All this Space?

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wouldn't you need to turn your engine room into, essentially, a hangar in order to fly the power tank into it? Otherwise how do you get it inside to dock it?
    Yes. However, I've found that adding power tanks to your ship is a really satisfying experience. It feels like you're doing actual ship things.

Reaction score
    Yes. However, I've found that adding power tanks to your ship is a really satisfying experience. It feels like you're doing actual ship things.
    Well, in real life things like the reactors are built into the ship the same way they are in starmade, when it's under construction. Once the ship is built they do not remove those reactors. The only time they'll ever remove them or change them is in drydock and that entails a massive overhaul where they basically rip the ship apart and put it back together. So in starmade terms you'd have to dock the reactor mid-construction and then never touch it, and if you did ever need to touch it you'd have to go into build mode, make a huge sized brush and delete a ton of blocks to rip it back out.

I don't really see the benefit of that when I can design the same looking reactor built right into my ship itself. What can you do with a docked reactor that you can't with a normal in-ship one?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    may i ask you what blueprint software you are using to make these? i want to plan a big ship but i cant seem to find a blueprint maker that works...
    That was just an image I got online. It was probably designed by someone else. But now that you've brought it up I want to make my own blueprints...

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well, in real life things like the reactors are built into the ship the same way they are in starmade, when it's under construction. Once the ship is built they do not remove those reactors. The only time they'll ever remove them or change them is in drydock and that entails a massive overhaul where they basically rip the ship apart and put it back together. So in starmade terms you'd have to dock the reactor mid-construction and then never touch it, and if you did ever need to touch it you'd have to go into build mode, make a huge sized brush and delete a ton of blocks to rip it back out.

I don't really see the benefit of that when I can design the same looking reactor built right into my ship itself. What can you do with a docked reactor that you can't with a normal in-ship one?
    It provides an extra burst of power instead of a continuous stream. Also, it looks cool.

Reaction score
    It provides an extra burst of power instead of a continuous stream. Also, it looks cool.
    Yeah but wouldn't it be the same amount of power whether it's a docked ship or not? I mean last I checked a power block gives off the same amount of power regardless of what size ship it's on. And how does it look cool? You can achieve literally the exact same appearance without using actual docked ships.

I am just completely confused as to why you would ever have a docked reactor, I'm just not seeing any upsides.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yeah but wouldn't it be the same amount of power whether it's a docked ship or not? I mean last I checked a power block gives off the same amount of power regardless of what size ship it's on. And how does it look cool? You can achieve literally the exact same appearance without using actual docked ships.

I am just completely confused as to why you would ever have a docked reactor, I'm just not seeing any upsides.
    It's a separate docked ship, so it has it's own power softcap. You can use it to bypass the ~1.2mil e/s regen softcap.

Reaction score
    It's a separate docked ship, so it has it's own power softcap. You can use it to bypass the ~1.2mil e/s regen softcap.
    Oh, they add caps to that? I see. I may include docked reactors if that's the case as given the size of my ship I imagine I could hit 1.2m regen, and it's be exceptionally easy to dock and undock reactors given where I have my engineering.

Reaction score
    On all of this, docked reactors are something I'm still working on myself. Efficiency wise... they're not bad but without being able to trip them from the core of the main ship it's rather bothersome. I really wish power drain beams still worked that way I could dock them and use them as burst support during heavy combat. As for space, I've just started the wire frame for the hull between several other builds and a rebuild of the Carnival. Everything that's being said is really giving me some good ideas.

As for how useful docked reactors are, I prefer modular shields over modular power. Once they get player anchoring down and people can move around on ships that are flying without having to deal with inertia effects then I think I'll look into really making ship that uses that to it's best effect.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd love to see a picture of a truly cavernous hold. Cargo, Shuttle storage, Yhole, etc.

I was rather happy with the somewhat cavernous shuttle bay in my "Theatrical" ship, even with the difficulties in lighting, and general boxiness of the whole thing. At approximately 75x25x75 including the runway with massive hanger doors, it truly felt big to me.