AI_Accuracy config option doesn't seem to work.

Reaction score
    So the prebuild 0.093975 included a server.cfg option to modify the accuracy of AI. Since the patch that fixed projectiles across sectors, the AI has been laser beam accurate. It's extremely noticeable when you use turrets.

The option looks like this: "AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 10 //how accurate the AI aims (the higher the value the more accurate vs distance. 10 = about 99% accuracy at 10m)"

So I don't like the AI being laser accurate, I shutdown the server and changed the value to 5, and started it up again. I didn't notice a difference at all. I did this again and changed it to 1, and still no difference. Finally I changed it to a float point value of 0.1, I don't know if it will recognize float values but regardless, there was no change.

Does anyone know how this works? Or is it bugged maybe? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

EDIT: Tried actually increasing the value as well, to 50. Again, I didn't notice a change at all. The AI is laser accurate no matter what value I use here it seems. I haven't tried going into an extreme number like 1000 or anything, but I'm riding on the hope that somebody here might actually educate me on how to use it properly.

EDIT2: As of build 0.09398 this bug is still here. AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY does not do anything. The default value is 10, which is pretty much laser accurate. I have changed the values to 1, 0, -1, 500, and 5000. The accuracy of the AI does not change regardless of what value I change it to.

Since everyone's game is updated, I'd love for some of you to test this for yourselves, or educate me on how to use this properly. Though I'm fairly certain that this config option just isn't functioning properly.

Reaction score
    I didn\'t check yet how it works, but it does seem like 1000 isn\'t anything extreme yet.

Reaction score
    Yeah I\'m not sure if it is functioning properly. I even tried puting 0 as a value and there was no change.

As far as extremes, I gave 5000 a try, still no noticeable change. I even tried using -1 to see if negative integers might do something, but still no change.

Hopefully it gets fixed with the next build rolls out, or I learn that it\'s a user error and how to use it correctly lol.

Reaction score
    Since most people have updated their servers and clients, most people have this option available to them so I\'m bumping this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The server I play on \"Augmented Reset\" seems to be experiencing this as well and I doubt that this is is intentional edit. Until the issue is solved, I would suggest using turrets liberally.

I\'m only posting this more to let you know that you aren\'t alone in this issue.

Reaction score
    It\'s good to know I\'m not the only one having this problem, so it\'s probably not a user error then.

By the way, if you play singleplayer, that\'s essentially your own server. You can test the server.cfg options in your own singleplayer server. I would urge people to try that with the AI accuracy config option and come back to this thread with their results.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yep, no changes here too.

and btw:

how accurate the AI aims (the higher the value the more accurate vs distance. 10 = about 99% accuracy at 10m)

if you set the value to 1 = 99% accuracy at 1m? So, if 10000=99% accuracy at 10000m?

Reaction score
    Alright so it must not be working as intended.

If this config option actually does anything right now, then I could only conclude that the accuracy degredation over range is scaling improperly. If the value that you can change actually determines how many meters the AI is 100% accurate for, then this would apply. To go into more detail, if you set the value at 1, then I assume that means that the AI is 99% accurate at 1m. The problem is after 1m, the accuracy does not degrade enough vs distance.

Or I\'m completely wrong and am not even close. That\'s just my hypothesis.

Personally, I\'d like the config option to be the AI Accuracy, period. If I could have both configs that would be even better. An ACCURACY_VS_DISTANCE like we have now, an an ACCURACY_IN_PERCENT. So if I decided to, I could make it 50% at 10m, or something like that.

Anyway, hopefully this little bug gets nipped.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, the problem could be that, the accuracy degredation not going down as intended.

We need a word from schema on that!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I\'ve finally had a chance to test this and I don\'t think it works at all either. Right now as it stands if you fight and identical ship to yourself you will loose every time because the AI is a core drill.

Reaction score
    So far it seems that this config option isn\'t functioning properly for anyone.

Hopefully this matter is resolved soon.

But I\'d also like there to be an ACCURACY_IN_PERCENT config too. So instead of making it so the AI is 99% accurate at X meters, I could make it Y% Accurate at X Meters.

Provided they both work properly, that would just allow us to fine tune the accuracy at bit more.

Reaction score
    This issue is still present in the most recent update.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    AI accuracy needs to be fixed... and for Missiles!

AI will use missiles, but they fire in random directions. BB missiles will track toward the target when they fire, but they have a difficult time locking on at anything above point blank range.

Reaction score
    This bug has been around ever since the introduction of the config option in September, and is still not fixed.

I will continue to post about it every so often until it is fixed. Just keeping the report live and accurate.

Reaction score
    It has definitely been broken for a long time, the setting doesn\'t affect a thing atm and I\'m still waiting for a fix as well.