Advice for new builders, or all

Do you still have your early blueprints?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Gday all

I've been helping a mate get back into StarMade, and in the process went into the deep, deep archives of all my StarMade directories to retrieve long lost blueprints. I will admit, it was a rough journey. I almost got lost...on multiple occasions, it was like driving through new housing estates, they are all the same, but """different""". Got stuck climbing through the shells of the countless Venator's I built (and never completed), all the Borg ships I took part in assimilating, the odd Excalibur class here and there. But I made it out. And it made me think about how I once thought my ships were, well, were quite rubbish. I remembered asking for the secrets of ship building, to building good ships, the guide to details etc.

This sound like a few of you? Well, maybe more than a few. Well, here is a BIG jump of my ships over a few years to provide some insight.

Now I probably should have highlighted my new ship, but I imagine it be pretty obvious which is the new one. For those who cannot, here is the new ship in question.

This improvement (in my eyes) did NOT happen overnight. It has been the accumulation of years of experimentation, dicking about, collaboration builds, watching other builders, drowning in concept ships ( concept ships ) and ultimately, just placing a bunch of different blocks I would generally never use together to see what happens.

If you followed this post this far, I commend you. My English (even though I am a native Australian English speaker) is terrible on paper.

I'm sorry if this is dragged on, out of context to what the title says, but ultimately, my advice for new players/builders, and generally everyone is:
    follow your heart.

All joking aside. I recommend everyone keep as many of their blueprints as possible, ESPECIALLY your first, early blueprints, your first aesthetic ship, your first anything and everything whatsoever ship, to compare where you are now. The average Billy-Bob cannot expect to be able to pick up a new instrument and be a skilled and play that instrument like someone who has been playing for a longer time than them. Albeit there are the select few who can, but the average Joe ain't gonna be able to.

I'll be glad to respond to any comments (if there are any), cheers for reading this if you did.

_Scooter98_

Reactions: Comradecolonel

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I guessed wrong. I thought the newest ship was the spindly-looking big one with a big flat white plate and big, cylindrical engines, if only for its avante-guarde open design.

The correct "new" ship is good too.

Is the green and white "blimp" on community content? That looks like it might be fun to explore on the inside... Then again, it might be solid systems.

Treefolk

The Clueless
    Reaction score
    From what I've observed everyone goes through the same design evolution over their first few weeks of playing. First, every starts with the newbie mining brick. Second, newbie mining brick 2.0 that's bigger and better. Then, after those two ships are done with actual ships get built (ya know, with an actually attempt at hull shapes, features, etc).

Reaction score
    From what I've observed everyone goes through the same design evolution over their first few weeks of playing. First, every starts with the newbie mining brick. Second, newbie mining brick 2.0 that's bigger and better. Then, after those two ships are done with actual ships get built (ya know, with an actually attempt at hull shapes, features, etc).
    Rly? I went to newbie mining brick 3.0 and have been improving ever since. I'm at 22.3, with logic, 2 full salvager 9 by 9 arrays, and a minimal JD. I've tried sal/can, and adding shields or armor or better engines, but they only make it more expensive.

:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
    Is the green and white "blimp" on community content?
    No its not currently in the community content. It is based on the Progenitor Mothership from Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

That looks like it might be fun to explore on the inside... Then again, it might be solid systems.
    More or less systems with a bunch of large empty rooms. Will upload to community content after I convert all the blueprints in my StarMade directories to the latest build.

A point I wanted to convey with this post, is that I have gotten better over time, as well as become much more conservative in ship scale.

_Scooter98_

Reactions: jayman38

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Generally when new to a server, Ships: miner, attack/guard ships, and some gun satellites. Stations: HQ with auto factory system, secondary bases, and gun bases.

As for how these are built it really depends on the server's rules but generally the miners are going to be as simple and effective as they are able to be with a 3x3xN setup to start off on the salvager arrays. Generally my starter miners are simple enough to spam and have a huge cargo zone on the ass. :)

As for gun satellites, aside from the fact they normally get replaced by stations when able they are generally about 90% gun turret with enough power to fire all weapons and shields to withstand a first strike. Never been able to knock out a useful shape. >.<