AI accuracy needs a buff

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The newest update tremendously nerfed AI accuracy. Turrets are now pretty much useless, bases sit undefended, people can walk inside pirate stations in astronaut mode without getting hit once, as seen in this video:

The config line doesn't even seem to work, setting it to a higher value has no noticable effect. This needs to be fixed in order to actually make AI useful on both hostiles and frendlies.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Did you test that in single player?
    In this case, the AI-Difficulty setting is used.
    The server.cfg is only active in case of dedicated server startup.

- Andy

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Did you test that in single player?
    In this case, the AI-Difficulty setting is used.
    The server.cfg is only active in case of dedicated server startup.

- Andy
    In single player, on Hard AI settings, and AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY set to 10, AI can only hit a stationary target from 500 meters with a 50% chance. For testing purposes, a large hunk of shields and power (30x30x30) without thrusters to be unable to move and sustain fire for extended testing. The AI pirate I spawned, kept missing even that large (27K blocks) stationary target. You can guess the chances of hitting a moving, 800 blocks fighter. Or a core.

On dedicated multiplayer servers it's even worse since the difficulty settings do not factor in, only the line in the .cfg - I ran some tests, and to be able to hit a stationary core with 80% of shots within 1000 meters, you need to set the AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY to 200 (!!!). And it will still miss a lot (or always) when trying to hit a moving (especially strafing) target with cannons, and will not hit even once when using beams, as the beam doesn't even come close to the target's actual position. Add in the crazy shield buffs of the new release and you'll realise the turrets will simply never be able to bring a ship down unless you use target chasing (Missile master, Beam slave) missile setups which have a good hit chance on larger targets. I wouldn't recommend swarmers as they cause immense amounts of friendly fire and they are just as dangerous to your own ships as to the enemy. They desperately need an IFF system (tertiary? Please?) to be viable for defensive purposes.

Reaction score
    I completely agree. The AI accuracy in my opinion is only worth mentioning how bad it is.
    I remember when the accuracy was insane. It required more strategy and choosing when to fight or flee.
    AI capital ships with numerous turrets were the bane of my existence. I remember keeping an eye on the radar and an ear on my turrets checking to make sure that I was alone, I also remember building fast ships so I can outrun anything that the pirates could have, or simply out smart them.
    Now the AI can not shoot anything at any range. The AI's accuracy is bugged and terrible.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ai accuracy issues solved by setting accuracy to 100 (it's a percent-based value now, I guess. 100 means 100% aiming at the core) Also, new build finally allows beams to converge on target, so AI can now use them properly.