About suggestions

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players.

As there seems to be some misunderstanding, I just wanted to clarify a few things about suggestions, and where I take them from:

First of all: I do care about suggestions no matter where they come from. But I use suggestions just as what they are: suggestions. There are countless things I implemented from forum suggestions, just because they instantly made perfect sense to me. The thing is, a lot of the suggestions in the forums are bigger features or core system changes. It would take a lot of time to implement them, and additionally and because of that they require a lot of thought. I don't like all of the suggestions, but a lot of them are also already planned, and I will implement it when I think the game is in the right state to do so. My mind can also be changed on certain things, and it happened already some times.

Please don't think I'm giving any people any advantage when it comes to suggestions. I do my best to treat every suggestion equally. If there is a bigger feature that came out shortly after someone suggested it, it is most likely pure coincidence, and I was planning and working in that direction for months. In fact you will never see a bigger feature implemented shortly after someone suggests it, because for the reason I mentioned: I have to think about them, and implementations take time, especially when I need to provide a base system. I just don't like throwing stuff in there, as it would destroy the game in the long run.

That being said, even if I'm unable to answer suggestions directly, I love reading them, and I am thankful for every suggestion provided.

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    Some of the suggestions on the forums were getting way outta hand, people need to think about if they were in the devs shoes before throwing out ridiculous suggestions and getting upset when they don\'t happen straight away.

mou

Reaction score
    hundreds of people asked for hyperspeed travel,

no answer to a single of those posts

I m just telling facts

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    That\'s what I\'m trying to say. I\'m not in the stage of the game yet where I think about implementing fast travel or hyperspeed. I will engage in the discussion once I am. But I don\'t want to spend time that I could be using to work on the game, discussing about theoratical things that I can\'t tell 100% sure yet if are even possible or not. If I would do that on every topic like this, the next starmade update would come probably next year.

Everything I say on forums is interpreted in different ways. So, because when I have no 100% clear statement about something that is critical to the gameplay (like fast travel), I rather say nothing then put out rumors that are sometimes even interpreted as promises. All I can say is that I plan features in that direction.

Once I\'m determined on implementing the feature I will join the discussing which at that point has probably alreadyproduced a lot of great ideas.

Reaction score
    hey an idea you should have a planned features page in the forums that way people stop suggesting the same stuff over and over again?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don\'t know how many of us here have worked on a project like this, but it\'s a lot of work, not just building the code, but planning development and just maintaining the vision. If Schema tried to do a quarter of the things we suggest, we\'d have an awful schizophrenic game and probably an awful schizophrenic Schema.

As one of those people who makes painful, core-modifying suggestions, I feel heard and appreciated. Schema, I hope you feel the same. Thanks for letting us play in your sandbox.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think, sometimes, that people need to be reminded of whose game it is. I don\'t mean that to sound unnecessarily selfish; it\'s just a fact. You had an idea for something big and chose to share it with the community. That doesn\'t mean that everyone can simply demand that their input be worked into its design. It\'s a common problem.

Many of the MMORPGs I have played have had the same problem: How do you develop the game and please the public without compromising the original vision and intended direction of the game? Always, there are people claiming that certain characters are \"too powerful\", but it always seems to be the ones they\'re not playing doesn\'t it? As the main driving force behind this game, you\'ll have to be able to assess an idea\'s impact and potential benefit or detriment objectively; you can\'t let people try to strongarm you into making the game what they think it should be.

Personally, I think you\'re doing a wonderful job. Something this ambitious is going to take a lot of time, but it\'s worth waiting for. I am excited to see what you\'ll think of next.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A development roadmap might help to remind people that StarMade is in alpha. If people know that you will be addressing (warp-speed or whatever) somewhere along about beta3, maybe they will relax about suggesting it like you hadn\'t considered the idea :)

Reaction score
    would it be to troublesome for you to make a new tab, called Future Suggestions, where you move suggestions you will implant sometime, and make it so people cant make new topics but can reply there

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Take keep on trucking schema. People who are complaining that their \"suggestions\" have not been addressed are out of their minds. The game is obviously not finished and they already want to live out every episode of star trek/wars/craft that has been in existance. Dollar for dollar this game gives more entertainment time/value then games 10 times more expensive and finished. Many of the complainers have probably not even bought the alpha. Ignore the complaints and take the value in the positive suggestions on your way to completing your game. Best of luck to ya

-Miller

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    due to how much we want him working on the game, more then the forum, i think he should have forum mods take care of that end of things. if schema has the forum mods go through each post and point out the hylights, he will be able to do more on the game, and not need to read through each and every hair brained idea that some people come up with. some people come up with some doosies... mine is more about adding blocks, then a true change. i try to keep it simple, do if the dev\'s dont like it, someone can pick it up to make it into a mod when the updates are coming slow enough for it to be of use.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    What i realy want to, is a way to know who and what are being work at the past week, it could be as simple as a screenshot as beetlebear do for art stuff, and a line or two for code things, like \"improving database to hold better and unique itens\" one or two of those a week can make me feel realy in touch with the progress of the game.

Reaction score
    I find it fun just to read the creative minds of people. Reading about the suggestions for a game like this are just as fun as if they were implemented.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, first of all, you should somehow outline the single way of suggestion input that you\'d prefer more, and make it work precisely.

If it goes for the Forums, then you have to find a person who would reconfigure forums to a better layout, since it\'s really unintuitive when you can only Search for threads from the forum Index, and managing information of these threads is very tough when display width is so narrow and +80% of the post editor functions are in fact not supported.

If it goes for the Google Moderator service suggestions, then it has to be widely highlighted so that people would actually make their vote on every existing suggestions, which effectively make them aware of every suggestion already in place, before they add their own. Some additional moderator would be advised as well since, in example, my suggestions there were in \'on-approval\' state for nearly three days. Personally I see it as a better option for better structure.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    FIRST!!! (always wanted to do that) with that off my chest: Schema I think (or at least hope) most of the Starnade community would agree with me when I say: Developing a game is tough and I think most of the community understands that and they don\'t expect you to implement every suggestion or to implement a suggestion within the hour its put up :p However I think that it would be cooler to see a little bit more into the development path of the game, something like a Roadmap where we can see what ideas are planned on being implemented and which areas and aspects of the game are of highest importance to you at the moment. Also I and I think I speak for the community here as well, don\'t want you to rush the game. Take your time, I\'ll gladly wait a year or two for a spectacular game then have a decent game in a few months.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Stupid phone didn\'t show any of the comments until I posted mine. -sigh- now I look like a dummy. Should have known someone would have commented in 5 plus hours. Ah well the bulk of it still applies.