A restaurant. It has to happen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I watched a video today. A guy was exploring and thought about how at a certain distance minecraft started getting freaky. He decided to look for that distance in Starmade.

I posted that to a stream (toasterborst) and they went out and explored it. it is a confirmed fact.

Since there is now a confirmed end of the universe, it should be coded into the game to have a restaurant station out there. We would literally be the game with a restaurant at the end of the universe.
    Douglas Adams would be proud.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    We would literally be the game with a restaurant at the end of the universe.
    I had started on a milliways to go with my heart of gold a while back, but after an update, i could no longer keep players aligned to my first rotating restaurant, i sort of gave up on the project. i had a nice hunk a flattened asteroid pre-smedit'd for it and everything.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    That's pretty awesome. Instant escape to the opposite end of the universe.

Reactions: Super_Dork_42
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Wonder if you can build a station in the void.....

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, if when you initiate jump you get warped to the exact other side of the universe, then logically, the star made universe is actually spherical in shape. If you are at the "top" and the jump drive brings you to the "bottom", or "left brings you to the "right" of our abstract coordinate system of this universe, then the true shape of the universe is that of a ball, and you are merely passing some datum line. Like going from longitude of 359 degrees to longitude of 0. You are still heading in the same direction, but you have "restarted" in the coordinates sense, because they are an abstract way of organizing our world.

Now, we will need to do further testing to find out if the curvature is convex or concave, AKA if we are on the inside of the sphere (umm, think of halo) or the outside of the sphere (like we are on earth).

I for one think this is very cool, and appreciate the quirks and oddities that let us explore further into the starmade universe.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Rather than spawning the restaurant in 1, 1, 2147483647 or something like that, it could dynamically spawn in the sector you're in when you reach the end of the universe.

Being able to warp to the other side of the universe is pretty awesome - I hope it never gets bug-fixed out, unless it's replaced by something better.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    A Starmade universe has a volume of about 170 billion suns. That's more than the number of stars we think are in the Milky Way.

Reactions: PizzaPress

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, if when you initiate jump you get warped to the exact other side of the universe, then logically, the star made universe is actually spherical in shape. If you are at the "top" and the jump drive brings you to the "bottom", or "left brings you to the "right" of our abstract coordinate system of this universe, then the true shape of the universe is that of a ball, and you are merely passing some datum line. Like going from longitude of 359 degrees to longitude of 0. You are still heading in the same direction, but you have "restarted" in the coordinates sense, because they are an abstract way of organizing our world.

Now, we will need to do further testing to find out if the curvature is convex or concave, AKA if we are on the inside of the sphere (umm, think of halo) or the outside of the sphere (like we are on earth).

I for one think this is very cool, and appreciate the quirks and oddities that let us explore further into the starmade universe.
    It's a cube.

Reactions: Jumper11550
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's a hypercube, a 4th dimensional geometric figure, since it contains an X, a Y, and a Z, and yet all axes are looped at their "maximums," allowing for a 4th dimension of movement.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    It is a rectangular 4th dimensional body. The loopback occurrs whenever either X, Y or Z reach (2^31)-1 or -(2^31). The loopback itself is actually just an integer overflow.
    (I know, but if you ignored that bit of coding and were looking at it from an astronomical standpoint, instead of a coding standpoint... of course it actually is a physical cube in-game, but if you were looking at interactions from a natural sciences standpoint, the shape would resemble a sphere)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    (I know, but if you ignored that bit of coding and were looking at it from an astronomical standpoint, instead of a coding standpoint... of course it actually is a physical cube in-game, but if you were looking at interactions from a natural sciences standpoint, the shape would resemble a sphere)
    In that case, 3*((2^31)-1) = (2^31)-1 , which isn't true :P
    Unless you are suggesting, that sectors along XYZ are smaller, than sectors along X, Y, or Z, which I also doubt.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    In that case, 3*((2^31)-1) = (2^31)-1 , which isn't true :p
    Unless you are suggesting, that sectors along XYZ are smaller, than sectors along X, Y, or Z, which I also doubt.
    Stap poking the theory that falls apart when you poke it! xD

The only piece of evidence that I have is that you are teleported to the other side of the universe when you attempt to jump at that point.
    And that the curvature is to vast for our minds to comprehend. Now I don't know if it is positive or negative curvature, but ah well.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    x := { a ∊ ℤ | 0 ≤ a < x }
    ∀ a,b ∊ ℤx , a +x b := (a+b) mod x
    ( ℤx , +x ) is a group
    It doesn't necessarily mean that there is a curvature, it only means, that the structure loops. I think what we have here is isomorph to (ℤx)³ with x = 2^32.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sorry to tell you all this, but Milliways, the restaurant at the end of the universe, isn't at any physical location in the known universe. It's at the end meaning when it's all over, not at one end or another. Here's a quote for you;

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Universe as we know it has now been in existence for over one hundred and seventy thousand million billion years and will be ending in a little over half an hour. So, welcome one and all to Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!"
    Max Quordlepleen's introduction at Milliways

Time travel savy diners could book a table at Milliways and witness the end of time and space was we know it while they dine, and never have to fear being blinked out of existence themselves because the restaurant (or the asteroid it's built on) is in a perpetual time loop that relives the last few hours of the universe. Once they've had their meal, and watched the fireworks of the universe ending, they would return back to their own time while the staff sets up for the next round of diners.

Many of the facts surrounding the restaurant are plainly impossible. This is why the advertising executives of the star system of Bastablon came up with this slogan: :"If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
    Hitchiker's Wikia
    So unless Starmade starts including some straight up Doctor Who logic (mind you being able to build an actual TARDIS would make my millenium) we probably won't be seeing Milliways in the way it was meant to be according to Douglas Adams.

But don't let this stop you from building a resturant at the "edge" of the universe and calling it whatever you want.

Reaction score
    That wraparound, whoa.
    I watched a video today. A guy was exploring and thought about how at a certain distance minecraft started getting freaky. He decided to look for that distance in Starmade.

I posted that to a stream (toasterborst) and they went out and explored it. it is a confirmed fact.

Since there is now a confirmed end of the universe, it should be coded into the game to have a restaurant station out there. We would literally be the game with a restaurant at the end of the universe.
    I wondered about this before.
    I wonder how the game reacts if you impulse at insane speed to the last sector's own "end of the universe". I guess it wouldn't have any interesting generation bugs though, with nothing to generate.
    Also, that is the perfect music for this.
    (What is it?)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sorry to tell you all this, but Milliways, the restaurant at the end of the universe, isn't at any physical location in the known universe. It's at the end meaning when it's all over, not at one end or another. Here's a quote for you;
    We all know, and we don't care. It's just a fun reference.