All this Space?

Reaction score
    After laying out the hull design on paper for my largest build to date I find that I'm at a loss as to what I'm going to do with much of the internal space. The systems are going to take up a lot of it and a bit of what I have planned for the interior but even accounting for thrust and quite a lot of power and shields I find that I just have so much space left. Using 3 block spaces, floor, ceiling, and a single block of space top and bottom of each floor, I still have 10 extra decks worth of space under the double decked bridge, then in the lower portion which is going to be something.... not sure what yet, another 17.

The main mass of the ship, encompassing the lower hull, it's based heavily off of Japanese naval vessels from WWII, it just short of 65 possible decks. Much of the rear and central full of thrusters and forward additional systems. I have quite a bit of the docking bays planned out and they're massive.

Here is a list of what I intend to act as the interior:
    Main Bridge
    2x Sub Bridges
    Central Fleet Command
    Battle Command
    Medbay
    Mess Hall
    Rec Rooms
    Gym
    Domed Park​
    Engineering
    Crew Quarters 10x 40+ Bunk Rooms
    Offices Quarters 30x Single Bed Rooms

I'm at a loss after that. I just have no idea what else I would need since I don't really RP that much but I need a reason to actually work on an interior since I mostly don't care about them at all.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Build those structures first then see what you might need after that. Lot's of people build proportionally small interiors for large ships, (even those that say they do). You will probably want to adjust the stats after you've added an interior and might suck up some of the extra space you have left.

Reaction score
    Build those structures first then see what you might need after that. Lot's of people build proportionally small interiors for large ships, (even those that say they do). You will probably want to adjust the stats after you've added an interior and might suck up some of the extra space you have left.
    This will be the first ship I've ever built with the interior laid out first. So that might be a good idea. I'm not used to having to fit systems into a built ship. Thanks, now it's just a matter of finishing the wire frame. I laid down my main cross beams from the core room and just realized how big it will actually big. This is looking like months of building.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    This will be the first ship I've ever built with the interior laid out first. So that might be a good idea. I'm not used to having to fit systems into a built ship. Thanks, now it's just a matter of finishing the wire frame. I laid down my main cross beams from the core room and just realized how big it will actually big. This is looking like months of building.
    How big are the dimensions? I am sure people could give you comparable stats if we got the size of your ship. Take into account they will likely have small interior space if they give you comparisons.

Reaction score
    How big are the dimensions? I am sure people could give you comparable stats if we got the size of your ship. Take into account they will likely have small interior space if they give you comparisons.
    Box dimensions:
    L: 2000
    W: 675
    H: 670

I need to work out an estimated volume for the ship but it's late so I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Japanese warships, huh?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Holy crap. 2 kilometers is big. No wonder you are running out of ideas. Well here is what I suggest. You can take your ideas further. But that really depends on how much you want to dedicate to interior / rp pruposes. I suggest looking at cross sections of ships. The might have things you did not think of. I am a big EVE builder so I will share a few.

These are just battleships. They may not have systems that we can use and a lot of those features might just be modules in starmade. I think you should try and build the actual structure of the ship. Make an engine area with big looming engine parts in the room. Get creative I suppose. Jeffries tubes, data analysis, communications, ammo storage, main hallways. Your ship is actually about twice as long as the ships here so you have even more room to mess with this stuff.

Reaction score
    Holy crap. 2 kilometers is big. No wonder you are running out of ideas. Well here is what I suggest. You can take your ideas further. But that really depends on how much you want to dedicate to interior / rp pruposes. I suggest looking at cross sections of ships. The might have things you did not think of. I am a big EVE builder so I will share a few.

These are just battleships. They may not have systems that we can use and a lot of those features might just be modules in starmade. I think you should try and build the actual structure of the ship. Make an engine area with big looming engine parts in the room. Get creative I suppose. Jeffries tubes, data analysis, communications, ammo storage, main hallways. Your ship is actually about twice as long as the ships here so you have even more room to mess with this stuff.
    I looked through what those listed and it did give me some ideas...

Showers... (cause I forgot them)
    Water Treatment (Not seen this used on any other ship)
    Oxygen recyclers (again not seen before)

Other then that, I'll have to see how much room I have left after the basic systems are in place. Once the basic power supply is in place I have to put in the massive beam array and hope it doesn't crash the game. Oh well. Thanks for the tips. To early in the morning to think anymore.

