Recognized by Council Activation Modules interact with Computers

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As the title says, make it so Activation Modules, when slaved to a Computer (or vice versa? I forgot) allow it to be toggled between active and inactive.

What this changes:
    When when linked to a computer and turned on, Activation modules no longer make a single instant pulse to the computer, but instead keep it on "on/constantly active" mode.
    • Bobby AI turns on / off
    • Weapons (e.g. Cannon/Cannon) constantly fire / idle
    • Warp Gates warp ships / don't warp ships
    • Jump Drives spool (charge) / idle
    • Shipyards activate (e.g. construct ships when ordered) / deactivate (construction on loaded designs stop & new designs don't load into anchor)
    Computers this would affect:
    • Bobby AI (On/Off)
    • Weapon Computers* (Firing/Not)
    • Warp Gates (Warping/Not)
    • Jump Drives (Spooling/Not)
    • Shipyards (On/Off)
    *Includes Support-Tool Computers such as Power Supply, Astrotech or Shield Drain.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    As the title says, make it so Activation Modules, when slaved to a Computer (or vice versa? I forgot) allow it to be toggled between active and inactive.

What this changes:
    When when linked to a computer and turned on, Activation modules no longer make a single instant pulse to the computer, but instead keep it on "on/constantly active" mode.
    • Bobby AI turns on / off
    • Weapons (e.g. Cannon/Cannon) constantly fire / idle
    • Warp Gates warp ships / don't warp ships
    • Jump Drives spool (charge) / idle
    • Shipyards activate (e.g. construct ships when ordered) / deactivate (construction on loaded designs stop & new designs don't load into anchor)
    Computers this would affect:
    • Bobby AI (On/Off)
    • Weapon Computers* (Firing/Not)
    • Warp Gates (Warping/Not)
    • Jump Drives (Spooling/Not)
    • Shipyards (On/Off)
    *Includes Support-Tool Computers such as Power Supply, Astrotech or Shield Drain.
    This would greatly simplfy many of the setups in current ships.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Everything except the jump drive charging would be awesome.
    The jump drive should still be a thing that needs signals as you can (if I recall correctly) speed up the process by having some logic tech.
    If you have this you make logic gates less useful for practical things and atm there aren't many practical logic applications (except drone stuff) most of the logic things are decoration people should get some advantage to having high-tech knowledge.
    But for the rest, especially missiles and cannons that have cannon slaved, this would be really useful.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I completely agree, this feature seems so intuitive, it seems odd, that it's not a default part of the game.

Everything except the jump drive charging would be awesome.
    I disagree: I know I usually don't have a majority opinion, and this will probably be no different. Convoluted rotator clocks are just a means to go about enabling functions that were not intended. However, now that jump drives have been "fixed", everybody should be able to use them as intended, and not just those players that have enough focus to build a complex clock circuit.

My two cents:
    being able to charge a Jump drive is a key component in being able to make a Chain Drive. and A Chain Drive is going to be a key component in just about any exploration or scouting ship. Every player should be able to build a chain drive. :)

Reaction score
    I'd say that allow one logic signal to CHARGE a JD at a slow rate. In other words, logic clocks can be used to speed up the process, and some other system MUST be used to fire it, but a normal JD for, say, a warship, could charge while the player does other things. Because really, what possible SCIENCE-fiction reason can you have for needing to constantly push this button to charge the "GET ME OUTTA HERE" machine? Isn't there a better way to do this? A weight you can set on the button? Honestly.

Reaction score
    I'd say that allow one logic signal to CHARGE a JD at a slow rate. In other words, logic clocks can be used to speed up the process, and some other system MUST be used to fire it, but a normal JD for, say, a warship, could charge while the player does other things. Because really, what possible SCIENCE-fiction reason can you have for needing to constantly push this button to charge the "GET ME OUTTA HERE" machine? Isn't there a better way to do this? A weight you can set on the button? Honestly.
    Well to answer your final question a lot of times in scifi literature and film(#bestsourceever)almost all jump- or hyper- or warp-drive usage usually has a computer "making calculations" while some technician runs around flipping switches off and on and pressing buttons, even if the captain or pilot is still flying. This is sorta in starmade how you could have a buddy in the back spamming an activator module connected to your jump drive...
    Then in the super-duper-special-techy-ships you do get rocks to set on buttons. Sometimes ir's faster, sometimes it's slower, but this function is taken by chain drives and logic jumpers in starmade.

Now, back to your main point. If the activator just went really, really slowly it'd be okay, but why not have logic get some technical usage around here? If someone can rig up a rail speed controller and a spinny rail and make a superfast jump drive, more power to them. They already take up at least a 3-4-3 space at the minimum, with no fancy decorations and no speed boosts. I think having the ability for an early player (this is on jumdrives guys, I love the rest of it) to make a really slow autojumper would be fine, but it shouldn't be something that would be of use for long. It shouldn't be faster than a simple logic clock tick.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    My idea is that it is slow, but not so slow that it's unusable. Mostly I want to have a system that prepares a jumpdrive for use without extreme hassle, so you can charge a JD while mining or exploring a station/trading without your ship trying to leave you behind or requiring you to hold a button.
    Also, it doesn't act like a chaindrive. It just charges it, and won't fire unless it receives another pulse.

Reactions: Exozen
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then in the super-duper-special-techy-ships you do get rocks to set on buttons. Sometimes ir's faster, sometimes it's slower, but this function is taken by chain drives and logic jumpers in starmade.
    I completely agree, this feature seems so intuitive, it seems odd, that it's not a default part of the game.

I disagree: I know I usually don't have a majority opinion, and this will probably be no different. Convoluted rotator clocks are just a means to go about enabling functions that were not intended. However, now that jump drives have been "fixed", everybody should be able to use them as intended, and not just those players that have enough focus to build a complex clock circuit.
    Just a little note, the ones, even mine, that charged a jump drive in 1 tick got fixed because those were not as intended (server breaking speeds)
    The rotor clocks haven't been fixed meaning that they are working as intended, they speed up the process a little not a shit ton like the other logic circuits. They were fixed because they enabled you to move a titan with 1 JD module within 10 seconds. I also think everyone should be able to profit from chain jump drives and rotor technics but these people first need to learn them, like you do with power soft cap trick. Or like secret weapon development in russia, gotte learn it to use it.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Jump Drives spool
    This would have to be an exception. We would prefer that a crew member give you the ability to auto spool without holding down buttons instead of lifeless logic. We need purpose for crew and this is easily the place players will want their first crew members. Besides that, the rest seems sound.