Animated water

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The current engine does not support flowing liquid, but that doesn't mean fluids can't LOOK like they move! Water should be animated. The top/bottom can just ripple. The sides could appear to flow downward for decorative waterfalls and fountains, although if it flows downward behind glass (like in a fish tank) it would look weird. Come to think of it, though, I'm not sure you can even see the water texture if it's up against glass so that might not be an issue.

This would give water a far greater aesthetic value by making it look at least remotely real if it is placed well.

EDIT: If water were made to look like it flows in a particular direction, the block could be rotated to make it flow in the desired direction in decorative streams, pipes, etc, and in places were gravity is not "down." This would further improve its aesthetic usefulness.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This suggests two different kinds of water. "Still" or "Calm" water blocks with no flow direction, and "Flowing" water blocks that can be rotated. I approve.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    already confirmed by schema. we will be getting an animated/flowing water variant. but right now I'm sure its a low priority

Reaction score
    If this is added, there needs to be the ability to turn off that animation on the client end, because it will lag out my computer for sure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If this is added, there needs to be the ability to turn off that animation on the client end, because it will lag out my computer for sure.
    The animation only consists of 4 frames, which means that it will only be about 4 frames per second, and considering that shield modules/power capacitors/etc. don't lag at all, I think it is fair to say that it most likely won't lag at all.

There is, however, a way to switch the animation off if you really son't want it. Look in the block editor/block config for any animated block, and set 'animated' to false. It should work. If it doesn't, well, then it's a bug.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In addition to flowing water animation, I think it would be good to have bubbling water, rotatable, so that the bubbles flow in any direction you want, while the water itself remains still. This would be good for not only building, but also for natural waterways on planets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't even know what the water in StarMade looks like. I've been all over the galaxy and I've never seen any anywhere. Where did you guys see water?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't even know what the water in StarMade looks like. I've been all over the galaxy and I've never seen any anywhere. Where did you guys see water?
    You can buy it in the shop and use commands to get water.

Water also should be spawning on planets soon (universe update where are you!), along with different colours of water, poison and lava.

Reaction score
    The player can currently control literally everything, like lava that ignores the laws of physics and grass in the vacuum of space and water that acts like a force field. I don't really like that. I would like some elements of the game to have their own mechanics, for example flowing water actually being liquid and stuff like that.

Just a thought of mine.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think water should also be non-solid to players and creatures, but not to ships (all the blocks are extremely bouyant or something and can't sink)

The real reason for this, of course, is so water blocks don't clip inside ships when they try and land on bodies of water.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Non-physical water for ships only also would mean incredible force fields for hangars, which is something we all should want.

Reaction score
    Non-physical water for ships only also would mean incredible force fields for hangars, which is something we all should want.
    I did try that a few weeks ago before finding that water blocks were now physical instead of non-physical like I first discovered XD

Reaction score
    You can buy it in the shop and use commands to get water.

Water also should be spawning on planets soon (universe update where are you!), along with different colours of water, poison and lava.
    The more I heard about the Universe update, the more anxious I get. I can't wait![DOUBLEPOST=1413914618,1413914510][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think water should also be non-solid to players and creatures, but not to ships (all the blocks are extremely bouyant or something and can't sink)

The real reason for this, of course, is so water blocks don't clip inside ships when they try and land on bodies of water.
    I believe there is a mod out for that. I saw something regarding water and allowing people and blocks to go through it, but not missles or cannon fire. I didn't read too much into it though

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    To make water non-physical for everything you can just set water to physical=false.
    What @Lecic wants is for water to only be non-physical for ships, not players/NPCs/creatures too.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You can already use open plex doors as force fields. They'll stop cannon fire, just not missiles.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In zero-g water should bubble up.

Unfortunately, the engine does not support real liquids, which is why I made this thread in the first place. At the moment, water is not a liquid but a decoration, although much of the community hopes that Schema will find an appealing, well-optimized solution to liquids sometime in the near or distant future.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In zero-g water should bubble up.
    For the sake of decorative freedom, I still think it should be rotatable. The visual bubbles don't necessarily have to represent bubbles in water. (Example: Maybe you set up some water behind glass with sideways-rolling bubbles to simulate an updating computer screen. Maybe green water with downward bubbles to simulate a Matrix monitor screen.)