Reaction score
    Space between the walls...

Think about allowing that extra space to be hidden between the internal room and external ship hull.

You can also hide logic modules in that space. Some of the new space stations have good examples of this. Just because you have 500 blocks for a ship reactor doe not mean your reactor room should only be 500 blocks in size... huge ship, HUGE reactor!

-Runeseer

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    All this space and yo booty still takes up none

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    A ship that big would benefit greatly from a grav-tube system. What is the main function of this ship?

Reaction score
    A ship that big would benefit greatly from a grav-tube system. What is the main function of this ship?
    It's a Fleet Command Warship. Designed to follow the main force into combat and bring to bear massive Homing Missile, Nuke, and Anti-Shield Beam Arrays onto anything it can find. Amazingly enough it will have heatseeker arrays for single player but for the most part it's built to work as a rear support weapons platform and strategic planning system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's a Fleet Command Warship. Designed to follow the main force into combat and bring to bear massive Homing Missile, Nuke, and Anti-Shield Beam Arrays onto anything it can find. Amazingly enough it will have heatseeker arrays for single player but for the most part it's built to work as a rear support weapons platform and strategic planning system.
    Homing/heatseeker missiles will lock on to allies and turrets on your ship, and shield drain beams are kinda bad. I would recommend a beam/ion effect combo for an anti-shield system, and lock-on missiles (Missiles with a beam support)

As for all that empty space, I would say more shields and rechargers so you dont go down too fast.

Reaction score
    I'm running into similar problems with my ship, it's a fair bit smaller than yours as it's only 931m L, 211m T, and 501m W.

I've found that a big problem is real life ships have a lot of repetition. I mean they'd have to have sleeping quarters for all their crew, that translates into a lot of pretty boring rooms in starmade. They need a lot of storage facilities spread across the room to hold everything from cleaning supplies to fire fighting equipment. This translates into a bunch of small useless closets in starmade. They need places to store all the ammo they have, and that takes up a lot of space. I mean a battleship can have hundreds of shells for it's main guns, each sell being half the size of a person, and that's excluding all the ammo for all it's other weapon systems. This translates into more empty rooms.

Now I say "empty rooms" and whatnot but you can still add that stuff. We obviously don't have big battleship shells but that doesn't mean you can't stack a block and give it a pointed tip and then fill a room with those mounted on racks or something. Make it seem like you actually do hold physical ammo.

For me I used a list of what real life ships have as well as blueprints coupled with more fanciful ideas. My ship is going to take on a more of a carrier role so there's a lot of hangar space spread throughout the ship which helps take up space. But I also have crew quarters slated for many decks, I have two mess halls as expecting crewmen to spend half an hour running to the mess hall is a bit lame. To accompany those mess halls they each have a galley and freezer/storage space for the food they eat. I plan to have a bakery on board (apparently the Missouri had one) as well as a factory, barber, movie theater, a store for general goods (the barber and store are again from the missouri) I have armories spread throughout my ship to house small-arms. I have segregated quarters for a marine detachment with a training room and firing range. I have briefing rooms for my marines and pilots for their operations. I have science facilities to do sciency things. I have a post office, a dentist, counselor rooms, all to take care of the crew's general needs. I have quarters, offices, and mess halls for different groups, such as an officer's country for my officers and an office for my master at arms and all that good stuff. I have three captain's quarters (on the Missouri the captain had three quarters which he would lend to VIPs that sailed with them) as well as a captain's gig (private little boat, or shuttle in this case) as well as a shuttle bay to get around. I have two massive engineering sections, repair facilities for my drons/fighters/shuttles.

Basically, it's a big ship and as such it can do pretty much everything because I have space for it. But don't feel like you need to fill up every square inch with useable space. Real life warships have very little space as they only have what they need, everything else is used for ship systems and weapons. Also make sure to leave room between all your walls to fill with whatever, imbedded lights, logic, or just more power or shields or whatever.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Internally docked power tanks always make for sexy engine rooms.

Reaction score
    Internally docked power tanks always make for sexy engine rooms.
    Wouldn't you need to turn your engine room into, essentially, a hangar in order to fly the power tank into it? Otherwise how do you get it inside to dock it?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    DRONE HANGARS.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score

may i ask you what blueprint software you are using to make these? i want to plan a big ship but i cant seem to find a blueprint maker that works...