Actual hyperspace

Support?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Move around fast (but obviously turn at 50 times less ROTATION speed for the sake of destination-plotting, if you know what I mean) in HYPERSPACE!!

Bullet point form, because why not.

• Add jump-drive assistance beams: if inhibitors are the drainers, then assistance beams are the suppliers.
    • Add a new jump drive fuel mechanic, whereby the jumper can only jump as long/far as long as their jump-drive capacitors are not completely empty.
    • Add jump-drive capacitors that increase the capacity of a jump-drive's charge.
    • Add a jump-drive charge cap (only stops charging when first reached (if the charge is also being drained quickly, and the player is fluctuating between the points, the game will favour the ability to go over, not under,) you can go further by simply stopping the click-hold and doing it again for further charge) that goes by the player's destination.
    • Add hyperspace, a no-collision, super-fancy-looking alternate plane of space in which speed is multiplied by a configure-able default of... (estimated balanced amount) say, 1,500? And turning speed is lowered in a similar way by, say... 50? Jump drive fuel mechanics apply here. Upon running out of fuel, the player would slowly decelerate until they dropped completely out of hyperspace. An emergency drop would damage the ship's structure and armour by the ship's hyperspace speed in... I dunno, metres per second? No speed at dropping deals no harm, of course. Click the jump-drive computer's icon in the flight mode hotbar to drop, by the by.
    • Add jump-drive interdictors, an offensive module that drains the enemy jump-drive charge into 'interdiction charge' in the interdicting ship, which, assuming all this was going on in hyperspace, once the success limit is reached (lowered to a maximum of 5,000 charge by simply adding more modules to the interdiction computer) knocks the interdicted ship out of hyperspace (and, of course, the interdicting ship) for them to engage/do whatever.
    • Add space-cutters, an odd module that cuts wormholes in normal-space that, instead of leading to other wormholes, lead into hyperspace. This actually allows ships that require an emergency drop but don't want to be damaged to seamlessly fly out of hyperspace, returning to ordinary speeds, of course. Booster modules can be placed at either side of the tears that can only be cleaned away with 'space stitching' modules, allowing players to give jump-drive fuel to those with no jump-drive to use their core's default jump-fuel capacity of 10,000 to fly around in hyperspace a bit, even without a single jump-drive module/computer on board.
    • Add booster beacons: when flying past one, if the jumper is there for long enough, the jumper is refuelled from the beacon's jump-charge tanks/capacitors.
    • Make jump-drive initiation put players into hyperspace, not instant teleportation.
    • Dramatically decrease default speed, to around... I dunno, 35, maybe? Reason being, this would firstly stop high-speed battles in which no-one hits anything—which obviously suck—(another thing to help that would be to dramatically increase the default projectile speed) and secondly, it would allow more need for hyperspace, and interdiction. Take inspiration from Elite: Dangerous – you literally never get into high-speed trashy "battles," because the default normal-space speed is so low! On second thoughts, if we take inspiration two games earlier in the Elite series, to Frontier: Elite 2... you often get into VERY fast battles (the game has basically no maximum speed, just acceleration. Newtonian physics, so it has) while in autopilot. The enemies intercept you every now and then, and if you're not good at fighting, you'll get into some kind of stupid high-speed joust! So, you turn off the flight assist computer (engines off, for those of you who know the game—now you can only enter manual forward/retro thrust) and let them catch up. Small movements still apply here, you can easily fly left and right up and down, it's just that both entities are moving at a similar speed in one direction as well—wherever you were auto-piloting to. Think of the battle as being in a box. In this box, both entities can move freely, but the box is moving too. See?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    man this is like ur 14th suggestion in the last two days .... I don't mean to be a downer but the search function could be your friend here.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So-called "space cutters" sound weird, but regardless I'm a fan of any well-thought-out hyperdrive mechanic. Anything but the current glorified change_sector system, I'd be happy with.

Reactions: djthekiller
    Reaction score
    So-called "space cutters" sound weird, but regardless I'm a fan of any well-thought-out hyperdrive mechanic. Anything but the current glorified change_sector system, I'd be happy with.
    Space cutters are there so you can just enjoy making rifts in space.

Imagine an immense flying saucer suddenly tearing a rift in space, and flying through with all its evil minion saucers.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, that'd be great, but getting a mesh to actually appear to come out of something is a bit tough programming-wise - worse with voxels. Even if it's possible it's probably not worth the development time needed to make it look cool, and if it doesn't look good (say, if it's just a mesh and ships pop up in front of it) I'd rather not even see it happen.

Reactions: wolfboyft

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Add a jump-drive charge cap (only stops charging when first reached (if the charge is also being drained quickly, and the player is fluctuating between the points, the game will favour the ability to go over, not under,) you can go further by simply stopping the click-hold and doing it again for further charge) that goes by the player's destination.
    This paragraph is difficult to understand and I'd leave out the space cutters, but overall I like this suggestion.

