Read by Council Allow Jumps inside a Sector

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Allow a ship to jump inside a sector. This could be used as a blink mechanic.

Two ways I see it working would

1) a straight boost/blink forward.
    2) A random location in the sector like a normal jump.

Nothing changes for charging or jump inhibitors. This gives a really cool small - mid range ship tactic and also a harder tactic for large ships to execute unless they have a lot of jump drives. Again countered by a jump inhibitor.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmmm this sounds pretty cool but the fact that it blinks forward to a random destination makes it a bit less useful.

This thing would probably be used for flanking tactics, if you have a blink thing and it either randomly blinks you x meters forward or it blinks you forward with a set distance. You will have to fly at a specific distance AWAY from your target to successfully flank them which makes the use of the blink mechanic a lot harder. If they could choose the distance mid combat it would be way better.
    Actually, now I think of that, with the computer in your Hotbar, you charge it by holding it (or logic charging) and the distance it will jump is displayed somewhere on the screen. When you stop charging the blink distance will stop increasing and you can then blink whenever you right click it. The amount of modules of the system decides the speed of charging and the max distance jumped.

Also, whenever an ON signal is received from an activator, the ship will blink (this enables the charging of blink modules through logic using normal gates and then using a remote Hotbar thing to activate it)

Really like the idea of blinking ships in combat, as long as it won't be used as a major escape system.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Push Effect Take Off Burst: Produces a burst of motion that propels the ship forward.
    I really love the idea of the defensive push effect giving your ship a quick jump, maybe a thousand or so meters. That would make small ships far more survivable and open up an entire world of new ship design philosophy.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    the amound of push effect needed to quicky shoot your ship forward is ridiculous. I tried putting one on my Serenity, and it was a joke.

Reaction score
    The idea of a combat jump system is useful. How about this: as you charge your JD, it gains range, until 99%, where it can jump up to 1 sector's distance. After than, it reaches 100% and because of magic sound science it can reach default distances. This could (With the right logic inputs/outputs) allow for some sort of crazy blink drive.
    The orientation of the JD computer would determine jump direction (100 meter jump to port? Sure!), but choosing a sector to jump to could still override that direction (Like present jumping).

Yeah, the afterburner/fast reverse uses are, in a word, crappy. Much more efficient to add some thrusters. MUCH more efficient. Now, if they acted like a rapid-burn booster rocket (Fast acceleration, 50m/s/s or more, in a direction for less than 5 seconds, I'd think) with a cooldown, then they'd be useful. Especially if you could use this to ignore server max speeds for a time, pushing your ship up to x% above server max velocity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think in combat the blink drive would be more usefull then the push effect boost,as it would put you in ftl space for a moment making it harder for lock on misses to follow.wow! or put this on a torpedo your enemies are toast!

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Hmmm this sounds pretty cool but the fact that it blinks forward to a random destination makes it a bit less useful.

This thing would probably be used for flanking tactics, if you have a blink thing and it either randomly blinks you x meters forward or it blinks you forward with a set distance. You will have to fly at a specific distance AWAY from your target to successfully flank them which makes the use of the blink mechanic a lot harder. If they could choose the distance mid combat it would be way better.
    Actually, now I think of that, with the computer in your Hotbar, you charge it by holding it (or logic charging) and the distance it will jump is displayed somewhere on the screen. When you stop charging the blink distance will stop increasing and you can then blink whenever you right click it. The amount of modules of the system decides the speed of charging and the max distance jumped.
    There are technical aspects I was worried about there. A completely random blink allows the game to select an open space for the ship to blink to. The blink forward is a little less useful but would be awesome for avoiding missiles.

Really like the idea of blinking ships in combat, as long as it won't be used as a major escape system.
    Yeah me to. I think this would be fun.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1465752368,1465752258][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Push Effect Take Off Burst: Produces a burst of motion that propels the ship forward.
    I think they are too very different things. In a blink you are there and you are gone. My ideal is actually the random blink as the blink won't orient you. You'll still need really good turning. To get a decent push effect though, its really hard over anything other then a core.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1465752522][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The idea of a combat jump system is useful. How about this: as you charge your JD, it gains range, until 99%, where it can jump up to 1 sector's distance. After than, it reaches 100% and because of magic sound science it can reach default distances. This could (With the right logic inputs/outputs) allow for some sort of crazy blink drive.
    The orientation of the JD computer would determine jump direction (100 meter jump to port? Sure!), but choosing a sector to jump to could still override that direction (Like present jumping).
    Actually I like the charge mechanic a lot. It would still have to be sufficiently high. Changing block direction sounds clunky and overly complicated to me.

Yeah, the afterburner/fast reverse uses are, in a word, crappy. Much more efficient to add some thrusters. MUCH more efficient. Now, if they acted like a rapid-burn booster rocket (Fast acceleration, 50m/s/s or more, in a direction for less than 5 seconds, I'd think) with a cooldown, then they'd be useful. Especially if you could use this to ignore server max speeds for a time, pushing your ship up to x% above server max velocity.
    Agreed.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1465752769][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I really love the idea of the defensive push effect giving your ship a quick jump, maybe a thousand or so meters. That would make small ships far more survivable and open up an entire world of new ship design philosophy.
    Yeah I would be more open to push being the straightline push, and combat jumping being random.

Reaction score
    The block direction thing though....it'd allow for a small ship capable of jumping in multiple directions to avoid all fire, all the while making its escape. That said, I'd be fine with a forwards-only option. It would be simpler that way, and no less useful. More useful, in fact, in a smaller vessel, adding (FINALLY) an obvious and powerful tool for light forces in space---flanking, which is a fairly limited tactic at present.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I have found Push and Pull drives extremely useful in combat. They can make a ship in the 50K block range quite agile in acceleration and maneuvering. (Braking and Kiting too)

Reaction score
    Really? I've tested. With a reasonable amount of blocks, an empty, 140-meter long Republic Frigate couldn't get above about a 5 m/s/s acceleration, which is unacceptably useless. Far better to just have the extra thrusters which give all-around mobility.

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    This is likely another case of "the default block-values are useless garbage" like with Warheads.

Was Lukwan doing his testing on a server with modded values, or, *equally possible*, is his Idea of "reasonable" a far, far higher percentage of ship's mass than your or mine?

Heck, I still think Jump-Drive modules want far too much of the ship's Mass, given that Jump-drive modules barely have any mass, in comparison to even "standard" armor.
    Now, if they were wanting, say, that same default .05% of the ship's *Volume*, that'd be a much better value.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    All i have to say about this is that it sounds awesome and i really want it.....standby to execute the Picard Maneuver!

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Couldn't help but think of the Picard maneuver
    [DOUBLEPOST=1466035710,1466035537][/DOUBLEPOST]Maybe with experienced crew this could be a possibility

Reactions: Dire Venom

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Couldn't help but think of the Picard maneuver
    [DOUBLEPOST=1466035710,1466035537][/DOUBLEPOST]Maybe with experienced crew this could be a possibility
    We would also need basic relativistic physics simulation in the game...which is real fun to code (heavy sarcasm detected)

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Recode the whole game so we can have the Picard maneuver sounds legitimate

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    could probably also simulate it by cloning the ship your in when you jump, then erase it after a few seconds