hyperspace, since you waited for it to charge in the overworld; also you could make so you only have to be charged at 65% to go to hyperspace but wait there to charge the ship, with the power generators working at 30% their capacity).

Oh I like this. And I was also thinking that after a monster ate part of your ship, it would grow, and become more aggressive. I've mentioned it earlier.
    But also, we'll need to be able to knock creatures off our hulls. So I suppose creatures will need a "grapple strength" parameter added.
    And what other thing do you think the rails are useful for? You can decouple the defective parts, leaving them behind, in the hyperspace.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ok to begin with, the Warp drive functions by creating a pocket of normal space that travels through normal space. It has nothing to do with the vibrational frequency of matter. Also, matter and anti-matter occupy the same universe. There just so happens to be more normal matter than anti-matter in our universe (The reason is still unknown since they would have been equal at the big bang)

Real world physics aside (i could get into long discussions about physics >.> call it a hobby), this is supposed to be a form of FTL system for the game. It can't be overly complex for players to have to learn. Damaging a ship thats traveling through 'Hyperspace' is like punishing someone for driving down a freeway. Not to mention there is already some danger inherent in the fact that there are monsters of varying sizes. Not to mention the crystals mentioned earlier. Dont want to crash into them.

I do think that hyperspace and the jump system should be separate forms of FTL. I will expand on this later since i have to head to school, but my main reasoning is that the jump drive would be a safer, if slower, form of transportation that is a bit easier to craft. It also gives players a choice of how they want to design their ships.

Reaction score
    Ok to begin with, the Warp drive functions by creating a pocket of normal space that travels through normal space. It has nothing to do with the vibrational frequency of matter. Also, matter and anti-matter occupy the same universe. There just so happens to be more normal matter than anti-matter in our universe (The reason is still unknown since they would have been equal at the big bang)
    Actually, there isn't more matter than anti-matter, there is just more matter than anti-matter HERE. If you add the multiverse theory to the equation, you'll find out that the same way there is a universe where the matter thrives, there is a universe where the anti-matter thrives... as well as a way to get the two linked... which would be the jumping from starmade... more or less...

Real world physics aside (i could get into long discussions about physics >.> call it a hobby), this is supposed to be a form of FTL system for the game. It can't be overly complex for players to have to learn. Damaging a ship thats traveling through 'Hyperspace' is like punishing someone for driving down a freeway. Not to mention there is already some danger inherent in the fact that there are monsters of varying sizes. Not to mention the crystals mentioned earlier. Dont want to crash into them.
    Alright, than let's get the damage from simply moving there removed. And the crystals, if you think about it, could also be used for something... maybe for weapons, thus making the creatures more eager to attack you if instead of a normal cannon you have a cannon made with that crystals. That's also not a complex thing to learn, since the crystals are the creatures' food...

I do think that hyperspace and the jump system should be separate forms of FTL. I will expand on this later since i have to head to school, but my main reasoning is that the jump drive would be a safer, if slower, form of transportation that is a bit easier to craft. It also gives players a choice of how they want to design their ships.
    (I'm looking forward to your future post.) Safer? Yes. Slower? Yes. Safer because you're in the hyperspace for only one meter (a few seconds), after which you get back. Slower because you get out of hyperspace so to jump again you have to recharge the Jump Drive. ALSO, I just tought about this: What if the spiders have a chance of spawning when you jump? Maybe 1% chance to spawn when you jump out (into hyperspace) and 5% when you jump in (into overworld)? That would give somewhat of a reason to have that creatures commonly spawn into the game = more fun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    And what other thing do you think the rails are useful for? You can decouple the defective parts, leaving them behind, in the hyperspace.
    So basically I have to design my ship to be covered with undockable plates? No thank you. I was thinking that the grapple strength would determine what amount of "push" damage needs to be used to force someone out from gravity/allignment of a ship.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Actually, there isn't more matter than anti-matter, there is just more matter than anti-matter HERE. If you add the multiverse theory to the equation, you'll find out that the same way there is a universe where the matter thrives, there is a universe where the anti-matter thrives... as well as a way to get the two linked... which would be the jumping from starmade... more or less...

