Accessibility for new players.

Reaction score
    I feel one of the biggest flaws Starmmade has in its current form is it's very off putting for new people, who don't necessarily have the time or inclination to check out the community. I have a few friends who have given it a try and the reaction is usually the same, it's complicated, obtuse, takes too long to get started and there just isn't really much to do. Honestly, outside of the building mechanics (which are first rate, and getting better all the time) the game is definitely lacking as of now. Yes, for the record I know this game is no where near finished, and I have full confidence in the finished product (otherwise I wouldn't be posting on here :p ).

First of all I have a suggestion for community content, since the fantastic the community members make is one of the shining points of the game. I suggest that Starmade Dock implement a system for automatically updating the game with content that enough people rate highly enough. If custom factions/fleets/planets are going to be a thing then this will add more, and quality, content to the game, available straight away for new players to explore.

This would obviously have a couple of flaws to work out. First of all the uploader would have to be aware, and give permission, for their work to be part of the game proper. Secondly, a moderator or what have you would have to make sure it's appropriate, and doesn't infringe on existing copyright. And third there would need to be a system in place for making sure lag monsters aren't going to be auto uploaded onto weaker PCs.

My second suggestion on this topic would be for a complete overhaul to the games tutorial system. Giant text dumps, especially about a game this in depth, aren't an effective way to teach people how to play the game. I propose the game use the upcoming quest system to act as a tutorial, giving players tasks such as refitting a ship, making a logic system capable of doing "x", setting up a factory etc

Despite how short that suggestion was I feel that this is probably the most important, and would really appreciate people's inputs on that.

Finally, the game could do with being a bit more generous with starting resources. Or at the very least have more to do when starting out then just mine, craft and occasionally get blown up by pirates you stand no chance against.

Thanks for reading, and I would really appreciate input and feedback on these suggestions. I feel they would have a good positive impact on the game, so any thoughts on the matter are welcome.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ALPHA or BETA → peoples should inform themselves before buying at least.

Everywhere where StarMade is advertised, it should have these two words with a link/tool-tip or text explaining it (or link Alpha/Beta-Stage of programming to wikipedia), but that's what I don't see at http://star-made.org/ or the buy-page.
    The version number of 0.1xxx doesn't explain that.

It looks far to professional for ALPHA and BETA both.

And I agree, that this is lying toward peoples.

-- enough said ---

Reactions: Ithirahad

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    First of all I have a suggestion for community content, since the fantastic the community members make is one of the shining points of the game. I suggest that Starmade Dock implement a system for automatically updating the game with content that enough people rate highly enough. If custom factions/fleets/planets are going to be a thing then this will add more, and quality, content to the game, available straight away for new players to explore.
    While this is an alright idea in practice, you have to realize not all ships on CC on even any good. A large chunk of them are RP styled ships with low stats compared to what you would find on multiplayer servers, I feel like it would throw off expectations if a person was to move on from SP. There is also the issue that people with large followings could get any ship put into the game just by having many fans (There have been ships in the past rated high and looked good in screenshots, but ingame was 'eh' overall).

Once we get more features, I'd support stuff like custom faction packs (all ships + stations for a faction) that players can just download and plug in. I expect these to be few in numbers, so a window on the launcher could be good for grabbing these.

My second suggestion on this topic would be for a complete overhaul to the games tutorial system. Giant text dumps, especially about a game this in depth, aren't an effective way to teach people how to play the game. I propose the game use the upcoming quest system to act as a tutorial, giving players tasks such as refitting a ship, making a logic system capable of doing "x", setting up a factory etc
    I like that idea, I've always just assumed questing will be the (basic) tutorials. Needs to have that balance between too much info, and not enough.

Finally, the game could do with being a bit more generous with starting resources. Or at the very least have more to do when starting out then just mine, craft and occasionally get blown up by pirates you stand no chance against.
    That much is more or less back-burner at the moment. Servers already have the option to change around starting gear, and Schine work looking to add starting ships as well. This is just something that will come with time/balance.

