A question on L-shaped grav tube detection location

Reaction score
    I lurve gravity elevators. Up down bidirectional no problem.

I have a working L-shaped tube as well, but with a catch. You have to be standing exactly on the center of the floor before hitting the activator in order to make sure you catch the detection blocks at the turn because I could not come up with any way to place more than a single detection block that didn't lead to multiple triggers getting tripped.

Vertical to horizontal I put the detector on the middle of the floor. Horizontal to vertical I first throw the player at the ceiling (so they won't hit the floor trigger for the other direction), and then have that trigger in the middle of the wall that the player 'falls' into. Like I said, it works as long as you stand in the center of the tube. I'd like to be able to have a bit more error tolerance in my turns, so I'm asking if anyone has come up with a better way to handle detection in the corners.

I'm using the 3x3 tube shape (wedges in the corners), btw.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i use a similar design for my gravity tubes. wedges and all and i found that theres no way of avoiding having multiple area triggers going off.

for the turns just cover the opening with area triggers

Reaction score
    i use a similar design for my gravity tubes. wedges and all and i found that theres no way of avoiding having multiple area triggers going off.

for the turns just cover the opening with area triggers
    The opening just before the turn for the triggers that will make that turn? Doesn't that screw up when you hit the second set of triggers, or make you turn one block too soon?

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Assuming you have a 3x3x3 tube, this works everytime without fail, although you do need 9 trigger blocks per turn and you should cut back on wedges.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    First, thanks all for the replies so far.

Thalanor, that's easy to do for one way tubes. My tube is bi-directional.

It works now. Just requires you to stand in the middle of the platform. Was hoping there was a way to make it more fault resistant.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Assuming you have a 3x3x3 tube, this works everytime without fail, although you do need 9 trigger blocks per turn and you should cut back on wedges.

What did you use to make that diagram? Paint? I want to make diagrams like that! Easy to read and understand!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I built gravity tube system with 4 exit points, each point can take you directly to each other point no matter of it's X,Y,Z location. Tube is only 2x2 wide.
    Starting locations are 2x2 square "holes" 1 block deep, 4 floor blocks are 4 different colors, each marks to where you want to travel(3 of them are for going away, 4th is arrival point of that location). You stand on the block you want to travel to and walk to it's corner to make sure you are ONLY standing on that block. You turn on gravity and you fall exactly on your ship where you wanted to(in to 4th aka. arrival point of a different start location).
    So obviously in my 2x2 tube each 1x1 column of air takes you to different location. Building tube corners and intersections for such system requires a lot of thoughtfullness, but is possible.