A Work in Progress

Reaction score

So I've recently started putting all of my skills and know-how so far into designing an advanced mining ship. Specifically, one that's fully "logiced" up and user-friendly. It's still a work in process, but when it's done I intend to make it my first upload to the Dock here.
    I always enjoy looking at people's build methods and design choices as they go, so I thought I'd share mine.
    Right now it looks like a space lego on the outside, but that's mostly because I haven't shaped the block of thrusters in the back yet. :)
    I'm also putting a lot more effort into decorating the interior of this one than I have before. I'd love some input on that front.

Yay Universal docking!

The dock takes you straight into the "work floor".

Obviously, ships cannot yet be refineries, but as soon as they can you can bet I'll be ALL OVER THAT. I wanted this room to have a machine shop kind of look. I'm really shooting for 'Industrial' overall.

Just to the right of the entryway, this leads to the 'cockpit'.

Which is mostly just the camera display area for piloting.

That text at the bottom is connected to a massive computer in the middle of the ship. It's one of a number of Hud displays that will be able to be assigned to this screen from the main terminal in the core room. Right now it's displaying the status of my backup shield.

Back the other way now, towards the elevator...

As I said, still being worked on. Hence the missing wall. LoL. I really wanted this to feel like a maintenance corridor.

Up the (currently unfinished) elevator, by 1 floor, is the "core room". Which is actually more like a Core Corridor.

For anyone who saw my post "Making AI More Interesting" You might recognize this! This is my interactive computer terminal. It can do things like: Charging the chain drive for later use, measure the percentage of docked cargo pods that have been filled, activate the "turbo drive" (push modules), Lockdown the ship with interior forcefields, and all kinds of other stuff.

I'll update this thread as I keep going. I'm totally open to input or suggestions, as I'm always trying to find new ideas or tricks to work into my builds. :)

Reaction score
    looking great so far,does it have crew quarters for when they implement that?
    Thanks!
    No quarters yet, but the upper half has a lot of open space and I intend to create some.
    I also recently discovered that my RedAlert module was malfunctioning, and the redesign opened up a great big space right above that machine shop.
    I'm also planning a small med bay, and possibly a cafeteria-like gathering place. These will likely be a bit spartan by design. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a barracks style layout with multiple people stacked into each room, or if I want to make fewer rooms with slightly more comfort for a change of scenery.
    The ship is supposed to be fairly automated, so in theory it wouldn't need too many people aboard to operate efficiently....
    *Shrug* thoughts?

Reaction score
    I got a bit more time to work on this, and BEHOLD! There was a texture update with new blocks!!

Those new bars are AWESOME. Fabulous addition with multiple uses.

The new pipes are also very nice. These added that last little bit of detail I think this maintenance corridor was missing.

The new bars again, this time as railing along a walkway that leads to the crew quarters I promised up above.

Speaking of, here are the broomcloset quarters for the factory workers. There's a bathroom behind the plex door with a toilet, med kit, and shower. The idea behind this project was to build a deep space mining ship. Something that can go way outside of known space to mine ore and then fly home. I don't want mutinies to be an issue, so I think I'll try to include a largish 'recreation' area for the workers. LoL

Reactions: Scypio
    Reaction score
    Ever have one of those moments where you realize you've screwed up a ship, and it would be easier to start over than to try and remodel the one you've got?
    Yeah... So the above model was disassembled, with all of the best pieces saved to templates. (The forge, the rooms, the logic display Hud, all the cool stuff).
    Time to start at square 1.

This is a Hrolfsson Logic Core. Just about every logic based function that I can build into a ship is set up in this grey box. Unfortunately, this is what ended up being "broken" in the ship above. And when your ship's brain craps out, it's really just better to start over. In the ship I initially posted, the main computer would sometimes get confused and end up sending you hurtling through space via warp. If you weren't sitting or in the core, well then it just sucked to be you! LoL

Luckily, this actually lead to some significant improvements! I managed to cut down the size of the new Logic Core by about 2/3rds. Here you can see the original model on the right and the new design on the left. I removed the cargo container sensor. I may or may not add it back in, but I've been doing some reading on the topic of cargo containers and I'm not sure if they're the most efficient way to go. It's easy to remake in any case.
    This also allows me to actually start from the beginning and show you how I assemble ships!

