Am i miss reading things orr

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    did i perchance find a bug

from what im reading, my missile system drains 75 million power, my ship has over 90 million, but the missile wont fire, so im curios if im just misreading the power drain of my missile, or if theres a bug?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I had a similar bug before. I don't remember what caused it or how it went away. But yes if you can come up with 75mil power, you should have quite the doomsday weapon there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What's the size of the weapon groups? I can test it in my world and see what comes up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What's the size of the weapon groups? I can test it in my world and see what comes up.
    11079 missile blocks
    7100 beam blocks
    3750 overdrive blocks

I had a similar bug before. I don't remember what caused it or how it went away. But yes if you can come up with 75mil power, you should have quite the doomsday weapon there.

thing is, i have 94 million power right now ;-;

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    11079 missile blocks
    7100 beam blocks
    3750 overdrive blocks
    I plugged those numbers into an excel file someone made, and according to that, it takes a little over 200mil to fire. I also tested it in game, would not fire with 195mil power, but would with 210mil power. The ingame display is wrong, you need a lot more.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I plugged those numbers into an excel file someone made, and according to that, it takes a little over 200mil to fire. I also tested it in game, would not fire with 195mil power, but would with 210mil power. The ingame display is wrong, you need a lot more.
    Good god, the ingame display is way wrong. Thank you so much!!

Edit: and now i have to rethink this ships primary weaponry...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    the menu is not showing the needs for slaved systems.
    that is a long known bug (or missing feature). i even think that is mentioned somewhere in the game.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Good god, the ingame display is way wrong. Thank you so much!!

Edit: and now i have to rethink this ships primary weaponry...
    The offensive overdrive effect is good to pack a lot of punch in a small turret, but for such a big weapon it's far too power hungry, unless it's a pure alpha weapon.

You can easily calculate the real damage value yourself:
    1. Each weapon module has a base consumption of 100 e/s.
    2. Your total block count is 11079 + 7100 + 3750 = 21 929.
    3. That's 21 929 * 100 = 2 192 900 energy per second.
    4. With your reload of 34 225.6 ms = 34.2256 s that's 2 192 900 * 34.2256 = 75 053 318.24 energy per missile. This is only slightly different from the dispalyed value due to rounding errors*.
    5. What throws a monkey wrench into your works is the overdrive effect, which apparently isn't factored in in the displayed number. 100 % overdrive would increase base power consumption by 500%**. You have 3750 / 11 079 = 33.9 % overdrive effect, which means your weapon's power consumption is increased by 5 * 0.339 = 1.692 = 169.2 %.
    6. This brings your power consumption to 75 053 318.24 * 2.692 = 202 072 879.3 energy per missile (+/- rounding error).
    *) Displayed values are always rounded to one decimal place. Missiles have a base reload of 15 s, with a 100 % beam slave it's 45 s, an increase by 30 s. You have a 7100 / 11 079 = 64.1 % beam slave, which increases reload by 0.641 * 30 s = 19.2 s. So the total reload is 15 s + 19.2 s = 34.22556... s, which gets rounded to 34 225.6 ms.

**) Note that after an increase by 500% you'll get 600% of the original value, not 500%.

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Overdrive is your issue here, also, i REALLY suggest you DONT fire that size of missile. Its highly innefficient, and an AMS turret will shoot it down. Because Missile have a Maximum radius, they have a hard cap as to how many blocks they destroy per missile per volley.

You need as few as 350/350/350 Missile-beam-Pierce PER MISSILE OUTPUT to get MAX sized holes in exposed systems (Pierce adds +5 radius to 17r), and leave a pretty good hole when it hits armour and systems below. It does even more damage when the AHP has been depleted. (this should be around 1m damage in the Weapons menu per missiles)

As for explosive, this is about 750/750/750 missile beam explosive to leave a max sized hole inside system blocks. It does mediocre damage up until the AHP has been depleted when it hits external armour, then it gets very Strong hitting. (EEXP effect adds +10 radius, for 22r) (this should be about 2m damage per missile in the ship weapons menu)

As for Overdrive, you can use as little as 250/250/250. Overdrive does 3x the power for 6x the cost, for an overall drawback of 1/2 as efficient weapon. I advise you keep away from Overdrive until you know extensively when and where to use each effect. (Overdrive also adds +10 to the radius, making it literally an Explosive missile with 3x the power, and 6x draw).

More total modules on a missile only adds more guarantee to kill all blocks in radius, it adds no more block damage beyond its radius. You can cause far more damage on that system by firing 4 smaller Explosive rockets, etc. Just be aware good AMS systems will ruin your missiles.

