Aesthetic Docking System and Docking Gears

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I had an idea for a new type of docking block, the Aesthetic Dock:

These new Docks would use the following rules:
    - Does not have any docking area limitations.
    - Objects with BobbyAI blocks cannot be docked. If one is placed after docking, the object is automatically undocked.
    - While docked no weapon or system can be used from the ship’s core.
    - To prevent this dock from being used for regular ships. After docking, all thrusters, power generators and capacitors are removed automatically. when docking a warning message is displayed, informing the player that these blocks will be removed.
    - Docked objects Share their MotherShip’s shields and power.
    - If the MotherShip is being piloted, or is otherwise in motion, no one can enter the docked ship’s core, If someone is inside the core they are kicked out.
    - To avoid physics problems created by inevitable clipping; If the MotherShip and/or the docking block is destroyed or the object is otherwise undocked, the formerly docked object maintains its no-clipping status with the MotherShip until it is determined that it is no longer intersecting with it.
    - To address performance concerns, limitation configurations could be used to limit the number of aesthetic docks that can be placed on a ship, limit the number of blocks that can be in an aesthetic dock, as well as limiting or disabling logic blocks and/or slowing down logic circuits on docked objects.

The main uses of this:
    -The addition of angles other than 90 and 45 degrees in ship design (slanted hulls), without adding new blocks. Permitting the creation of more complex shapes.

My second suggestion: A new type of Logic Controlled Block, the “Docking Gear”:

Docking gear:
    - When placed below a Docking Block, it controls the vertical motion of the docked object.
    - When placed on any side of a Docking Block, it controls the Horizontal motion of the docked object.
    - When a Docking Gear receives an On signal it rotates the docked object one degree in the (+) direction.
    - When a Docking Gear receives an Off signal it rotates the docked object one degree in the (-) direction.

The main uses of this:

-Combined with Aesthetic docking, it allows for the creation of “transforming” ships. For example; an x-wing type ship that can move its wings into different positions. As well as animated ships, like the EarthForce destroyers in this Babylon 5 video.
    - The Docking Gears could also be used for Turrets, to do things like returning the turrets to a neutral position after combat, to turn many turrets simultaneously at the player’s discretion, or to have turrets use animated motion while not in combat.

Edit: fixed some things.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    - When a Docking Gear receives an On signal it rotates the docked object in the (+) direction.
    - When a Docking Gear receives an Off signal it rotates the docked object in the (-) direction.
    And how do I tell it to not move?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ah sorry, I had to re-write this when my browser crashed and forgot the part about how it would move one degree.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    - When a Docking Gear receives an On signal it rotates the docked object one degree in the (+) direction.
    - When a Docking Gear receives an Off signal it rotates the docked object one degree in the (-) direction.
    Even that won't fix the problem. After an ON only an OFF may follow, since an ON after an ON is no status change, as thus is nothing.
    You need to work with the location of the gear relative top the dock to achieve this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Even that won't fix the problem. After an ON only an OFF may follow, since an ON after an ON is no status change, as thus is nothing.
    I was unaware of that >.>
    Perhaps having a Positive Gear and a Negative Gear, that move the docked object when they receive any signal?

You need to work with the location of the gear relative top the dock to achieve this.
    I'm not sure what you mean here?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My second suggestion: A new type of Logic Controlled Block, the “Docking Gear”:

Docking gear:
    - When placed below a Docking Block, it controls the vertical motion of the docked object.
    - When placed on any side of a Docking Block, it controls the Horizontal motion of the docked object.

The main uses of this:

-Combined with Aesthetic docking, it allows for the creation of “transforming” ships. For example; an x-wing type ship that can move its wings into different positions. As well as animated ships, like the EarthForce destroyers in this Babylon 5 video.
    - The Docking Gears could also be used for Turrets, to do things like returning the turrets to a neutral position after combat, to turn many turrets simultaneously at the player’s discretion, or to have turrets use animated motion while not in combat.

Edit: fixed some things.
    I like this part if I understand you, you want to make a sort of hinge
    it seriously is cool (#hard to spell) but lose parts are very hard to make I think and to prevent having all crapy physical problems
    you should change "docking gear" into: motor/engine otherwise it would be too much things with dock
    like the vid too!

note: many mistakes are expected in this text

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I'm not sure what you mean here?
    well, your other solution works too.
    I was referring to something like:
    Code:
    rotationFactor=sgn(xGear-xDock)*sgn(zGear-zDock)
    Note: sgn is the signum function. sgn(x) is 0 if x is 0, -1 if x is smaller than 0, and 1 if x is greater than 0.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    a lot of this is planned to be achievable with the rail system
    aaaaaaaaaah that's what enlightenment feels like
    before I was like rail system euuuuum?????? what do you mean with that?! whuuuu??? rail gun????
    now I'm like :eek: that sort of rail! i can't wait!!!!!!
    will you also change the dock lift into a rail lift?
    ow and, maybe add a whole gear system like with the logic could be fun in some way for the future

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    These new Docks would use the following rules:
    - Does not have any docking area limitations.
    - Objects with BobbyAI blocks cannot be docked. If one is placed after docking, the object is automatically undocked.
    - While docked no weapon or system can be used from the ship’s core.
    - To prevent this dock from being used for regular ships. After docking, all thrusters, power generators and capacitors are removed automatically. when docking a warning message is displayed, informing the player that these blocks will be removed.
    - Docked objects Share their MotherShip’s shields and power.
    - If the MotherShip is being piloted, or is otherwise in motion, no one can enter the docked ship’s core, If someone is inside the core they are kicked out.
    - To avoid physics problems created by inevitable clipping; If the MotherShip and/or the docking block is destroyed or the object is otherwise undocked, the formerly docked object maintains its no-clipping status with the MotherShip until it is determined that it is no longer intersecting with it.
    - To address performance concerns, limitation configurations could be used to limit the number of aesthetic docks that can be placed on a ship, limit the number of blocks that can be in an aesthetic dock, as well as limiting or disabling logic blocks and/or slowing down logic circuits on docked objects.

The main uses of this:
    -The addition of angles other than 90 and 45 degrees in ship design (slanted hulls), without adding new blocks. Permitting the creation of more complex shapes.
    Um, all of this is a bit much. What if I want to have a decorative panel armor panel with the thruster texture? I'd say that simply put, the decorative ship shouldn't have any of it's own stats, no active AI or usable weapons, or power, or its own shields. It also shouldn't show up in nav.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What if each gear had an adjustable setting, where the player would tell it which direction and how far to rotate, when receiving an "on" signal? Plus maybe a setting for speed, so that it takes a player-set time to rotate the attached entity. You could build two of these together to rotate in either direction. (Theoretically, you could end up in a situation where both blocks rotate at once for a net rotation of 0 degrees.)