An analysis of the relationship between planets, faction interactions and resource acquisition.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    between
    and
    , you'll have your hands full

it doesn't effect the game's boringness at all. like seriously, it'll just be one less thing to do and will give the game less tedium as well as giving territory more purpose.

brother you gotta open your eyes and recognize
    Hey both of you have points, and I agree with most points on this thread, but I have had my wife stop playing because 1) ship building isn't her thing, and 2) she just wanted to explore. In my eyes, optimize for BOTH single and multiplayer, favoring neither.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Now that I'm reading back through it, the only thing that bugs me about this is that it doesn't allow for infinite resources. If we want people to be fighting, we need infinite (or nearly-infinite) resources... There's a reason the faction scene died after Buy with Blocks was implemented. We just need those resources to not be everywhere all of time time, otherwise there's nothing to trade or fight for. A slow but ever-present trickle of different resources into different areas shouldn't be much of a problem, considering the scales at which people build their combat vessels. This would still be an improvement, though, and for all I know it would work out anyway.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Now that I'm reading back through it, the only thing that bugs me about this is that it doesn't allow for infinite resources. If we want people to be fighting, we need infinite (or nearly-infinite) resources... There's a reason the faction scene died after Buy with Blocks was implemented. We just need those resources to not be everywhere all of time time, otherwise there's nothing to trade or fight for. A slow but ever-present trickle of different resources into different areas shouldn't be much of a problem, considering the scales at which people build their combat vessels. This would still be an improvement, though, and for all I know it would work out anyway.
    It IS infinite, the ressources would regenerate over time. If you mean infinife as in as much as you want instantly then capture and harvest an entire galaxy I guess?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Wait, never mind, I derped. >.>

But the resource regeneration rates should be semi-random and not have anything to do with radius... seeing as for the time being some players can't even handle larger planets.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What if certain planet types were better for different resources? Desert and red planets could be rich in minerals. But, with the upcoming flora/fauna update, biological resources could be important as well. Perhaps green earth like planets could be made into farms (with blocks like perhaps "greenhouse controller" and "greenhouse extensions". Would make finding different types of planets a thing, and could potentially encourage things like mining factions and agricultural factions.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Wait, never mind, I derped. >.>

But the resource regeneration rates should be semi-random and not have anything to do with radius... seeing as for the time being some players can't even handle larger planets.
    Well, the point of radius being included in the equation was so that bigger planets have better resource regen. Dunno, kinda made sense for me to have bigger planets generate more.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, the point of radius being included in the equation was so that bigger planets have better resource regen. Dunno, kinda made sense for me to have bigger planets generate more.
    I know, and it would make sense, but it would also put people who can't load larger planets due to computer issues at a disadvantage compared to everyone else :\

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I know, and it would make sense, but it would also put people who can't load larger planets due to computer issues at a disadvantage compared to everyone else :\
    Yea I know, and agree with you. Imo if this is ever implemented it should come with a boatload of config settings so that people can adjust based on what they have/need anyways.

It's still possible to just reduce the max draw setting for people with less lowerful computers, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue tbh.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It's still possible to just reduce the max draw setting for people with less lowerful computers, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue tbh.
    You always say that, but I'll have to inform again, for the 999th time, that this never works.
    While the game does not render the texture, I imagine it still computes the area because otherwise, there would be several client data desyncs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree docked reactors implies lag proportionnally to how much there are working at the same time and I feel it's closely related to the beams being fired in loop. What if docked reactor had a system on it that give his power to the entity it's docked on without beams? The block size of this system could balance how much power is moved to the ship just like now.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I haven't read all the posts, so sorry if I mention anything, but I have to go soon and wanted to type this up before I left and see any responses to it when I return.

Simpler Resource Generation with the four stats on planets we have now.
    The four stats being:
    -Health of Planet
    -Radius of Planet
    -Type of Planet
    -Distance from Star

I saw a lot of people talking about the health, and how the 'drills' drain it or something. I have a different approach.

