Allow Decorative blocks to be slabbed

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    A simple suggestion. Please allow decorative blocks like Decorative Computers, metal mesh, grills, etc, to be slabbed. This would open up more interior design options, like thin wall-mounted computer panels that would not take up as much space as a full block one would, or thinner mesh/grill railings. Also display blocks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    From kupu's thread, about 3 months ago.

Yea. This has been a very common bit of feedback. I'll try my best to break down how they are placed in game and the reasons we are not yet able to make any block a slab for visual reasons.
    The slab is a full block, but squashed. This means the textures on the side of the block are still a full square, then squashed to 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8th of the size.
    With Cargo blocks we purposely designed textures to counter act this squashing effect. It works great, but remember that cargo blocks don't rotate.
    When a block is rotated in Starmade, the textures do not always stick to the same face, so the "squashed" textures will flip onto the un-squashed face, making everything look terrible.

Why don't you just let the slab squash the texture for mesh / grill / scaffolding?

I considered it, for sure. But it's not pretty and i'd really like to provide these options when rotational problems are fixed and looking correct.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    They're working on it.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    a bit of a necro-posting, but my suggestion is quite similiar:

Make planetary slab blocks

I'm talking about these blocks right here:

I personally use many of them as decorative elements on my ships and having those blocks as slabs (especially stuff like wood, ice and the crystals) would come in really handy.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well simple matter is I'm sure we can sum it up with "Slab/wedge/tetra/etc all the things!".