Alright, than let's get the damage from simply moving there removed. And the crystals, if you think about it, could also be used for something... maybe for weapons, thus making the creatures more eager to attack you if instead of a normal cannon you have a cannon made with that crystals. That's also not a complex thing to learn, since the crystals are the creatures' food...

(I'm looking forward to your future post.) Safer? Yes. Slower? Yes. Safer because you're in the hyperspace for only one meter (a few seconds), after which you get back. Slower because you get out of hyperspace so to jump again you have to recharge the Jump Drive. ALSO, I just tought about this: What if the spiders have a chance of spawning when you jump? Maybe 1% chance to spawn when you jump out (into hyperspace) and 5% when you jump in (into overworld)? That would give somewhat of a reason to have that creatures commonly spawn into the game = more fun.
    If the hyperspace system is a jump for a few seconds, it's not much of a difference from the normal jump systems. The point is to differentiate the two. Perhaps, the jump drive system could be used normally when you dont have the Hyperspace Thrusters, and when you have the thrusters you can remain in Hyperspace. Cuts down on block usage (only adding one new block for the actual drives...although the crystals would be another block type) and it would allow these spider spawns. I dont see the point of having Hyperspace be a jump based system though since we already have the jump drive.

Heres my idea/take on this:

Hyperspace is an invisible subset to the normal space. This subset fades into view as normal space fades out (all of this would be client side). Couple this with some sort of screen effect and its a seamless transition. Now, this fading only occurs when you're going to remain in Hyperspace for more than a short jump, otherwise it functions exactly like the normal jump system. The only way to remain in hyperspace is to have specialized thrusters that let you maneuver in hyperspace. Now, the normal jump system is pretty safe and what we see now (maybe toss in those spider spawn chances). The Hyperspace travel system would let you travel like you do in normal space, but distances would be increased compared to normal space. Perhaps a 2:1 ratio or something. Now in this hyperspace you have glowing crystals that have some form of energy arcing between them. Hittin these energy arcs would cause explosive damage if your shields aren't strong enough. The crystals theselves could be used to maybe create an upgrade to basic weapons systems that you can slave to them. (The Hyperspace Upgrade! Join the Void today!) Dont know what the crystals would be used for but thats an idea. Anyway, as for the monsters, they would be hugely varied in size, from able to take a chunk out of a ship, to being able to latch on and maybe burrow into the ship.

Ideally, I would like to keep jump drive and hyperspace separate because the jumpdrive seems to work on a wormhole system, while hyperspace is more of an interdimensional travel system. But they could be combined to conserve on blocks being added. And truthfully, wormholes are bridges between space and time, hyperspace is a dimension of space, not completely inconceivable.

(Yes I am giving ground because I fully admit that i was REALLY tired last night and this morning so i may not have been completely thinking things out properly :P)

Reactions: SapioiT

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I feel like hyperspace should be another dimension where everything is close together, and there are more things to pew pew.

Reaction score
    If the hyperspace system is a jump for a few seconds, it's not much of a difference from the normal jump systems. The point is to differentiate the two. Perhaps, the jump drive system could be used normally when you dont have the Hyperspace Thrusters, and when you have the thrusters you can remain in Hyperspace. Cuts down on block usage (only adding one new block for the actual drives...although the crystals would be another block type) and it would allow these spider spawns. I dont see the point of having Hyperspace be a jump based system though since we already have the jump drive.

Ideally, I would like to keep jump drive and hyperspace separate because the jumpdrive seems to work on a wormhole system, while hyperspace is more of an interdimensional travel system. But they could be combined to conserve on blocks being added. And truthfully, wormholes are bridges between space and time, hyperspace is a dimension of space, not completely inconceivable.

