AI Fleet Formations/Control

How should custom formations be programed? If any other ideas come up pm me and i will try to add.

• Docking Modules Linked to module and saved only to the ship it is saved from

• Mirrored locations of controlled ships saved only as long as the the ships are connected as saved

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    I understand that there has been speculation on the implementation of AI Fleet and control into the game. My input into the topic is to use an unused Bobby-AI Module in a control ship, station or planet. Once placed, link the ships in the fleet in a similar way to linking stargates to each other, which would be by using the marker laser to link the ships to the controlling module. Afterwards, the player can control the fleet from the controlling ship by opening the AI GUI while piloting the ship or pressing R on the AI block and select either a pre-programed or custom programed formation in the fleet section of the GUI and the ships will follow the formation. To control a fleet from a station or planet, the player opens up the AI module and they have two options:
    1.) Orbit
    2.) Send to location
    Sending to location will open the galaxy map and the player will select the sector or structure the fleet will go to (keep in mind they can only go the games speed limit.) After the reach their designated sector, or complete their mission of attacking a station, they will return to the commanding station/planet (and if they already were in an orbit around the station/planet before leaving, they will return to their orbit when they return (if they return.))

Also, there should be an option to return to the module last docked to.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420339114,1420338914][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and poll ideas should be using what is already in the game (meaning don't add extra blocks!)

Reactions: Darkzellz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea of reusing the bobby AI, however I suggest that it be linked to docking modules to control the ships that have been docked there. Would also apply that squadron to chain docking as well.

As for squadron control (local control of ships), we could have shapes that the squadron will form into around either the mothership or a selected ship (either friendly or not) and using a distance parameter we could get a pretty good amount of control. (So sphere, cylinder wall, plate (both ahead and behind the ship), cone, etc. Could probably be defined in an external file so we could add more) EDIT: ALso, use the marker beam to link other ship's AI to the AI module on the mothership to add it to the squadron if you can't dock it.

As for fleets, having an AI module on a station or planet sounds fine. I'm not sure letting AIs attack stations all on their own is a good idea, since it means players don't need to risk faction points. As for moving fleets around, that's fine. Not sure orbiting is needed as a function.
    As for defining the ships in a fleet though, My thought is this: Marker beam an AI module on the fleet to an AI module on a station/planet. That creates a new fleet and defines that ship as a member of it, as well as all docked ships on it. Then marker beam the AI modules on the other ships to an AI module of a ship already in the fleet to add the rest of the ships.

You'd be able to control all fleets from any station/planetary AI module and move them around, but there wouldn't be any combat unless they were loaded in.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DarkLordZargon

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the idea of reusing the bobby AI, however I suggest that it be linked to docking modules to control the ships that have been docked there. Would also apply that squadron to chain docking as well.

As for squadron control (local control of ships), we could have shapes that the squadron will form into around either the mothership or a selected ship (either friendly or not) and using a distance parameter we could get a pretty good amount of control. (So sphere, cylinder wall, plate (both ahead and behind the ship), cone, etc. Could probably be defined in an external file so we could add more) EDIT: ALso, use the marker beam to link other ship's AI to the AI module on the mothership to add it to the squadron if you can't dock it.

As for fleets, having an AI module on a station or planet sounds fine. I'm not sure letting AIs attack stations all on their own is a good idea, since it means players don't need to risk faction points. As for moving fleets around, that's fine. Not sure orbiting is needed as a function.
    As for defining the ships in a fleet though, My thought is this: Marker beam an AI module on the fleet to an AI module on a station/planet. That creates a new fleet and defines that ship as a member of it, as well as all docked ships on it. Then marker beam the AI modules on the other ships to an AI module of a ship already in the fleet to add the rest of the ships.

You'd be able to control all fleets from any station/planetary AI module and move them around, but there wouldn't be any combat unless they were loaded in.
    To me, it seems a little odd to be able to command ships to fly somewhere, but then not be able to command them to fight unless a player is there. All I can think is how immersion-breaking this would be.

What I would like to see is the ability to control AIs in formation around a station or planet up to a certain distance. Beyond a certain radius (maybe defined by a control antenna of sorts) AIs would continue to function, but could not be commanded by the mothership. You could still send out a simple "come home" signal, however. Assume that beyond a certain radius, an AI must act on its own due to high-latency signals from the mothership. This will maintain both believable immersion and reasonable balance.

