Recognized AI Fleets and RTS elements

Reaction score
    So it has been announced that AI Fleets will be available soon, but we will need a method of controlling them outside of your own ship.

I propose a new station-only block, the Battle Computer. Entering this computer will bring up a galaxy map with a difference. Firstly this map will be a smaller scale, with sectors rendered with borders much like systems are in the normal map. But it will also show all ships in the vicinity, and colour-code them in a similar way to the systems in the galaxy map, for easy identification.

You can then left-click to select ships, discovered stations and planets, and view their statistics (only available for friendly ships and scanned enemies) and if they're your faction and have an AI module onboard (and not currently piloted), you can issue them orders much like in space RTS games (say, right-click to move/attack, left to select/deselect). The interface would also allow to activate and deactivate computers such as cloakers, jammers, scanners and ion, pierce and punch defensive effects, and automatically charge and activate jump drives if the destination sector is more than two sectors away. From here it opens the door to adding more complex commands, like setting a group of ships to guard something, or patrol a system, to create a transport convoy to ferry materials from one station to another, scouting parties to scan nearby systems, or even sending AI miners to asteroid sectors, to return with ores. The possibilities are endless for this.

Perhaps even, on selecting a station with a shipyard and factories attached, you could issue the station orders to produce a set number of whatever ships are loaded into the shipyard and automatically set them to AI, effectively acting as the RTS vehicle factories and allowing even more automation. And perhaps you could have a station with Capsule Refineries onboard, and set that station as a cargo transfer point for mining ships, so that the miners automatically transfer mined materials into the refinery and the station automatically begins refining.

The Battle Computer on it's own would have a default range of one system. Linking a Scanner Computer with Scanner Antennae linked to it would increase it's range up to a point. (perhaps 9x9x9 systems around the station?) This would mean factions would need to build heavily defended outposts to continue to expand the range that they can control their AI 'units' with.

There should also be a ship counterpart, with more limited functionality and lower maximum range to prevent abuse, and the ship block should have the additional commands 'form up' (to set all friendly AI ships in range to follow and guard the player ship) and 'dock/redock' (for droneships and carriers; may need additional coding and work).

Let me know what you think below.

(EDIT: Added a few more thoughts, clarified usage of defensive effects and jump drives, spaced out paragraphs a bit more for easier reading.)

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm sounds interesting. Maybe add modules to it for increasing or decreasing the strength it has and it's range. Also why not let the player activate Player Only things like the Cloaker, Jammer, Jump Drive, Scanner by remote on AI controlled ships? Would lead to some interesting things happening. Say you select a fleet of ships and tell them to charge their jump drives, than you select coords for them to jump to once they are fully charged. Also Cloakers and Jammers being able to be activated from the computer would allow the player to cloak and jam whole fleets until they were revealed by something. In the case of the scanners they would add enemy and other scanned object data to the battle computer from the scanning ships. :)

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    So it has been announced that AI Fleets will be available soon, but we will need a method of controlling them outside of your own ship.

I propose a new station-only block, the Battle Computer. Entering this computer will bring up a galaxy map with a difference. Firstly this map will be a smaller scale, with sectors rendered with borders much like systems are in the normal map. But it will also show all ships in the vicinity, and colour-code them in a similar way to the systems in the galaxy map, for easy identification.
    You can then left-click to select ships, discovered stations and planets, and view their statistics (only available for friendly ships and scanned enemies) and if they're your faction and have an AI module onboard (and not currently piloted), you can issue them orders much like in space RTS games (say, right-click to move/attack, left to deselect). From here it opens the door to adding more complex commands, like setting a group of ships to guard something, or patrol a system, to create a transport convoy to ferry materials from one station to another, scouting parties to scan nearby systems, or even sending AI miners to asteroid sectors, to return with ores. The possibilities are endless for this.
    There should also be a ship counterpart, with more limited functionality to prevent abuse, and the ship block should have the additional commands 'form up' (to set all friendly AI ships in range to follow and guard the player ship) and 'dock/redock' (for droneships and carriers; may need additional coding and work).

Let me know what you think below.
    I really like this idea for AI ships. Seems pretty straight forward.

Reaction score
    Maybe add modules to it for increasing or decreasing the strength it has and it's range.
    Yes, perhaps the existing Scanner Computer and Scanner Antennae (which can be placed on stations yet don't seem to work) can be utilized for this purpose. I would say a hard cap on 9x9x9 systems around the station with Battle Computer, would be reasonable, as it encourages factions to field more than one station AND heavily defend their outposts or they lose control of the AI ships in it's range. (P.S., this can potentially partially solve the problem of factions using only one station, the homebase, and no others)

why not let the player activate Player Only things like the Cloaker, Jammer, Jump Drive, Scanner by remote on AI controlled ships? Would lead to some interesting things happening.
    Absolutely. That was part of the original idea but I didn't make it very clear in the OP. I'm just going to edit it now to add it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I have to say, I freaking love this idea. Maybe though instead of only controlling a certain area around the station other control stations will serve as relays as long as they are within range. If a relay station is destroyed you could lose control over that entire section of space, so you have to protect them well.

Reaction score
    Maybe though instead of only controlling a certain area around the station other control stations will serve as relays as long as they are within range. If a relay station is destroyed you could lose control over that entire section of space, so you have to protect them well.
    Yep, that was the idea. I added that bit in to try and solve the problem of factions simply camping at their homebase instead of going out and expanding their influence with additional stations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yep, that was the idea. I added that bit in to try and solve the problem of factions simply camping at their homebase instead of going out and expanding their influence with additional stations.
    Combine that with doughnuts idea for the faction config for EE 2.0 and it makes a prime environment for conflicts to erupt. (His idea is that you get points from controlling territory and lose points for members) That would mean there would be reason to expand, and thus reason to protect and create other stations.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    in another thread I suggested to the op about relay stations. this could be another use coupled with event signals given off by fleets.

the RC as im calling it to control the fleets, would have its range extended by these relay stations.