Number of extractors per plate correlates to Radius of planet over 100. E=R/100. The total number of Extractors per planet is:
    E(t)=(R/100) x 12.

Now, how to make extractors. You need to build some large complicated multi-block machine that has 2 criteria: It is large, and it is expensive.
    These should be able to be built on the planet, or deployed from orbit and docked to the planet plate, making use of the blueprint system.

How they function: Once built, they align an internal clock to the next closest hour. Example: an extractor built at 14:01 through 14:59 will start it's clock on 15:00. The purpose of these clocks is to record how many hours they have been activated and running. To make it simple, each planet that has at least one extractor on it starts recording every hour, and stores the information of all the collective extractors on that planet. That should optimize any lag, and eventually it might be recorded per system. Each hour is like a tick for them. This applies to all extractors in the universe, and all sectors that have extractors that are unloaded. Once a sector that has a planet with extractors is loaded, while loading the game asks the planet how long the extractors have been running, and then places the resources collected over time into the chest linked to the system.

Once set up, it slowly comes online. After 4 hours it starts producing resources at 5% effectiveness, and the game adds 5% more effectiveness for the next 20 hours, until it is up to running at full capacity. But that is not all. Due to the cost to establish the thing, it would need to run a number of hours until the person who set it up starts actually making a profit.

I believe that the machine should run for 2-3 more days (28-60 more hours, or for these machines, ticks), for a total of 3-4 days, to turn a profit. Thus, upon establishing how expensive the machinery should be and how much it sets you back, you can extrapolate how much the miner produces per hour. Remember, that a R300 planet can have up to 36 extractor on it!

Reaction score
    In my opinion this just makes it impossible for a solo player to play solo. I do think a large ship (100k or more mass) should be hard to get, but at a scale like that even large factions would have a hard time acquiring them if the resources for more standard blocks are made even harder to get.
    I think that's a good thing. Realistically it SHOULDN'T be possible for one person to produce a capital ship all by themselves. I'd rather have more people flying around in smaller ships and having the 100k+ mass ships as something that take large amounts of effort even for a large faction to produce.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I think that's a good thing. Realistically it SHOULDN'T be possible for one person to produce a capital ship all by themselves. I'd rather have more people flying around in smaller ships and having the 100k+ mass ships as something that take large amounts of effort even for a large faction to produce.
    Thinking like this, you seem to wish to completely kill multiplayer gameplay. It is already hard enough to make up the resouces for ships on Vanilla.

1- There will be always that guy who has no life that will grind the heck of the game and make a doom(cube or brick).

2- So, you support the idea of enforcing people of a faction to do work for you ? This never works. Huge experience talking here.

3- No matter how difficult it is to make ships, people will never leave gigantism, because at the moment someone gets a 10mil blocks ships (do not use mass as a size measurement anymore, some blocks are now more heavier then others) nobody will ever bother to leave their homebases, unless they build something even bigger, making a snowball.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Uh... if you're a solo player worried about attacks you could always make the planet your homebase you know? I really don't see how an additional way to get ressources would make it harder to obtain cap ships.

The way I see it it'd alleviate the grind that is getting ressources by making part of it passive.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah... Speedyblupi Trying to prevent people from getting gigantic ships is a futile effort and will always backfire. If anything, there should be maintenance costs for ships that big, but that's another subject entirely and probably should get its own topic. However, I fail to see how this would make it any harder.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I would love for people to fly around in smaller ships as well. But I don't want them to be the only option. In my ideal fantasy, both large and small ships have their uses and would benefit from each other. ie; carrier is useful because of its fighters, fighters are useful because of their carrier. Unfortunately the game is not in that state. Also, in my personal experience, making larger ships is considerably fun and very rewarding when you finally finish them. It's not so rewarding when you can't ever hope to get them in multiplayer.