Advice on hosting a server

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I am planning host a small server in the future. I need some advice on how to set up a server. I have hosted hamachi minecraft servers, but I want to host a proper server that you just need the ip and you join. I also want to know what to think about when being a server owner, and finally if my computer will do as a server.

ram: 8gb
    gpu: R9 280x
    cpu: fx 6100

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    First of all you should read this.
    (Assuming Linux environment, as this is in general better suited for servers)

Next point is your assumable low upload speed.
    You should reserve and consider at least, 25-50kb/sec upload speed per player.
    In fact you need more but, this should be the min to keep it playable for them when knowing the fact you are on a low bandwidth (and do not warp around too much and also do not build large structures)
    Hosting a starmade server on your local connection has nearly the same requirements and problems as any minecraft server has.
    Delayed chunk-loading due to bandwidth bottlenecks.

So you 'should' consider using a small vserver for this.
    (1,5GB ram do, and the CPU usage is not that high for 2-5 players doing 'sane' things.)

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    what about for windows?
    i think 10 mbps is okay upload speed because that can do minecraft pretty well, oh yeah and also I would probably not allow giant ships as my system hates java so I cannot load >500000 block ships without lagging

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    okay, 10mbps is more than average and should be able to handle a few players.

Windows works similar, you can do most of the stuff in 'gui mode' with 'start dedicated server' or in
    console mode with the same syntax and commands as in Linux.

- Andy