(Yes I am giving ground because I fully admit that i was REALLY tired last night and this morning so i may not have been completely thinking things out properly :p)
    Actually, a wormhole is basicly stretching out the space to fit your needs. And the same tehnique to stretch out the space can be used to get you to a different "layer" of the space, call it a different dimension or however you want (since that's basicly what a layer, in general, is: a paralel world). Now, since the scientists who were working on this meant it to be a way of faster travel, let's have the hyperspace be on a 1:50 ratio (meaning 1 meter in hyperspace is 50 meters in overworld) and it could be a faster way of transport than the normal world. Now, the downside, besides the crystals which spawn monsters and the pirates lurking there, would be the missing feature of overdriving the hyperspace accelerators.

Also, I think the ship should have a slower acceleration and faster deceleration, or simply both being slower than in the overworld (for simplicity, this could be plain scaled), but this is an optional thing meant to make losing stop in hyperspace a improbable thing. Maybe you could make so the weapons work there as well, with a rather big nerf (50%, maybe), since the physic laws aren't the same there, or you could have a complete new set of 2-3 new sets of blocks resembling few of the existing weapons, which work only in hyperspace (or also in overworld with that nerfing)... but that's up to you... the easier way would be just nerfing the weapons in hyperspace.

Another thing, I think, should be a constant damage, not to the ship, but to the player (entities). I mean, every player which is not inside a block, shall recive damage over time. Why this? Because we're basicly in a universe where the physics are different, hence the need for different weapons and thrusters. Luckly, the power generators still can produce energy, but only 30% of what they would produce in the overworld. Why that? So you could emergency jump to the hyperspace while having the jump drive half way loaded, than have to wait there for it to recharge, in order to get back out of hyperspace. And, when you move into the hyperspace, you should get in between the two points in overworld space representing where you jumped and where you were aiming. Jumping out would take you the other half of the distance.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Actually, a wormhole is basicly stretching out the space to fit your needs. And the same tehnique to stretch out the space can be used to get you to a different "layer" of the space, call it a different dimension or however you want (since that's basicly what a layer, in general, is: a paralel world). Now, since the scientists who were working on this meant it to be a way of faster travel, let's have the hyperspace be on a 1:50 ratio (meaning 1 meter in hyperspace is 50 meters in overworld) and it could be a faster way of transport than the normal world. Now, the downside, besides the crystals which spawn monsters and the pirates lurking there, would be the missing feature of overdriving the hyperspace accelerators.

Also, I think the ship should have a slower acceleration and faster deceleration, or simply both being slower than in the overworld (for simplicity, this could be plain scaled), but this is an optional thing meant to make losing stop in hyperspace a improbable thing. Maybe you could make so the weapons work there as well, with a rather big nerf (50%, maybe), since the physic laws aren't the same there, or you could have a complete new set of 2-3 new sets of blocks resembling few of the existing weapons, which work only in hyperspace (or also in overworld with that nerfing)... but that's up to you... the easier way would be just nerfing the weapons in hyperspace.

Another thing, I think, should be a constant damage, not to the ship, but to the player (entities). I mean, every player which is not inside a block, shall recive damage over time. Why this? Because we're basicly in a universe where the physics are different, hence the need for different weapons and thrusters. Luckly, the power generators still can produce energy, but only 30% of what they would produce in the overworld. Why that? So you could emergency jump to the hyperspace while having the jump drive half way loaded, than have to wait there for it to recharge, in order to get back out of hyperspace. And, when you move into the hyperspace, you should get in between the two points in overworld space representing where you jumped and where you were aiming. Jumping out would take you the other half of the distance.
    I'm not going to get into a discussion regarding the real life physics of the Einstein-Rosen Bridge (wormholes). Especially since in real life they only seem to be stable at the quantum level. I do like the idea of changing the attributes due to altered physics, since hyperspace is an extra dimension. Damaging players I'm a bit iffy on though. On the one hand, it makes sure that people cant really build stations or anything in Hyperspace (although that could be interesting in its own right). On the other hand, it does limit the possibilities for players a bit (especially if we get some sort of piloting system where the player doesn't need to be inside a block).