Anti-shield missiles dont need to be multiple rockets, however the alpha is harder to shoot down if its a bunch of smaller missiles

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Overdrive is your issue here, also, i REALLY suggest you DONT fire that size of missile. Its highly innefficient, and an AMS turret will shoot it down. Because Missile have a Maximum radius, they have a hard cap as to how many blocks they destroy per missile per volley.

You need as few as 350/350/350 Missile-beam-Pierce PER MISSILE OUTPUT to get MAX sized holes in exposed systems (Pierce adds +5 radius to 17r), and leave a pretty good hole when it hits armour and systems below. It does even more damage when the AHP has been depleted. (this should be around 1m damage in the Weapons menu per missiles)

As for explosive, this is about 750/750/750 missile beam explosive to leave a max sized hole inside system blocks. It does mediocre damage up until the AHP has been depleted when it hits external armour, then it gets very Strong hitting. (EEXP effect adds +10 radius, for 22r) (this should be about 2m damage per missile in the ship weapons menu)

As for Overdrive, you can use as little as 250/250/250. Overdrive does 3x the power for 6x the cost, for an overall drawback of 1/2 as efficient weapon. I advise you keep away from Overdrive until you know extensively when and where to use each effect. (Overdrive also adds +10 to the radius, making it literally an Explosive missile with 3x the power, and 6x draw).

More total modules on a missile only adds more guarantee to kill all blocks in radius, it adds no more block damage beyond its radius. You can cause far more damage on that system by firing 4 smaller Explosive rockets, etc. Just be aware good AMS systems will ruin your missiles.

Anti-shield missiles dont need to be multiple rockets, however the alpha is harder to shoot down if its a bunch of smaller missiles
    truthfully I was already considering changing it to either a cannon cannon setup or a beam setup of some kind. not sure which one is better for such a massive vessel though.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I'd split it into a core beam/beam/ion or shield-drain/beam that takes a little more than your after-thrust energy/sec, and a dozen mis/pulse/explosive block-killer nukes.

Ship in the millions of structure should have most of it's DPS in self-powered turrets IMHO. Big ships just can't maneuver well enough to use spinals effectively.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd split it into a core beam/beam/ion or shield-drain/beam that takes a little more than your after-thrust energy/sec, and a dozen mis/pulse/explosive block-killer nukes.

Ship in the millions of structure should have most of it's DPS in self-powered turrets IMHO. Big ships just can't maneuver well enough to use spinals effectively.
    that was close to what I was thinking actually, im going to be expanding the ship some more anyways to make room for some more modules, but, I wanted at least one spinal gun up front so I could have something to fire off an initial volley at the start of an engagement. might be able to work in both of those systems you've said with the upgrades, ill see what I can do!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    that was close to what I was thinking actually, im going to be expanding the ship some more anyways to make room for some more modules, but, I wanted at least one spinal gun up front so I could have something to fire off an initial volley at the start of an engagement. might be able to work in both of those systems you've said with the upgrades, ill see what I can do!
    I'd avoid beams as first strike weapon due to their short range.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd avoid beams as first strike weapon due to their short range.
    is their range really that terrible? most of my designs use cannons/something as their primary anywho due to the faster fire rate and lower power drain

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    is their range really that terrible? most of my designs use cannons/something as their primary anywho due to the faster fire rate and lower power drain
    Default range is half that of cannons. There are range increasing slaves, but they can be used with cannons as well. However, weapon ranges are defined relative to sector size. With default sector size unslaved beams have only 1 km range, which I'd describe as basically useless. On servers with far bigger sectors, on the other hand, beams can outreach the effective range of cannons due to their hitscan ability.

Reactions: Deserea
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Default range is half that of cannons. There are range increasing slaves, but they can be used with cannons as well. However, weapon ranges are defined relative to sector size. With default sector size unslaved beams have only 1 km range, which I'd describe as basically useless. On servers with far bigger sectors, on the other hand, beams can outreach the effective range of cannons due to their hitscan ability.
    Thats...thats kinda gross actually, guess ill use cannons for now. Thank you very much!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thats...thats kinda gross actually, guess ill use cannons for now. Thank you very much!
    Beams have their uses, especially against very small targets. And the default sector size might be increased in the future.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Beam beam has a 1.5 sector range which with ion effect makes a great alpha weapon

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Beams have their uses, especially against very small targets. And the default sector size might be increased in the future.
    Is cannon cannon piercing any good, for a spinal weapon? or should i go cannon, pulse, ????? never built a spinal weapon, most of my primary weapons are missiles of some kind.

Beam beam has a 1.5 sector range which with ion effect makes a great alpha weapon
    That doesnt sound to bad actually, decent enough range, and it can be complimented with some turret firepower too.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    The 15 second reload time allows the beam beam setup to pack a bit of a punch.

It is my alpha weapon of choice