a more realistic way to dock Turrets

Reaction score
    I think the current Turret Docking system is kinda flawed.
    Shooting off Turrets from larger ships almost always creates heavy Lag due to the collision system.

i would like to see something like this:

- Turret docking Point not physical (and for the docking parts a non physical Docker wich only works with Turret docking point)
    - Turrets movement speed not bound to Rail Mass enhancers
    - A "joint" block that can be connected to the docking points. this will be physical blocks which will determine how fast a turret can spin.
    - A "Joint extension" block that could allow 2 sided joints for Barrels (like the dockers non physical)
    ---------------- must be placed in straight line from Docker surface to work and must be connected to docker
    ---------------- must be connected to the same shape/ammount of joints the docker has.

example:
    (Turret Base)

(Barrel Dock)

how this could work:
    - the "joints" should have to be placed in flat circular plates around the dockers and joint extenders.
    - they would serve as mass limmitters for 100% Turn Speed of the Turrets like the rail mass enhancers did.
    - they would also serve as Shield/Power transfer points (only from mothership up the chain)

To prevent really small turrets like AMS from being invulnerable in the sence of performance or to need to be "bigger":

instead of making the "dockers" non physical, they could leave a non physical ghost of themselves when destroyed, that the turret does not get detatched but gets unable to moove if there are no "joint" blocks supporting it.
    the dockers would then have additional to the normal funktion the same funktion the "joint" blocks have.

effects of this:
    - Turrets could no longer be shot off a ship (because of non physical dockers) heavyly reducing lag.
    - Destroying the "joint" blocks would then reduce the Turrets Performance:
    ----- Reduction of Movement speed scaling to % of destroyed joints
    ----- Reduction of Shield strenght/recharg rate of the Turrets shielding
    ----- Reduction of e/s transfered to Turret
    - Destruction of the lowest Trurret part or even the Mothership should cause destruction of all Turret parts up the chain. not leaving them floating in space.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    Adding this to the Starting Post:

To prevent really small turrets like AMS from being invulnerable in the sence of performance or to need to be "bigger":

instead of making the "dockers" non physical, they could leave a non physical ghost of themselves when destroyed, that the turret does not get detatched but gets unable to moove if there are no "joint" blocks supporting it.
    the dockers would then have additional to the normal funktion the same funktion the "joint" blocks have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Before rails they used to have something similar to this.

Reaction score
    Before rails they used to have something similar to this.
    no they did not.

the "OLD" system was nothing like this. not even remotely.

see it like that:
    it would be like the rail mass enhancers you formerly needed to place anywhere to let your turret move on its full capabilities would in this system specifically tied and placed on the Turret Axis and would only support the ones they tied to.
    so if destroyed the turret would get slower and slower.... until it gets incapable of moving.
    to make the dockers kind of indestruktible would just remove the heavy lag coused by loads of half destroyed turrets that try to dislodge themselves from the main ship.

the old Dock your "Ship" Turret in a "Box", where it can spin around as it likes, has nothing to do with this proposal.
    more so in this suggestion turrets would become more like parts of the Main ship than detachable entities wich i think is more like a turret should be.

perhaps its wierd but i think that a turret with a few hundred blocks should not be reliable on one single block to be atatched to a ship... and even if so it should stop working and not fall of the ship...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Oh I see what your getting at. It would be easier to simply make rail pieces indestructible. After they take a certain amount of damage they would simply stop drawing or delivering power and weapons fire would go through them. They could still be removed in build mode but would keep their docking relationships in a combat situation.

Reaction score
    yea that would bea easyer i suppose :)

i thought more in ways of managable and realistic ^^
    the bigger your Turret the bigger the "hinges" (dont know if its the right word ^^ english is not my 1st language)

and if only the docking points would be indestructible but stop working after taking damage the freaking biggest turret would still be useless after taking one hit on the right spot.