A restaurant. It has to happen.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    of course it actually is a physical cube in-game, but if you were looking at interactions from a natural sciences standpoint
    Natural sciences? There is no nature here! This universe is the fever dream of the mad-god Schema, who sprang fully formed from the forehead of Euclid with a code-base in one hand and a core block in the other.

Reaction score
    Only thing I could think of when watching that video was that one, random sun that appeared to be in the void beyond the "great barrier". He looked right at it and I'm curious what would happen if you flew to it.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Only thing I could think of when watching that video was that one, random sun that appeared to be in the void beyond the "great barrier". He looked right at it and I'm curious what would happen if you flew to it.
    Nothing afaik. There are no more sector boundries past the barrier, so you can't get closer to that suns sector.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You compare it to Minecraft; in Minecraft, the game runs worse and worse the further out anyone is. As long as the edge of its calculation has been loaded and 'attempted', the entire game starts to become buggy, and any number generation starts to get screwy (as in Minecraft, the land generation and RNG are closely related.)

Encouraging players to go this far out in Starmade might be a terrible idea, assuming it would create the same types of problems.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Encouraging players to go this far out in Starmade might be a terrible idea, assuming it would create the same types of problems.
    ... and thus, the restaurant. Here is my actual suggestion: (hear me, Schine!)

Throw in an in-game navigational error-trapping routine. If the absolute value of any sector coordinate value is equal to or greater than (2^32)/5, then trigger a warp-jump effect to a blank sector with the restaurant-station.
    Exiting that sector, triggers a warp-jump effect to a random sector within the cubical universe. For extra coolness, ensure that the sum of the coordinates to which you are delivered is "42".

Edit: Or...easier. Maybe just set the outer boundary sectors of the universe cube to always spawn a wormhole that leads you to a specific sector (randomly selected on universe generation) And let players build a restaurant there if they want to.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jumper11550
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I am sure I'm just being buzz kill, but I'd feel irresponsible to not simply say that we as a community can't be asking Schine for things like that, and also spur them for significant mechanical and optimization improvements.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am sure I'm just being buzz kill, but I'd feel irresponsible to not simply say that we as a community can't be asking Schine for things like that, and also spur them for significant mechanical and optimization improvements.
    I think we can actually... as long as we understand that we're just supplying ideas and Schema sets the priorities. When developing there is the meat and potatoes hard work of coding the serious stuff, but sometimes you've got to focus elsewhere to clear your mind. If a Restaurant at the end of the Universe makes Schema laugh and catches his imagination. If it's silly enough to add extra fun to his job, who are we to argue?

I prefer my games to be programmed by laughing, happy people who are enjoying themselves, not just grinding out features to the will of the mob.

Reactions: Jumper11550

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    now we're gettin' somewhere
    YES! THIS! THIS SO MUCH!

It has the look of an end of space restaurant, especially the room building to the right.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    got the sign finished up and re-positioned, and most of the moving floors are installed. lobby and shuttle dock are left to sculpt out, but i can get going on interior and chandelier-ing soon.
    DUDE! WOW!... Just wow.

Reactions: plusnine
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

added in the dirt layer, finished out the walkways and doors, finished out the shuttle docks / reception area. i can finally move on to interior and furnishings!