Alpha Test Fuel

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It is completely unrelated EXCEPT in that both are consumable. The effects on game play are otherwise completely different. Crack cocaine, enriched uranium and chicken soup are all consumable as well - I've never seen anyone suggesting because they are all consumable they are essentially the same thing and have the same effects on the world. Because we have clear evidence to the contrary. The only reason anyone here is suggesting such an absurd thing bout vastly different consumables in this context is that no evidence exists to support or refute their claims, giving them carte blanche to SAY anything about it at all regardless of its merit or lack thereof. Actual testing will solve this debate, by the way.
    omg, roflmfao...
    Fuel(2) - Dictionary
    Fuel - Wikipedia (second paragraph)

You do realize that 'food' is a generic term for an energy supply for organic machines?

Consume fuel/food/ammo to provide functionality for the ship/player/weapons. When fuel/food/ammo runs out, ship/player/weapon recieves a massive debuff and no longer works properly. One must prepare in advance to provide a steady supply of fuel/food/ammo to ensure that such a debuff does not occur. This forces the player to set aside storage, build factories/farms and/or establish trade contacts.

The mechanics are exactly the same.

My point, relevant to the suggestion, is that most people do not want a hunger system. They hate the idea and become unthinkly hostile at the mere mention of it. (Thank you for proving my point, btw) There is no reason to test this, as most people do not want to add hunger to StarMade and Scheme has specifically stated it will not happen.

$0.02, moving on...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Please STOP this point-less argumentation about food==fuel or food=/=fuel.​

Reaction score
    if you want fuel added, food will be added aswell is what i think they are trying to say.

Reaction score
    I look at this argument and laugh aloud, for it is ludicrous. But I LOVE the idea of adding fuel, just another factor to make things interesting for all those explorer-type players out there.

As for food, just no...

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    omg, roflmfao...
    Fuel(2) - Dictionary
    Fuel - Wikipedia (second paragraph)

You do realize that 'food' is a generic term for an energy supply for organic machines?

Consume fuel/food/ammo to provide functionality for the ship/player/weapons. When fuel/food/ammo runs out, ship/player/weapon recieves a massive debuff and no longer works properly. One must prepare in advance to provide a steady supply of fuel/food/ammo to ensure that such a debuff does not occur. This forces the player to set aside storage, build factories/farms and/or establish trade contacts.

The mechanics are exactly the same.

My point, relevant to the suggestion, is that most people do not want a hunger system. They hate the idea and become unthinkly hostile at the mere mention of it. (Thank you for proving my point, btw) There is no reason to test this, as most people do not want to add hunger to StarMade and Scheme has specifically stated it will not happen.

$0.02, moving on...
    My suggestion is NOT about food.

The OP was about fuel. Ships are entirely different entities than toons, and have a completely different relationship to the player than do toons. I have asked you politely to stop derailing this suggestion with an unrelated concept.

You already had put your two cents in the first time and I had no problem, but seriously guy. Start your own thread about how food is fuel. This is bordering on uncivil behavior. You roll in here saying I'm suggesting something I'm not, then attacking the popularity of that other thing which was never even relevant to the OP. That's called a Straw Man. It has a wiki too - I trust you can find it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Again: Please STOP this point-less argumentation about food==fuel or food=/=fuel.​
    Agree MacThule

Fuel cells are a nice read, but I prefer fission and solar+quantum-storage for real interstellar distances. Space has not so large quantities of oxygen and hydrogen floating around to make use of all hardware on a big ship.

Reaction score
    To be fair, I think Space Engineers has mastered space sandbox survival mode with fuel, and thus has proven how good it can be if balanced properly.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    One assumption I see a lot is that fuel is something we'd mine, and thus grind, for. This certainly neither needs to nor should be the case.

Fuel should, ideally, be produced continuously by infrastructure. You don't go mining asteroids for fuel, you set up a mining outpost, leave it running, and go there to stock up every once in a while. Fuel would be a continuous expense, unlike materials, which are only needed for one-time expansions and repairs. Thus, it also needs a continuous, renewable source.

What this source should be can be debated endlessly. Personally, I've always liked the idea of using stars- some level of fuel could be produced from any station in a star system, using some form of solar collectors. High-tier supply could be found by placing a station between two binary stars, eating directly off the mass transfer, assuming you have the resources to shield the station enough. A one-time bulk load of fuel could be acquired by diving a superbly shielded ship through the star directly, Destiny style.

Of course, there's plenty of other options, but if we're after a bare-bones experimental system, stars have the advantage that, unlike nebulae, uranium, biomass and whatnot, they're already in the game.

Reaction score
    To be fair, I think Space Engineers has mastered space sandbox survival mode with fuel, and thus has proven how good it can be if balanced properly.
    Then why does starmade have to be the same as space engineers? Cant it focus on the other aspects instead of being another survival game?

Reactions: DrTarDIS
    Reaction score
    Then why does starmade have to be the same as space engineers? Cant it focus on the other aspects instead of being another survival game?
    I used the feature in space engineers as an example. This was not a comparison of space engineers to Starmade...

Reaction score
    I agree, fuel generation could be done like factories, call the block a refinery and only allow them to be placed on stations & planets. Feed the refinery crystals and other stuff, and then it slowly fills up the attached fuel storage blocks (similar to cargo space). Docked ships can draw out the fuel, or purchase it from shops or even other factions stations. Perhaps even have the ability to sell the fuel to shops, so players could possibly even turn a profit from producing an excess of it.

If people are worried about running out of fuel there's always things like adding a reserve tank of fuel to your ship, an unlinked fuel tank with enough to get you to a shop in an emergency. Or you could carry along the refinery block with some stuff to generate more fuel and when you're almost out you can set down on a planet and setup a small factory to fill up your empty fuel tanks.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I had an superp idea plants and crystals leading to the outer part of the ship.

Sun shining on crystal (1 crystal per YX, XZ, YZ) charges them with light/second depending on shininess level (distance from star, type of star, angle).
    Plants then convert shininess to fuel, depending on shininess of nearby crystals.

Why do we use space? Space engineers uses it too and has it in it's name.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Lecic has a good idea above, just needs some server tweaks.
    • Power Storage becomes your fuel tanks (server config a big buff to storage, massive)
    • Power Generation now becomes really tiny (the making of fuel) so much so only bases can do it because of the size/mass of the power units.
    • Power drain becomes massive power/mass so making it un-useable (for testing purposes)
    • Power transfer is refueling
    It would be all about re-balancing power consumption but it's all do-able without changing any of the base code. Get it figured out and I'm sure a few survival servers would love it.

Reactions: Lecic