Ability to disable shields

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Since the new kinetic effects don't work with shields up, what if a manual shield disable switch was implemented, via either the structure menu or some kind of shield controller block? Perhaps certain environmental things could force your shields to shut off too, like nebulae and perhaps some kind of alien drone ship, but that sort of thing can come later.

Reaction score
    I like that little hook idea...add alot of new option for game development.

Shield storms, FTL travel, system failure, etc...

Reaction score
    perhaps some kind of alien drone ship, but that sort of thing can come later.
    I would love to see some way of taking out ships in a way that doesn't simply require pure firepower... would make for much more interesting battles where some players focus on breaking into the systems of other ships.
    Back on topic though, having some way of enabling and disabling any system from the Structure tab at will could be useful in some way or another.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I would love to see some way of taking out ships in a way that doesn't simply require pure firepower... would make for much more interesting battles where some players focus on breaking into the systems of other ships.
    ...Then you'll love the new weapons system. You can make Ion weapons (Shieldbusters), EMP weapons, etc...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Wait, collision effects no longer work while shields are up? There go my hopes and dreams of making disposable knives to attack to ramming ships.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The ability to enable/disable shields should be implemented even if it isn't immediately useful, it's a simple add-on to the Structures and perhaps should even be granted a button so you can use the function like cloak, jam or a weapon.

Why I think we can use this is perhaps.. one day.. FTL, jump gates etc.. might requires shields to be dropped (or docking). I liked the idea of nebula lowering the shield efficiency, or maybe some effects cause the shields to draw MORE power to stay up thus tossing the balance of ships power design. Perhaps even allow shields a 1/4, 1/2 3/4 and full setting?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Oh yes. Only to get instantly core drilled? No thanks. Maybe when the hp system gets implemented but for now no, just no.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, I absolutely want this.

Lots of times I use actual ships of mine as testbeds for a new ship's weaponry. It'd be nice to be able to drop the shields on them so I can test out the missile systems without having to have the shields get dropped first.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh yes. Only to get instantly core drilled? No thanks. Maybe when the hp system gets implemented but for now no, just no.
    That isn't the point... It's only so someone can tow you with their tractor beam or for testing the effectiveness of weapons, etc., and as a way to balance certain things or as a status effect from anomalies.

Either way, development seems to have gone into a feature freeze, and the Release Candidates are starting to come out, so we won't be getting this until at least next update (The armor/HP update IIRC) anyway.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    That isn't the point... It's only so someone can tow you with their tractor beam or for testing the effectiveness of weapons, etc., and as a way to balance certain things or as a status effect from anomalies.

Either way, development seems to have gone into a feature freeze, and the Release Candidates are starting to come out, so we won't be getting this until at least next update (The armor/HP update IIRC) anyway.
    Oh, the pushing and pulling are only functional if shields are dropped?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh, the pushing and pulling are only functional if shields are dropped?
    Until today's patch, yes. But I believe that it SHOULD be this way - just not without any way to bring down shields without having to get them shot down. >.<