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm not going to get into a discussion regarding the real life physics of the Einstein-Rosen Bridge (wormholes). Especially since in real life they only seem to be stable at the quantum level. I do like the idea of changing the attributes due to altered physics, since hyperspace is an extra dimension. Damaging players I'm a bit iffy on though. On the one hand, it makes sure that people cant really build stations or anything in Hyperspace (although that could be interesting in its own right). On the other hand, it does limit the possibilities for players a bit (especially if we get some sort of piloting system where the player doesn't need to be inside a block).
    It is 2015. In one hundred years, people will scroll down this forum and laugh at the fact that we thought we knew how wormholes worked.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It is 2015. In one hundred years, people will scroll down this forum and laugh at the fact that we thought we knew how wormholes worked.
    Oh most definitely. ^_^

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are two very different kinds of wormholes. One is a non-euclidean bridge between two arbitrary points in space-time. The other is a literary device preventing the need for endless games of pinochle between star-ship crewmen.

In star-made I believe we are modeling the latter phenomina

Reaction score
    There should be Hyperspace AND Warp drive. If you watched Star Trek:Voyager you would know that warp 10 makes distance irrelevant. Warp should be dangerous as well but for different reasons. The faster you go, the more stress your ship would have to take and could potentially get "warp-wrecked" in warp 1-9 you would do what warp does: fold space time. There would be no wraiths or anything, you are still in the normal world, just a folded world(Stars and stuff don't matter, only black holes). In warp 10 you would just "teleport" where ever you are going. In hyperspace you would enter another dimension where if you want, you can stay. If you live there and have a ship that is decent there, it would be ridiculously powerful in the normal world. Yes there would be levels and the deeper, the more dangerous. Also in hyperspace and warp you can still interact with other ships. In hyperspace, that is because you are in the same dimension, and in warp because of the same reason. You could hit There warp engines(there would be a system you can implement on your ship that would say "target warp systems" even if the warp/hyperspace thrusters are in the middle of the ship you can still hit them(doesn't damage other things) and force them out of hyperspace/warp where you would proceed to murder their faces.

-Lemme know if there are gaps in my idea and what you would to to fix them.

-EDIT-
    Add lots of noise, light and warning for other players for when someone is about to get into/exit warp/hyperspace.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There should be Hyperspace AND Warp drive. If you watched Star Trek:Voyager you would know that warp 10 makes distance irrelevant. Warp should be dangerous as well but for different reasons. The faster you go, the more stress your ship would have to take and could potentially get "warp-wrecked" in warp 1-9 you would do what warp does: fold space time. There would be no wraiths or anything, you are still in the normal world, just a folded world(Stars and stuff don't matter, only black holes). In warp 10 you would just "teleport" where ever you are going. In hyperspace you would enter another dimension where if you want, you can stay. If you live there and have a ship that is decent there, it would be ridiculously powerful in the normal world. Yes there would be levels and the deeper, the more dangerous. Also in hyperspace and warp you can still interact with other ships. In hyperspace, that is because you are in the same dimension, and in warp because of the same reason. You could hit There warp engines(there would be a system you can implement on your ship that would say "target warp systems" even if the warp/hyperspace thrusters are in the middle of the ship you can still hit them(doesn't damage other things) and force them out of hyperspace/warp where you would proceed to murder their faces.

-Lemme know if there are gaps in my idea and what you would to to fix them.

-EDIT-
    Add lots of noise, light and warning for other players for when someone is about to get into/exit warp/hyperspace.
    I don't like the warp 10 concept of startrek.
    Because the concept of warp drives is that it compresses and decompresses space in front and back.
    Gravitationally speaking creating a downwards slope for the ship to fall down off.
    Warp 10 is just a steeper slope.
    What I would accept about warp 10 is that the warp-wrecked effect would suddenly drop off.
    Just like going super-sonic allows an aircraft to stay infront of the sonic-boom.

