An Apology

Status
    Not open for further replies.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Suggestion for you Debris, most email clients allow you to set up rules. set it up so that anything from @starmadedock.net gets moved out of the inbox to a starmade folder, making it easier to find work stuff :)

Reaction score
    Now hang on, Matt, I'm not telling them to apologize to me for something I started. It was my mistake for not knowing about what the spam button did other than move emails I didn't need to see into a different folder. I think wedtm gave an accurate description of what happened.
    The reason you didnt know what it did is because this never happens. It is extremely unconventional for a web admin to send a threatening email to you and ban you for using the junk button.

Visibility achieved i suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Trafalgar

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    They should have asked you to undo it first. it isnt really abuse of a button, but not knowing of how it works. Resba over reacted with this punishment, but atleast it has been sorted and explained

Reactions: Ithirahad

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Mattk50 no reason to get insulting and accuse us of blackmailing. And in general, we never ban any customer from the game if it's about the forum anyway (just the forum in this case). Also there is a disable option in every email you get, so they can be disabled by reasonable means. And it was immediately cleared up after the circumstances were clear. It's really disappointing to see how quickly some people get hostile at times, and assume we want to randomly screw people over.

In general I'm sorry that we overreacted, but we had to stop what we at that time assumed to be a thread.

Reaction score
    Didnt accuse or imply you'd ban someone from the game for it (regardless, permabanning someone's forum account is still blackmail when its dealing with something like this, i have certain forum accounts i'd hate to lose, and obviously anyone in charge of a game organization has it even worse). According to info on this thread, the disable option wasn't an option in the circumstance. In any case, the issue is obviously resolved.

You do realize how completely unusual this is right, its a direct abuse of a system thats intended for internal moderation of sending of undesirable emails. I've never even heard of a site owner contacting a customer because of average use of spam sorting before. Im curious if it falls within amazon's ToS.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    The ban was put into place to ensure that all email from the system was halted for that account immediately. As stated earlier, the user's StarMade account was unaffected.

The ban was also put into place because of the unusual number of complaints originating from this user in a short period of time. Several users each day will unsubscribe, or mark one or two messages a spam. Those cases are all perfectly fine. FlyingDebris was given ample time to have the account reinstated, which he took advantage of.

The FBL tool is an industry wide standard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedback_loop_(email)), and is not a feature that we have chosen to implement, but are required to by our upstream provider. We will investigate the possibility of a workaround for unsubscribing when the spam button is clicked.

This really isn't as uncommon as one might think. These sort of things happen daily, and as you can see by FlyingDebris own account, they are resolved rather quickly.

Reaction score
    If I'm understanding this correctly:

User made a post or had someone reply to said users post, user receives email notification of an action in a separate email service such as hotmail, user sends notification to spam, user is temp banned on the forum?

That is absolutely ludicrous regardless of any context what-so-ever.

I send email notifications from ALL the forums I participate on (and I'm on a lot) to the spam folder, because that's what it is. Newsletters, notifications, updates-all to the spam folder.

When given the choice (or if the option isn't buried like it is in some forum settings panels) I'll opt-out of said emails, but by and large it's usually a "to-the-spam" situation.

This really isn't as uncommon as one might think. These sort of things happen daily
    Been on the internet for a long time and I have never, ever, heard of this kind of thing happening before. Neither through user complaint/testimonial/review nor official statements...

Perhaps Email notification ought to be off by default.
    Well, if you can get banned for adding an email in your personal inbox to the spam folder, then hell yes email notifications should be off by default.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    As said. the ban was just to stop this for now, as we didn't know what was going on.

Moving emails to spam is not a bannable offense! We just used it to stop the process of sending mail, as we suspected something malicious, and we didn't have another tool at the time. That was overreacting and wrong, as has been pointed out, and has been corrected. In the future, using the spam button will result in an unsubscribe from the thread. This is a one-time situation. It wont happen again!

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I definitely didn't even notice the unsubscribe links. Of course, it would be hard to notice links in emails I never opened.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Oh gawd, imagine if facebook closed accounts (which was reasonable in starmade's case). With the unorthodox amount of emails they send out (and the complicated and long disabling process) the amount of "spam" complaints they are getting must be astronomical.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    They no care they know everyone! They know where you live which Starbucks you go to and when you eat your breakfast.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wow, I never heard of the FBL. - I quickly made the assumption that something like this couldn't exist because that would be a way for spammers to identify a valid email (even if it meant them being marked as spam, that's really valuable information).

I'm really surprised that the OP wasn't trolling. - But i'm glad this was handled and will never occur again.

My foul called was legit; but I'm moved by the reasonable and kind reaction from FlyingDebris, which resulted in a quick solution.
    Starmade Team & Community are pretty awesome.

Reactions: FlyingDebris
    Reaction score
    @webtm

That isn't an issue for the user. That is an issue for the service provider. You banning a customer for that is ridiculous.

I feel a ban was abit over the top. What you report as spam or filter in your email client is your business, and starmade dock surely can not ban you for this. How did they even find out you did this? sounds odd to me :/
    Exactly therimmer...this type of inanity seems to be running rampant in the official ranks atm and it is disheartening.

The game already took a huge hit from the last patch, is a shadow of its former self, and they still insist on banning those they have left over inane issues such as this?

The only word that accurately describes this is "wow".

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I'm not sure exactly where you're getting these... Eh, I'll call them 'doomsday' scenarios. If you would please enlighten me as to your reasoning, I'm sure we can find where the misunderstanding is.

If you're not happy with how the game is going and you want to see it move in what you view is a 'better' direction, then you should try to help the developers by directly identifying problems, explaining them, and then working with the developers to find a solution and develop an action plan around that solution.

Simply complaining without providing any meaningful feedback isn't very constructive as it doesn't help us figure out where problems lie and how to solve them efficiently. Instead you're detracting from the experience of others in the community and creating a falsely negative connotation about the game. The only people who would purposely do so are people who are looking to see Starmade flop, and since you're here on the community forums with us you're obviously here to help develop Starmade instead.

In order to put any misunderstanding behind us, let's follow the steps I've outlined in the second paragraph and we can solve your issues that way instead of playing ad lib with complaints.

Last edited:
    Reactions: rece ktore leczo
    Reaction score
    I don't want to sound too condescending, but it does bother me more and more how common doomsday complaints are in general anymore. It feels like anytime something doesn't go perfect, the sky's about to giveway to fire and brimstone. Yea, people like Incap and the Vaygr who provided action left, but it's all only temporary and they went through quite a few lengths to make this known. There's also IRL reasons to dropoffs, like I know it's finals week in my college and many others are there or will be there. Many more are simply waiting for the new update to put it through it's paces.

It's a lull right now, but do try and not soil the furniture for when they come back by leaving doomsday turds around, please. It's really smelly and stains the carpet... :/

resba

administrator
    Reaction score
    Thankyoucaseclosedwe'redoneherecansomeonelockthethreadnow.
    This thread has been locked due to the original poster's request.

Anyone (including the OP) wishing to reverse this please send me a PM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.