Reaction score

Everywhere where StarMade is advertised, it should have these two words with a link/tool-tip or text explaining it (or link Alpha/Beta-Stage of programming to wikipedia), but that's what I don't see at http://star-made.org/ or the buy-page.

-- enough said ---
    I feel you have missed the point of the thread, this isn't about how Starmade markets itself (which for a large part, it doesn't, Schine deliberately do a minimum of marketing). It's more looking long term, for what the community feels would make the game feel more approachable.

And CyberTao, I do see your point on peoples potentially impacting what would make it into the game or not. That would need a bit of oversight to get working correctly.

Though, with regards to the ships up for download being less effective than the kind people might use for servers, I don't really think that's necessarily a bad thing. A quest or tutorial system could involve a player being tasked with refitting a ship designed for rp and passenger use for actual effective use. Make the player realise that many of the ships they encounter are less than competitive, and make them feel clever for learning how to use space more efficiently.

Less effective ships would also make the learning process a bit easier as well, so they don't get completely overwhelmed by pirates and other threats. Gives them a bit of leeway with their earlier designs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Once we get more features, I'd support stuff like custom faction packs (all ships + stations for a faction) that players can just download and plug in. I expect these to be few in numbers, so a window on the launcher could be good for grabbing these.
    someone read my AI factions thread... :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Am I the only new player who never read the tutorial but still understands how the game works?

Reactions: Malacodor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Albeit not automatically, Schine has implemented player stations before via contest. I don't assume that it will be the last player contest either. An automatic system is to prone to abuse.

I can agree with giving players more to start out though. At the very least a starter ship with mediocre combat and salvage equipment would be a good gesture to let players get right into the game and explore (and eventually take on NPC missions when they get implemented) without having to build just to leave their starting sector.

Reaction score
    Priority Issue
    tutorial system is done, but the tutorial inside will not be updated often
    Because this game changes a lot over time in the alpha stage,
    do a detail in game tutorial is a waste of time
    But we do have tutorials, they are on youtube

Reaction score
    The existing tutorial is pretty poor, and expecting everyone who tries the game to check youtube for how to make the most of it (especially considering how many of the tutorials on youtube are incredibly dull) is ludicrous to be honest.

And like I said, this isn't really a suggestion for the short term. It's just something that is worth thinking about for when the game approaches beta. Especially since LUA scripted quests seem to be relatively close on the agenda out of the things we were told were in the pipeline we already have rails, the beginnings of a faction point system, new universe layout, fast travel etc. All we're really missing at this point are capital ships, thrust/manoeuvring overhaul, aliens, custom NPC factions, fleets and LUA scripting for quests and AI.

Scripting for AI is way off, and scripting for the quests should probably come before NPC factions really, since that would involve less reworking down the line when it is implemented. And why not use the quest system to help new players learn how to make the most of the game without having to go out of their way to research youtube, or the forums.

Reaction score
    The existing tutorial is pretty poor, and expecting everyone who tries the game to check youtube for how to make the most of it (especially considering how many of the tutorials on youtube are incredibly dull) is ludicrous to be honest.

And like I said, this isn't really a suggestion for the short term. It's just something that is worth thinking about for when the game approaches beta. Especially since LUA scripted quests seem to be relatively close on the agenda out of the things we were told were in the pipeline we already have rails, the beginnings of a faction point system, new universe layout, fast travel etc. All we're really missing at this point are capital ships, thrust/manoeuvring overhaul, aliens, custom NPC factions, fleets and LUA scripting for quests and AI.

Scripting for AI is way off, and scripting for the quests should probably come before NPC factions really, since that would involve less reworking down the line when it is implemented. And why not use the quest system to help new players learn how to make the most of the game without having to go out of their way to research youtube, or the forums.
    All the things you said is already in plan. you can find those information from other threads in suggestions forum

yes there are bad tutorial youtube video from random people.
    But what i said at #9 is tutorial from official starmade channel(including Bench's channel)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

-- enough said ---
    If people can't read "PRE-ORDER," they deserve a brick-titan to the face, which hopefully the game will deliver to such idiots in short order.