I like the warp idea in any case, the compressing and decompressing of normal space to allow the ship to reach ftl speed.
    hyperspace should be unworldly, 5 dimensional geology messing up your sense of space, weird sound effects.
    Everything should scream at your instincts that you are in the Ẃ̱̘̱̺̬̯͕r̜̝̮̹o̫̭̣̫̝̩n̢g̩̰̩ ̜͍̳͈̀P̪͈̰̦̠͜l̶a̗̹̗̩̣͔c̺͍͡e̺̟̻̘̱̹͠.
    Like a fish out of water flopping about, hoping it's flopping towards the water instead of away from it.

Reaction score
    I don't like the warp 10 concept of star trek.
    Because the concept of warp drives is that it compresses and decompresses space in front and back.
    Gravitationally speaking creating a downwards slope for the ship to fall down off.
    Warp 10 is just a steeper slope.
    What I would accept about warp 10 is that the warp-wrecked effect would suddenly drop off.
    Just like going super-sonic allows an aircraft to stay in front of the sonic-boom.

I like the warp idea in any case, the compressing and decompressing of normal space to allow the ship to reach ftl speed.
    hyperspace should be unworldly, 5 dimensional geology messing up your sense of space, weird sound effects.
    Everything should scream at your instincts that you are in the Ẃ̱̘̱̺̬̯͕r̜̝̮̹o̫̭̣̫̝̩n̢g̩̰̩ ̜͍̳͈̀P̪͈̰̦̠͜l̶a̗̹̗̩̣͔c̺͍͡e̺̟̻̘̱̹͠.
    Like a fish out of water flopping about, hoping it's flopping towards the water instead of away from it.
    Since Hyperspace is another dimension, unlike warp, where you ride a wave of space-time in a bubble of normal space, you would be able to stop, or get lost there, there would be NPC's stuck in the hyperspace realm that you could interact with. also in the hyperspace realm, there should be downed ships that are floating about that you could find. maybe there could be a technology that you FIND in those ships (you cant buy it, only find it) that would, be like a further, and instant jump drive, a nerfed version of my warp 10 idea, i don't know, maybe its still over-powered but it seems fine for me(Also warp 10 is very draining) and yeah, warp 10 would just be a steeper slope, maybe find another name for what i just said 1-2 rows up or just not have it.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Being a trekkie, I love the idea of a warp drive period. And i agree with vernes that "Warp 10" is one of the less than realistic parts of FTL in star trek. That being said, star trek has never been completely consistant with the warp increments (i think in the original series there was a point of going at warp 13 or something).

Back on topic now, I do think that having both drive systems (and jumpdrive...still unsure on the physics of that but hey, game-reasons) would add some versatility to ships that have both, and perhaps more options for people who might not like one or the other. As for hyperspace being a five (or more) dimensional region, I have to say I like that idea too. However, anyone trapped there would have to be in their own space-time bubble because things from our normal dimensions wouldn't be able to exist in a higher (or lower) dimensional region. That being said, I have no idea how destruction would ensue or if destruction would even occur. It makes sense logically, but physics isn't always logical. Quantum mechanics kinda messed up that idea.

Just to make sure im getting what ive missed right though:

Warp Drive - Manipulating Space-Time in such a way as to create a wave of gravity that the ship rides faster than light. (Or bubble since space-time is four dimensional)

Jump Drive - Teleportation.

Hyperspace - Dangerous as all hell form of travel that works about as well as warp drive but can also let you find cool stuff or adventure or dea- i mean new friendly creatures.

((PS: been away for a while and actually didnt review the rest of the discussion >.> so if i sound like i forgot a bunch of stuff, probably did.))