AI with multiple weapon types

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Just wondering if anyone has details on how AI behaves when outfitted with multiple weapon types.

I was thinking on designing an AI ship with both CC (for constant suppression) and MB for Alpha Damage. I was wondering how the AI might act if I had both those systems. For example what range would it chose? The longest range weapon? Shortest? Random? If the cannons were out of range would it keep firing them?

I ask because depending on the choices the AI makes with various weapons equipped will change how I need to design them. Any info on the subject of multi weapon AI would be helpful.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Weapon with longest range determines engagement range.
    Drone attempts to fire all weapons that have enough range to hit its current target.
    Drone may not attempt to close in to use shorter range weapons, depends on what side of the bed it woke up on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    thanks for the info. Should prove very helpful in my designing of AI ships.

Reaction score
    More often than not they'll drift to their max engagement range, then probably end up drifting out of range.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Dock longer range weapons or put them in turrets and have the shorter ranged weapons on the main entity.

Reactions: Lukwan

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I have used multiple weapons on turrets. The turret generally engaged with all weapons even when the shorter range ones were unable to hit. Turrets engage as soon as any of their weapon are in range. My turrets also continue to fire harmlessly at my own hull if it is between turret and target. Since this wastes energy I try to keep the field of fire limited and use placements that give clear, unobstructed sight lines. This is often my primary design consideration.

Mixing a nibbler-cannon with your alpha damage is a good idea. A single HP of shields can stop a single alpha-strike...better to get those on hull and systems.