AI Can No Longer See Ships Using a Radar Jammer

Reaction score
    It seems that AI ships can no longer shoot at ships using a radar jammer like they used to.
    http://i.imgur.com/GHcaLvN.png
    http://i.imgur.com/gNSubIm.png
    (I'm in the shuttle, using only a radar jammer)

This wouldn't normally be a problem, given the power requirements of radar jammers. However, they now need only 5 e/sec per block to work, meaning virtually any ship can use them!

This makes base defenses like drones virtually useless, as anyone can just add a radar jammer and destroy whatever they want without resistance.

Is this an intended feature? Will jamming and or cloaking be changed soon?

Reaction score
    A big up for this post.

Having asked a friend to test my station's defenses, he used a corvette using a radar jammer (no cloaking). No turrets ever answered his aggression, and as the OP stated, that would basically make it impossible to defend a station without being online.

Now, if someone comes up with a good idea on how to counter this... (already thought about minefields, but same problem for seeker mines).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It's been My experience that AI ships will engage You will using a radar jammer, but not until You are within about 1100 meters. Pirate station turrets will "see" Me at about this point, and open fire. Their shots will stray a bit. AI ships Will "see" and engage Me at the same range, with the same results; Their aim is a bit off, they usually can't get a missile lock, and You can "lose" them if You get out of their field of vision.

And I love every bit of it. It's more realistic.
    Without the jammer, AI's go back to having god-aim.

They never lose You because the simulation makes no attempt at simulating another entity trying to follow/match Your moves, and just points them at You at all times.

They get to enjoy instant-locks for tracking missiles, where a human player has to stop firing, hold Their cursor exactly on the targeting mark on the hud, and wait several agonizing seconds before lock, then fire. All while the AI targets are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Them.

This is already balanced by the amount of power needed to perma-jam. I incorporate jammers into all of My fighters now, at the cost of really having to optimize the hell out of My power system, leaving Me with less power for heavy missile systems.

@Asmael:

A few questions:

1: During Your tests, was Your friend part of a different faction that was currently at war with Your faction? AI's aren't going to open fire on someone until A: declaration of war has been made, or B: You've checked the "Treat neutral as hostile" box in Your faction tab.

2: If no declaration of war was made, and "Treat neutral as hostile" isn't checked, then I believe auto war will not be declared, and thus Your turrets will not respond, until the attacker has dropped the shields of Their target and done damage to said target's hull. Did this happen?

3: Did Your friend come within 1100 meters? If He was sniping, or simply cruising past at range, no AI is going to notice Him.

I use jammers a lot now, and if I come with 1100 meters (Roughly), I most certainly get noticed by the AIs.

BIG OLD EDIT:
    Yeah, forget half of what I said up there, something goofy's going on with AI's and radar jammers.

I wanted to do a test-flight of My newest fighter, and also test recording video in this game, and test out a new pirate ship I made, so I figured I'd TEST ALL THE THINGS at once.
    And guess what? I now have video of mob ships going derp in the head while I ran a radar jammer.

They spun around out of confusion.

They would not fire cannons or dumb-fire missiles.

They were downright sad. I felt like a crumb, and turned of the jammer. Bam! They were flying and firing normally.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You no longer need to drop someone's shields for auto war, 1 shot of a 1 block weapon is enough.

Reaction score
    It's been My experience that AI ships will engage You will using a radar jammer, but not until You are within about 1100 meters. Pirate station turrets will "see" Me at about this point, and open fire. Their shots will stray a bit. AI ships Will "see" and engage Me at the same range, with the same results; Their aim is a bit off, they usually can't get a missile lock, and You can "lose" them if You get out of their field of vision.

And I love every bit of it. It's more realistic.
    Without the jammer, AI's go back to having god-aim.

They never lose You because the simulation makes no attempt at simulating another entity trying to follow/match Your moves, and just points them at You at all times.

They get to enjoy instant-locks for tracking missiles, where a human player has to stop firing, hold Their cursor exactly on the targeting mark on the hud, and wait several agonizing seconds before lock, then fire. All while the AI targets are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Them.

This is already balanced by the amount of power needed to perma-jam. I incorporate jammers into all of My fighters now, at the cost of really having to optimize the hell out of My power system, leaving Me with less power for heavy missile systems.

@Asmael:

A few questions:

1: During Your tests, was Your friend part of a different faction that was currently at war with Your faction? AI's aren't going to open fire on someone until A: declaration of war has been made, or B: You've checked the "Treat neutral as hostile" box in Your faction tab.

2: If no declaration of war was made, and "Treat neutral as hostile" isn't checked, then I believe auto war will not be declared, and thus Your turrets will not respond, until the attacker has dropped the shields of Their target and done damage to said target's hull. Did this happen?

3: Did Your friend come within 1100 meters? If He was sniping, or simply cruising past at range, no AI is going to notice Him.

I use jammers a lot now, and if I come with 1100 meters (Roughly), I most certainly get noticed by the AIs.

BIG OLD EDIT:
    Yeah, forget half of what I said up there, something goofy's going on with AI's and radar jammers.

I wanted to do a test-flight of My newest fighter, and also test recording video in this game, and test out a new pirate ship I made, so I figured I'd TEST ALL THE THINGS at once.
    And guess what? I now have video of mob ships going derp in the head while I ran a radar jammer.

They spun around out of confusion.

They would not fire cannons or dumb-fire missiles.

They were downright sad. I felt like a crumb, and turned of the jammer. Bam! They were flying and firing normally.

To answer to what was asked :

- Neutral were treated as hostile.
    - Said friend was in out of my own faction (testing purpose, these kind of things :D), and could get VERY close to the station, like 100 meters.
    - Turrets were turned on (AI), I tested it.
    - And as soon as he turned radar jammer off... boom, turrets started shooting at him.

And the "declare war on hostile action" is a bit dumb right now, as you'll even trigger a war against your own faction if you miss a single shot, and will get shot at by your own turrets... bad experience x)

Right now I feel like radar jammer is god mode. It basically make you untouchable by AIs, and you have the iniative when engaging other players. And as said before, the energy cost is low to the point where even warships can use it without too much trouble, granting you have a decent power output.

That being said, back to start, and no idea how to protect a base without being offline.