I also get to show off a bit of what said ship will be capable of once I finally upload it. This is a maintenance corridor near the ship core. (In the back of that Logic Core box pictured above). I took this before I added the pipes and decorative panels, so I'll have to update the pic when I get a chance. This corridor is basically the back end of the computer. This is where everything links up to the sensors, controls, and the internal chronometer. This panel full of logic here controls the emergency backup shield, the Red Alert system, and the Chain Drive. (Which, thank the gods, I managed to fix!)

You can now go to the main terminal and enter the command {SPOOL WARP COIL}. This will cause the Chain Drive to charge BUT it will not actually engage unless you enter the ship core and use the inner ship remote. This means that you can significantly cut down the amount of time you spend waiting around when you want to take off and GO.
    It also means that you don't need to worry about your ship flying off without you, or shooting you into a star without warning.

So this will be the hub of just about every one of my ships. By starting off with this common core, I can ensure that I have uniform, functional logic capabilities in every build even when the ships may vary drastically in size, shape, and purpose. :)

Now! On to the interior! I'll update this thread once I've got some of those important rooms and hallways back in place!

Reactions: Scypio
    Reaction score
    Sometimes a setback can lead to awesome improvements! I've built a cargo storage area, copied the refinery from the old ship over to the new one, and completely remade the crew quarters.

Starting from the core room, if you take the (now fully operational) elevator down one floor, you'll find the "production/factory" floor.

This is where we find the recently imported and improved refinery, with an open doorway leading to the cargo hold. The cargo hold is honestly super boring. The only decoration in there is some ventilation. (Honestly, it's a cargo hold. It's not supposed to be super exciting. LoL)

If you take the elevator the other way, you'll find the VASTLY IMPROVED crew quarters. I included name tags by the doors just for fun, though this can obviously be easily adjusted by anyone who downloads the ship.

^That, right there, is why building the interior first is such a useful way to build. When you can fit your ship around the interior rooms rather than the other way around, you don't have to pinch things in quite as often. It allows for a much greater degree of creative freedom.

Reaction score
    Templates are amazing. My only complaint is that they seem really hit or miss when it comes to logic. Sometimes logic connections or display text copy over. Other times they're all erased.
    That's why the logic core is a blueprint and not a template. :)

I'm glad everybody likes the rebuild. The original had the Logic Core and then the mining array and frame, with the rooms being fit in around those. Works MUCH better the other way around!

If you guys have any thoughts or tips, I'm always open to ideas or constructive criticism. I'm also interested in seeing what kinds of functions people would like to see from the central computer.
    Right now the Logic Core controls:
    Red Alert
    Emergency Backup Shield
    Chain Drive*
    *-Can deactivate the rail clock
    *-Can put the drive in charge mode so that the jump computers will charge up, but CANNOT fire without using the internal ship remote.
    HUD pilot display- right now all this does is tell you the current percentage of the emergency backup shield.

Planned functions:
    Lockdown- interior force fields to slow down intruders.

What other functions do you all think could be added to this system which would be practical and useful aboard a mining vessel?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I did just a little more interior work, but with the plans I'm using there comes a point when I need at least part of the hull in place before I can proceed.

In particular, the HUD. This was my very favorite piece from the previous model, and I'm happy to see it fits well. (Love it when plan comes together!)

And here's the last chunk of the old build, framing the space where the mining lasers will go. That's also the other part of why the last build wasn't working out. After a lot of research on salvage beams and efficiency, I've decided that the best median of power usage, barrel length, and mining speed is Sal/Beam.

With those variables in mind, I designed the new ship to fit a shorter, broader mining array.

Let me know what you think of the greeble on the front. I made it for another vessel, and I'm not sure how I feel about it here.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Scypio and Gasboy
    Reaction score
    With the required outer walls taken care of, I felt it was time to build in some important elements of functionality.

For Example: Automatic gravity! Every time you step onto or off of the elevator, your gravity is reestablished. No clicking required.

I also added a handy automatic door from the Core Room to the HUD, which comes with so many warning labels that it would take serious force of will to miss them all.

Case and point. Nothing says "welcome" like hazard stripes and angry red door lights. There will also (eventually) be floating caution signs along with an "Authorized Personel Only" warning.