I would ALSO like to see a faction-based fleet command system linked to the galaxy map. This could be used to command specific vessels to different points in the galaxy, showing up as a "command waypoint" on a pilot's display. This would be good in and out of combat for things such as commanding a task force to a specific sector to intercept moving enemy ships or commanding several different scouts to check different sectors for blue asteroids. This might be a topic for another thread though as it seems to be only half related to the OP.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would ALSO like to see a faction-based fleet command system linked to the galaxy map.
    I was assuming that the entire fleet control stuff would be done through the galaxy map. Anyway, the reason I don't like the idea of just being able to send in a fleet to my enemy's location is because it's cheap. You can send in your ships and not have to worry about losing FP or credits or needing any combat skill at all. And yes, it would be immersion breaking. But right now I don't have a reasonable solution to it. Perhaps you can't command your ships to go into enemy territory.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If fleets could only be sent to somewhere you have own stations with fleet-control modules around... imagine the value of stations!

EDIT: Own territory should always be allowed since it is not cheap.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If fleets could only be sent to somewhere you have own stations with fleet-control modules around... imagine the value of stations!

EDIT: Own territory should always be allowed since it is not cheap.
    Hmmm...... I'm liking that idea. Though I do think that you should be able to send a fleet to another player who is logged on.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I am not completely against this, just think it could be very easy for a 1kkkkkk shield titan to kill one newbie base after another without taking the attacking player any precious time for each fleet but only once.

My concerns are just about it being a tool of complete supremacy over non-24/7 players.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Woops, my bad, I forgot to put something in there. <_< Another player IN YOUR FACTION while they are logged in. Like, if they get caught by a huge pirate ambush and have to start running, they can do that. Or you have a scout running around while cloaked/jammed and then when they find an enemy, have the fleet jump in to their location (AI fleets should be able to use jump drives if all of them have a jump drive, IMHO)

But there isn't a mechanic to stop someone from just running around in a huge titan anyway, and when the mechanic for stopping that is introduced it'll probably also restrict AI ships as well.

Reaction score
    I was assuming that the entire fleet control stuff would be done through the galaxy map. Anyway, the reason I don't like the idea of just being able to send in a fleet to my enemy's location is because it's cheap. You can send in your ships and not have to worry about losing FP or credits or needing any combat skill at all. And yes, it would be immersion breaking. But right now I don't have a reasonable solution to it. Perhaps you can't command your ships to go into enemy territory.
    I wasn't intending on on attacking in (distant)neutral or enemy systems, just investigating enemy activity in friendly or current faction territory.

I am not completely against this, just think it could be very easy for a 1kkkkkk shield titan to kill one newbie base after another without taking the attacking player any precious time for each fleet but only once.

My concerns are just about it being a tool of complete supremacy over non-24/7 players.
    And most likely, people(other than admins) won't typically be running around in titans due to the costs applied in the current updates. Plus, if someone is running around in a titan then the fleet of drones most disappear from the map(if they are shown in the map when deployed), giving time for either a friendly faction to come assist or for the station to evacuate all resources.
    And I would have to say that due to the faction points system, that if the player is sending from home base with there is a substantial amount of fac points when they log off then the titan cannot harm their HQ.

I would imagine that if these ideas do end up implemented, then there would be FP costs scaled somehow by schema or someone else. And I would also bet that there would also be a limit on size of ships controlled so that titans could not be controlled by AI modules.

Woops, my bad, I forgot to put something in there. <_< Another player IN YOUR FACTION while they are logged in. Like, if they get caught by a huge pirate ambush and have to start running, they can do that. Or you have a scout running around while cloaked/jammed and then when they find an enemy, have the fleet jump in to their location (AI fleets should be able to use jump drives if all of them have a jump drive, IMHO)

But there isn't a mechanic to stop someone from just running around in a huge titan anyway, and when the mechanic for stopping that is introduced it'll probably also restrict AI ships as well.
    And yes, there is a mechanic to stop people from just running around in titans: it is the blueprint cost in blocks.

Last topic, orbit would be used to keep drones/fleet close to the station when not out on a mission or in combat. The reason I am wanting this implemented is due to how much I lose track of my drones from them chasing after pirates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So orbit is, "when doing nothing return to this area" okay. gotcha.