Implemented A new block (Decoration)

Reaction score
    I came to think of a new block just for appearance and to make interior look better.

Simply a block with a fan on each side of it with a spinning animation.
    Just to make things look more alive inside a ship or a station.

Sorry if this has been suggested before.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I came to think of a new block just for appearance and to make interior look better.

:) This one is already on my list.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    It's not a bad idea to be honest especially since it would take just 1 measly block ID. On the flip side though, it's easy to make larger fan lookalikes with blocks and grills, albeit standstill. I always support miniaturization and more deco though, so +1.

Edit:
    :) This one is already on my list.
    Looks like the coloring dev has spoken. Awesome.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I normally put shield capacitors (The yellow block with the rotating animation, versus the orange shield generator block with the linear animation) behind all my internal grills, to simulate fans. It's a little brightly colored to be a fan, but I consider that "safety yellow".

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I normally put shield capacitors (The yellow block with the rotating animation, versus the orange shield generator block with the linear animation) behind all my internal grills, to simulate fans. It's a little brightly colored to be a fan, but I consider that "safety yellow".
    I tried this myself but wasn't happy with the results. Now I just stick black hull behind the vent to make it look like its deeper.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I tried this myself but wasn't happy with the results. Now I just stick black hull behind the vent to make it look like its deeper.
    I can understand what you mean, so I'm careful not to put light near my vents. That way, the shield "fans" are just barely visible, and won't really register unless you look closely. I can definitely see black hull creating the illusion of a deep tunnel.

If we get a fan deco block, I think it would be neat to get 8 colors of an "infinite tunnel" deco image block, and maybe the image could show a light at the end of the tunnel. Something like this:

By the way, Sven, your avatar is rather... fan-like. Any thoughts of donating a 4-frame rotation animation to the game? (Just a thought....)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    By the way, Sven, your avatar is rather... fan-like. Any thoughts of donating a 4-frame rotation animation to the game? (Just a thought....)
    It's actually a mitsudomoe symbol combined with a bio-hazard symbol. Besides Kupu is a far better artist than I so his fan would be much better.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm curious if it would be possible that placing these blocks together would expand the fan effect. For instance:
    B = block

BBB
    BBB = A large 3x3 fan, instead of 9 singular fans. Then ships could have large ventilation systems without a ton of tiny little fans.
    BBB

Obviously, this would only look right in square groups, and not long rectangles. Is this possible kupu ?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm curious if it would be possible that placing these blocks together would expand the fan effect. For instance:
    B = block

BBB
    BBB = A large 3x3 fan, instead of 9 singular fans. Then ships could have large ventilation systems without a ton of tiny little fans.
    BBB

Obviously, this would only look right in square groups, and not long rectangles. Is this possible kupu ?
    Does Starmade have that ability? If so that would be awesome.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I know that Minecraft was able to have special connected textures, but that was through either Optifine or MCPatcher. I'm sure it's doable, because it's java, but it might be more difficult because Starmade is different.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It wouldn't be hard to scale a texture to a larger face. The problem is what to do with irregular shapes.

Please provide ideas for how to regularly handle these examples:

BB
    BB
    BBB

BB
    BBB
    BBB

B
    BB
    BBB

BBB
    BB
    B

I wonder if it would be possible to let the builder select their own texture scale size for the group, so they can make a block group look the way they want. (For instance, with example 2 above, the 3x3 with a corner missing, I could pick either a 2x2 scale or a 3x3 scale. In the case of a 3x3 scale, the missing corner part of the texture simply wouldn't appear, because there wouldn't be a visible surface in the block group to project it on.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It wouldn't be hard to scale a texture to a larger face. The problem is what to do with irregular shapes.

Please provide ideas for how to regularly handle these examples:

BB
    BB
    BBB

BB
    BBB
    BBB

B
    BB
    BBB

BBB
    BB
    B

I wonder if it would be possible to let the builder select their own texture scale size for the group, so they can make a block group look the way they want. (For instance, with example 2 above, the 3x3 with a corner missing, I could pick either a 2x2 scale or a 3x3 scale. In the case of a 3x3 scale, the missing corner part of the texture simply wouldn't appear, because there wouldn't be a visible surface in the block group to project it on.
    Auto-assigning a square when it fits probably, starting from the top left. I think that would be fine, actually think it would look good (first example would be a 2x2 followed by 3 1x1s).

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9

I did a little test animation of a fan using 4 frames of animation...... lol yes it is crude, but with the proper amount of blades 4 frames of animation can look quite amazing :)