The biggest new addition was the Airlock, and it is a proper airlock, not just a USD (though it does conform to those standards.)

Externally, it looks pretty much like a USD, but I like to put my own twist on things. The doors are automated, responding to the presence of a ship or astronaut. If you are docked to another ship, both doors open automatically and instantly. If not, there's an animated compression cycle. Green means the airlock is pressurized and the internal doors can be opened or closed at will but the external doors are locked. Red means it's depressurized and the opposite configuration is true.

All of this happens automatically and without the use of buttons. just walk through, wait for the flashing lights to end and the color to change, then move forward. Simple as that. The lockout button is on the interior archway leading to the airlock if you'd rather avoid guests. :)

Reaction score
    PROGRESS!
    By now all of the particularly important internal areas have been completed, with a little wiggle room for either further expansion, systems, or cargo storage. Before I could really add any of the other planned systems (Anti Missile turrets, escape pods, and possibly Cargo pods or mining drones) I needed more of the hull in place.

It's always cool when a ship reaches the point where you can kind of recognize what it's going to look like once it's complete.
    I'm debating putting a rail door on this side to extract and replace a damaged Backup Shield module if necessary.

It wouldn't be a proper company ship if it didn't have the logo, amiright? For anybody wondering about the choice of logo, it's two Younger Futhark runes. G and H. Giermund Hrolfsson, a famous Viking and merchant who helped settle Iceland and was known to be one of the richest men on the island nation. Hence, Hrolfsson Heavy Industries.
    As you can see, I also finally got around to the engines!

I am WAY more proud of these than I should be. LoL. I am bloody awful at engine design, and these took a lot of research, effort, and experimentation to get these to this point. That said, as always, I'm totally open to advice or criticism regarding design aesthetic. If you know of a way to improve them, or particularly like some element of the design, let me know!

Reaction score
    Beautiful engines. Don't be so hard on yourself :P
    Thank you! :)

These are the nicest ones I've ever designed by quite a large margin. I'm pretty happy with how they came out. Particularly the semi-natural variations in the colors of the thrusters. That was a happy accident.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The general idea is beautiful, i would recommend adding more depth however inside, for example making the inside walls thicker the further inside.

Personally im not a fan of the grates. They look added ontop wich makes the thrusters loose the impression of a powerful engine.
    I do like the middle bit, makes it look like a aurora turbine if it weren't for the grates.

Maybe add fuel tanks of a more unique shape with pipeleines into the thrusters to give it a more industrial look? would fill the void in between the thrusters well i think.

I like the color scheme, maybe add black/gray protective plates in a bigger radius around them with conical shapes? if you use basic hull it might have not too big of a mass impact.

Structural depth pleases the eye and gives the whole thing a realistic feel.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Stormraven
    Reaction score
    The general idea is beautiful, i would recommend adding more depth however inside, for example making the inside walls thicker the further inside.

Personally im not a fan of the grates. They look added ontop wich makes the thrusters loose the impression of a powerful engine.
    I do like the middle bit, makes it look like a aurora turbine if it weren't for the grates.

Maybe add fuel tanks of a more unique shape with pipeleines into the thrusters to give it a more industrial look? would fill the void in between the thrusters well i think.

I like the color scheme, maybe add black/gray protective plates in a bigger radius around them with conical shapes? if you use basic hull it might have not too big of a mass impact.

Structural depth pleases the eye and gives the whole thing a realistic feel.
    When. You said 'make the walls thicker the further inside' did you mean the engines or the interior of the ship?

Reaction score
    I meant the inside of the Thruster walls.
    Ah. Hmmm... That might be doable. I've got wedges forming 45 degree rifling in there right now, which might be hard to keep if I want to vary the interior thickness. I'll have to play around with it. I like the idea. I also LOVE the idea about the fuel tanks. That's a brilliant plan.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    maybe if u make the first layer untilted without wedges and make it a bit thicker with the second layer inwardtilted with wedges and tetras towards the inside that way you should be able to keep the rifling.

then again it might bee too much, other idea to add depth is to make a ring inside the thruster and slide the inner part inwards like (outer wall(thruster(inner ring(inner thruster)inner ring)thruster)outer wall) you might need to adjust the size of the middle part though.