An accident waiting to happen.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As everybody knows in the future safety regulations are a thing of the past.
    Walkways without a railing above dead defying drops? Sure go ahead. Seat belts? What are those?

I found myself designing a cargo space mixed with glass walkways to offload passengers.
    Sure gravity is not a factor but a loose cargo container can still crush one of those.
    But who cares. It still looks good.

So my question to you. What deathtraps have you designed lately just because it looked good?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    First off, let me just say that loading bay looks damn good.

Anyway, this is far from recent, but in a long term station I started work on a while back, I included a large open shaft near the bottom of the station with some catwalks. For whatever reason back then I didn't like using wedges in cylinders. I'm going to have to fix that some day.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    First off, let me just say that loading bay looks damn good.

Anyway, this is far from recent, but in a long term station I started work on a while back, I included a large open shaft near the bottom of the station with some catwalks. For whatever reason back then I didn't like using wedges in cylinders. I'm going to have to fix that some day.
    If you are going to wedge it you might as well make another improvement. Remove the safety rail!
    It’s not futuristic enough until simply tripping will send you to certain doom.
    Great work though.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Death trap.. My fav has to be the Magma Plume. It's a vertical tube (I've made horizontal ones too they don't look as cool) with lava trapped inside plex glass. The idea is to provide heat and ambient light for buildings and stations. If the glass were to be shattered or removed and the lava allowed to liquefy it would spell disaster for anyone too close. If gravity were enabled and the lava spill happened on the lowest level of the structure the entire deck might become a pool of melty death. In an office building where I used a Magma Plume I made a sub basement, placed a railing and but a one block space form the surface of the glass to the adjoining floor. If the glass were broken then it would cling to the plex glass and pool in the basement. But lava isn't liquid-able yet so there's no fear. And that office went the way of the old universe anyhow.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I personally enjoy putting faction modules at the forward end of turrets - that way when I spawn a new ship and go to set the faction blocks on the turrets - there's an off chance I might get shot in the face if pirates decide to spawn at just the wrong line of sight

Reaction score
    Are we talking form a real life NASA perspective or a sci-fi Star Trek perspective? Just goofing around on my latest ship, I made a Star Trek-like Bridge that can support a crew of about 12 people, then I encased 50% of the thing in glass; the entire front, top and partial walls. It look sneat, but in reality, a single meteorite spells disaster for the whole crew :(

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I once put some lava blocks for a ship's engines (back when there were no colored crystals). The server glitched when I was inside the ship and nearly died because of lava...

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I used lava to light a hallway and a staircase in my spacetrain.
    Walking up and down in it would kill you, even if the train wasn't moving.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Well some obvious ones that everybody made.

1. A ship without airlock.

2. Cover weapons or thrusters with blocks. Certain death to a lot of passangers.

3. Every gravity elevator. Falling isn´t so much fun.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I personally enjoy putting faction modules at the forward end of turrets - that way when I spawn a new ship and go to set the faction blocks on the turrets - there's an off chance I might get shot in the face if pirates decide to spawn at just the wrong line of sight
    There is hope!
    1. Faction your mothership
    2. Leave the area/server (ship unloads) - in MP everyone in the close proximity would have to leave
    3. Get back online, the faction assignment has spread one level further down the docking chain! (turrets on mothership will all be factioned)

That being said, the concept of "airlock" has not yet arrived on smaller SCF vessels. Ships are to be boarded in pressurized hangars. There are no safety measures to stop anyone from randomly opening a door into space mid-flight.
    In addition, there may or may not be vertical launch missile turrets on all ships. Some of them point to the bottom of the ship. When the ship is landed and the AI is still active... chances are you are going to detonate a nuke directly below it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    While building a large space station I was in the process of constructing a hospital/medbay however all the bathrooms were actually doors to a fall directly into the vacuum of space... It could make for a seriously bad day: Just arrived at the hospital due to laser burns, need to take a dump badly... surprise! There is no bathroom!

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Boba_Fett
    Spaceman: "Nurse! I'm bleeding badly!"
    Nurse: "Take a seat.."
    Spaceman: "Can a borrow your bathroom quickly?"
    Nurse: "Sure, make my job easier..."

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    There is hope!
    1. Faction your mothership
    2. Leave the area/server (ship unloads) - in MP everyone in the close proximity would have to leave
    3. Get back online, the faction assignment has spread one level further down the docking chain! (turrets on mothership will all be factioned)
    You sir, are my new hero! I've never noticed that before... probably because I have a habit of entering faction signatures on everything as soon as I spawn it - almost indefinitely followed by faction signing it again after dock because I'm scared I might have forgot to do it initially... it's a near crippling Starmade version of OCD.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Well some obvious ones that everybody made.

1. A ship without airlock.

2. Cover weapons or thrusters with blocks. Certain death to a lot of passangers.

3. Every gravity elevator. Falling isn´t so much fun.
    Number 3 was only made because of less gravity. It was invented by Dave #86943268432694 when comparing Minecraft gravity to Starmade and found he could fall as far as he wanted without dying. :P