A way to improve performance

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just want to start off by saying I love this game and it has great potential. With that said I also think its pretty cool that the astroid's and planets move, but I think that is also where alot of the performance issues stem from. With the fact that the game has to track each planet as it moves as well as each astroid I think that its not really needed for them to move. I think it would improve alot of the performance issues that people have. What do you all think?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can turn asteroid and planet movement off in the config.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I agree. It is a really neat feature... In theory. In the game though it makes large ships appear to fall away from you when you buy them at a shop and makes planets hard to find since it is constantly moving.

Reaction score
    \"You can turn asteroid and planet movement off in the config.\"

Reaction score
    Planets are not movable. They stay locked place and orientation in the sector they occupy. The \"movement\" is a trick schema was using by rotating the sector grid, which had no impact on performance. This is being changed to alleviate navigation issues players have experienced, so now only a sector containing a planet will \"spin\" this removes the simulated planet orbits, but retains the day/night cycle of the planets. Asteroid physics was asked for and added as an option (players can bump asteroids around if this is enabled.) Asteroids do not move around on their own, so again, they do not impact performance unless a player enables asteroid physics and then also bumps an asteroid.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It sounds to me like you\'re kind of speculating here shadow.

the astroid\'s and planets move, but I think that is also where alot of the performance issues stem from. With the fact that the game has to track each planet as it moves as well as each astroid I think that its not really needed for them to move. I think it would improve alot of the performance issues that people have.

What exactly is your source for this information? Do you check the game\'s console log to see if this is the feature that is causing the performance drop?

The planets and asteroids aren\'t actually moving; the sectors themselves are what\'s moving. You can turn off this star system rotation in the server config.

Your argument also applies equally to all entities; So even if it was true, it wouldn\'t be the planets and asteroids that are causing the lag, it\'d be also the ships, the space stations, the shops, the pirate bases, anything that shows up on the navigation menu. All entities are affected by system rotation when its turned on.

I\'ve been here for a while and I while I don\'t know the inner workings of the game anywhere near as well as Calbiri does, I can make an educated guess that physics and chunk loading are the two big things that slow down the game.