I REALLY LIKE THIS. LIKE OMG SLIGHTLY EXCITED IF THIS GETS IMPLIMENTED LIKE THIS, AND ALSO EVENT SIGNALS BECAUSE THEY COULD OPERATE WITHT HE SAME METHODS USING MORE STATIONS TO INCREASE TERRETORY AND SH*T

I don't know if you can tell, but I am all for this

+1

Reactions: The Strategist
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sounds like a pretty good idea! I do have one thing to add, an idea for Progression in the system:

If you've played the X series (not Rebirth, but Albion Prelude/TC) there are different levels of AI software upgrades that give more commands. How about a Command Center Computer (for stations) that automatically finds AI Computers (on ships) within a large range (but limited). Each computer has slots for upgrades that is like installing hard drives into it.

These hard drives would be like the X series software upgrades: like the Flight Command Software Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 and each one unlocks more commands as they're replaced with more advanced versions of the hard drives.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Sounds like a pretty good idea! I do have one thing to add, an idea for Progression in the system:

If you've played the X series (not Reborn, but Albion Prelude/TC) there are different levels of AI software upgrades that give more commands. How about a Command Center Computer (for stations) that automatically finds AI Computers (on ships) within a large range (but limited). Each computer has slots for upgrades that is like installing hard drives into it.

These hard drives would be like the X series software upgrades: like the Flight Command Software Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 and each one unlocks more commands as they're replaced with more advanced versions of the hard drives.
    Great Idea. I always loved the way the X series set up ship upgrades. I'm totally for this.

PS: too bad the old x games didn't have any multiplayer. I wanted multiplayer sooo bad, but they did a terrible job with Rebirth in my opinion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Great Idea. I always loved the way the X series set up ship upgrades. I'm totally for this.

PS: too bad the old x games didn't have any multiplayer. I wanted multiplayer sooo bad, but they did a terrible job with Rebirth in my opinion.
    Yea I meant "not Rebirth," just changed it lol. A lot of the modders from X-3 AP/TC won't even touch Rebirth, they said it's too limited and buggy to do anything fun with.

I'm thinking this system should have a limited range of operation so that NPC crews will be required for long range operations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yea I meant "not Rebirth," just changed it lol. A lot of the modders from X-3 AP/TC won't even touch Rebirth, they said it's too limited and buggy to do anything fun with.

I'm thinking this system should have a limited range of operation so that NPC crews will be required for long range operations.
    Actually why not just the ability to give orders and NPC crew to carry it out?

Bobby AIs would be shorter range controllable by ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Actually why not just the ability to give orders and NPC crew to carry it out?

Bobby AIs would be shorter range controllable by ships.
    The first line of my first post says - "Sounds like a pretty good idea! I do have one thing to add, an idea for Progression in the system:" Please read the posts!

That's all I wanted to add in. As for NPCs you could allow more complex commands as they "level up" but who knows how the experience and leveling system will be at this point.

Bobby AI module could just have slots added for hard drives to be installed. It's just an idea to give a sense of Progression as you craft more complex systems to allow more complex commands.

Reaction score
    Sounds good, except for the "station-only block". It's way cooler to be in a super armored big ship while commanding the AI ships around your zone with that interface. Also, what would prevent it to work when placed on any ship if its only task is to receive info and send commands?
    Just make a big antenna or something!

Anyway, you can baypass the "station-only" limitation by creating a temporal station inside your ship, so while your ship stays in place, you can use the station blocks from inside the ship (sometimes I do this with factories because of the nonsense station-only thing).

Reaction score
    At some point we're getting "Capital Ships" which will have (probably limited) station functionality. As far as I know they haven't worked out the specifics yet though.

Reaction score
    If you've played the X series (not Rebirth, but Albion Prelude/TC) there are different levels of AI software upgrades that give more commands. How about a Command Center Computer (for stations) that automatically finds AI Computers (on ships) within a large range (but limited). Each computer has slots for upgrades that is like installing hard drives into it.
    I'm not sure about this, it only makes the system harder, less intuitive and less accessible. My idea was for an RTS interface, and I've never seen any RTS game where you have to upgrade the interface itself to issue different commands.

At some point we're getting "Capital Ships" which will have (probably limited) station functionality. As far as I know they haven't worked out the specifics yet though.
    Yes. They'd be a prime candidate for ship-based Battle Computers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not sure about this, it only makes the system harder, less intuitive and less accessible. My idea was for an RTS interface, and I've never seen any RTS game where you have to upgrade the interface itself to issue different commands.

Yes. They'd be a prime candidate for ship-based Battle Computers.

It isn't an upgrade to the interface though. It's an upgrade to the AI on the ships, like how From the Depths does it (which is an RTS hybrid game where you have to use different types of AI Cards on the ships to be able to issue more commands like Patrol)

Capital Ships should of course also be able to use the Battle Computers (since they'll essentially be mobile stations/motherships), but I don't think they should be able to be put on just any ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    It isn't an upgrade to the interface though. It's an upgrade to the AI on the ships, like how From the Depths does it (which is an RTS hybrid game where you have to use different types of AI Cards on the ships to be able to issue more commands like Patrol)

Capital Ships should of course also be able to use the Battle Computers (since they'll essentially be mobile stations/motherships), but I don't think they should be able to be put on just any ship.
    Probably better would be the longer an NPC mans a gun, the more accurate it becomes, or other bonuses like that. Doctors heal faster, pilots get a turn bonus, engineers boost some systems a bit, etc.
    All the commands would be there, just the NPCs would get better at carrying them out.