I think Schema wants to avoid having an extra dimension with nothing in it, so this could be handled more like a "warp tunnel" than an alternate dimension. The current jump "tunnel" animation would continue to play while moving at high speed through normal space with no collisions. This would allow planets, stars, etc. to zip past at high speed and provide meaningful scenery during FTL travel. Players outside of the warp tunnel might see a blue streak or something going by at high speed, which would be cool.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This paragraph is difficult to understand and I'd leave out the space cutters, but overall I like this suggestion.

I think Schema wants to avoid having an extra dimension with nothing in it, so this could be handled more like a "warp tunnel" than an alternate dimension. The current jump "tunnel" animation would continue to play while moving at high speed through normal space with no collisions. This would allow planets, stars, etc. to zip past at high speed and provide meaningful scenery during FTL travel. Players outside of the warp tunnel might see a blue streak or something going by at high speed, which would be cool.
    What ever happened to the "W:40K monsters in hyperspace" suggestion?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    IDK. I honestly don't think that would work out as well as what has been described in this thread.
    So, anyways, you mentioned that this should be a tunnel rather than a full separate dimension. If so, wouldn't this basically just be a replacement for the current warp drive? Not that I would mind, but I think it should be made ore clear in the OP.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So, anyways, you mentioned that this should be a tunnel rather than a full separate dimension. If so, wouldn't this basically just be a replacement for the current warp drive? Not that I would mind, but I think it should be made ore clear in the OP.
    I think it would be. The current one is a glorified change_sector command as Ithirahad said.

Reaction score
    I think the main thing they are trying to avoid is a loading screen of some sort. As another dimension would most likely need. However what about some sort of phased approach like WoW. When in hyperspace "phase" the physics would be different. You couldn't interact with normal space but your speed would be dramatically increased.

Reaction score
    I think it would be. The current one is a glorified change_sector command as Ithirahad said.
    I think the main thing they are trying to avoid is a loading screen of some sort. As another dimension would most likely need. However what about some sort of phased approach like WoW. When in hyperspace "phase" the physics would be different. You couldn't interact with normal space but your speed would be dramatically increased.

From what i remember reading about a week ago the jump drive already takes you to an alternate dimension you don't see and then does a change sector command back to the real world in the space of the current animation anyways you just don't see it, we already have a "physical" alternate realm in the form of the test sector for shipyards I don't really see it being that difficult to copy that code change the trigger mechanism and then alter that "test sector" to simulate moving objects on a timer that when expired initiates the "change sector" command and drops you where you were going.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The current warp system already feels like a loading screen. I think giving it some interactivity would actually make it seem less so. Once of the things that caused me to first play Starmade was that you could fly from a planet's surface to orbit completely freely and without getting locked into an autopilot, and I think turning the current jump drive into a hyperspace would actually make it more like that.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just for reference, a transition into an alternate dimension would not require loading screens. When we change between sectors, we are, in some senses, going to different dimensions already.

Reaction score
    Well, at least this thread is getting some... conversation. How about we all say, first, whether we support the idea as it is, want to kill it, or think it needs tweaking?

EDIT: So should I make it a tunnel? The whole idea was actually to be a bit like Elite: Dangerous' Supercruise mode, though...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, at least this thread is getting some... conversation. How about we all say, first, whether we support the idea as it is, want to kill it, or think it needs tweaking?

EDIT: So should I make it a tunnel? The whole idea was actually to be a bit like Elite: Dangerous' Supercruise mode, though...
    I don't think it should be made into a tunnel personally, but I've really warmed up to the idea of this replacing the current jump drive. So, yeah, support.

Reaction score
    Dramatically decrease default speed, to around... I dunno, 35, maybe? Reason being, this would firstly stop high-speed battles in which no-one hits anything—which obviously suck—(another thing to help that would be to dramatically increase the default projectile speed) and secondly, it would allow more need for hyperspace, and interdiction. Take inspiration from Elite: Dangerous – you literally never get into high-speed trashy "battles," because the default normal-space speed is so low! On second thoughts, if we take inspiration two games earlier in the Elite series, to Frontier: Elite 2... you often get into VERY fast battles (the game has basically no maximum speed, just acceleration. Newtonian physics, so it has) while in autopilot. The enemies intercept you every now and then, and if you're not good at fighting, you'll get into some kind of stupid high-speed joust! So, you turn off the flight assist computer (engines off, for those of you who know the game—now you can only enter manual forward/retro thrust) and let them catch up. Small movements still apply here, you can easily fly left and right up and down, it's just that both entities are moving at a similar speed in one direction as well—wherever you were auto-piloting to. Think of the battle as being in a box. In this box, both entities can move freely, but the box is moving too. See?
    Possibly not the best/most relevant update I ever did, but I think this works.

Reaction score
    What about... the larger the mass of a ship, the more effects appear when they jump into/out of hyperspace?

So a tiny little fighter would make hardly any special effects, but a giant capital ship would leave huge trails of black ink-like effects, with lightning crackles and overwhelming "warpy" sounds. Basically all the effects.

Reactions: jayman38