A Mod that changes beam colors.

Do you want to see different colored beams?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    That's all I want. If I knew how to do it I'd do it myself, but I don't so here we are. I just want something other than boring white beams for everything. Maybe red beams for AMCs, blue for docking, and green for salvage. If someone wants to do this (or tell me how to do it) it would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
    Its going to happen no matter what yo say or do. The lowest form possible is that enemy shots will be turned red, friendly is green, and neutral is blue.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Sure giving each player the ability to control the particle effect on any given weapon is a bad idea but I can't see a color slider in the weapons computer being a performance issue.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Sure giving each player the ability to control the particle effect on any given weapon is a bad idea but I can't see a color slider in the weapons computer being a performance issue.
    no. anybody can make the effects and share them. Admins will approve the best ones. There are colour sliders in the video I showed. I only demonstrate smoke effects, but there will be more. of course ;D

Reaction score
    no. anybody can make the effects and share them. Admins will approve the best ones. There are colour sliders in the video I showed. I only demonstrate smoke effects, but there will be more. of course ;D
    Well, it's a little more complex than that.

The particle editor, while exciting and the foundation for many fun mods to come (rainbow lasers anyone?), serves the very important role of allowing me to design default weapon effects that are:
    1. Gorgeous
    2. Easy on performance
    3. Distinguishable from each other
    I know colorable weapons fire is something a lot of people request, so it would be delightful to have as an actual ingame feature. (Which admins could toggle off on a server if they didn't like it, of course.) Otherwise, client-side particle system modification is unavoidable, while server-side modification transmitted to connecting clients is definitely a desirable feature.

Particle effects designed by modders may be interesting, but are less likely to have careful optimization done to assure performance remains steady on ALL systems. The default weapon effects of the base game need to be consistent and efficient. My hope is to offer a good variety of particle detail settings, allowing weaker computers to still play the game and allowing insane gaming rigs to tell StarMade to throw particles around as much as possible. It'll be my job to balance all this into something you can seamlessly experience ingame regardless of how good your computer is. (Working on particle systems is one of the things I love most.)

After that... well, if you want to mod AMCs or pistol shots to look like beam weapons from Star Wars, be my guest, haha. The more community creativity, the better. :)

tl;dr: I make lasers and explosions.

Reactions: Iskandar
    Reaction score
    Well, it's a little more complex than that.

The particle editor, while exciting and the foundation for many fun mods to come (rainbow lasers anyone?), serves the very important role of allowing me to design default weapon effects that are:
    1. Gorgeous
    2. Easy on performance
    3. Distinguishable from each other
    I know colorable weapons fire is something a lot of people request, so it would be delightful to have as an actual ingame feature. (Which admins could toggle off on a server if they didn't like it, of course.) Otherwise, client-side particle system modification is unavoidable, while server-side modification transmitted to connecting clients is definitely a desirable feature.

Particle effects designed by modders may be interesting, but are less likely to have careful optimization done to assure performance remains steady on ALL systems. The default weapon effects of the base game need to be consistent and efficient. My hope is to offer a good variety of particle detail settings, allowing weaker computers to still play the game and allowing insane gaming rigs to tell StarMade to throw particles around as much as possible. It'll be my job to balance all this into something you can seamlessly experience ingame regardless of how good your computer is. (Working on particle systems is one of the things I love most.)

After that... well, if you want to mod AMCs or pistol shots to look like beam weapons from Star Wars, be my guest, haha. The more community creativity, the better. :)

tl;dr: I make lasers and explosions.
    Sounds good, can't wait to see em all!

Reaction score
    I'd also like beam and particle weapons, not just these boring pew-pew lasers

Reaction score
    I'd also like beam and particle weapons, not just these boring pew-pew lasers
    Well, that'll come with the new weapons system being implemented. Beam weapons are instant travel. (Like an actual laser.) Mix them together and you get plenty of variations. Here was the old graph from the first news article about it:

In other words, trust me, you'll have plenty of new fancy things to play with. If you want lasers or want big explosive projectiles (rather than little pew-pew projectiles, as you put it), you'll have that option. ;) The game is sorely lacking in epic explosions at the moment, which is something I plan to change with the new particle systems.

Personally? Looking forward to rapid cannons, charge lasers and swarm missiles. Not because I expect them to be abnormally strong/overpowered, just because I think they'd fit my play style. :) Of course, experimenting with all different kinds of weapon types will be amazingly fun. Long range weapons ought to be quite fun... heheheh.

Reactions: Elit3
    Reaction score
    Well, that'll come with the new weapons system being implemented. Beam weapons are instant travel. (Like an actual laser.) Mix them together and you get plenty of variations. Here was the old graph from the first news article about it:

In other words, trust me, you'll have plenty of new fancy things to play with. If you want lasers or want big explosive projectiles (rather than little pew-pew projectiles, as you put it), you'll have that option. ;) The game is sorely lacking in epic explosions at the moment, which is something I plan to change with the new particle systems.

Personally? Looking forward to rapid cannons, charge lasers and swarm missiles. Not because I expect them to be abnormally strong/overpowered, just because I think they'd fit my play style. :) Of course, experimenting with all different kinds of weapon types will be amazingly fun. Long range weapons ought to be quite fun... heheheh.
    This is cool, and defiantly a lot better weapons choice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I know, I've seen it twice. But that doesn't mean what I said is any less true.
    thats spam there is no reason you put that comment

btw that shouldn't be a hard thing to mod i think in the game

Reaction score
    thats spam there is no reason you put that comment

btw that shouldn't be a hard thing to mod i think in the game

So the particular recipient (who happens to be a member of the team, to which the communities thought are valued) knows what I think of this. I may have seen it twice, but each comment about it have been constructive, not abusive.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Testkil and Elit3, please keep your comments on topic. Thanks.

Not to be on-topic myself... *Ahem* I like the direction that Schine has been taking things lately, and this is a prime example of that. Instead of coding in specific features and only appealing to those who wanted those specific features, one could create frameworks and foundations so that nearly anyone could turn the game into whatever they want.

Oh, and yes, I agree with custom particle effects being a server-side thing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Testkil and Elit3, please keep your comments on topic. Thanks.

Not to be on-topic myself... *Ahem* I like the direction that Schine has been taking things lately, and this is a prime example of that. Instead of coding in specific features and only appealing to those who wanted those specific features, one could create frameworks and foundations so that nearly anyone could turn the game into whatever they want.

Oh, and yes, I agree with custom particle effects being a server-side thing.
    This right here is why StarMade is going to be the best game ever. Right here folks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd rather the custom particle effects be client side. First, there's no need to transmit them to the client. Second, it means that if I have a gaming rig and I want to have awesome particle effects that would bluescreen a normal computer immediately, I can, and if I have just a laptop, I can also play on the same server as the guy with the gaming rig, and we can both enjoy it. No need for a server admin to try to get a balance between effect and performance for all users.

Also, will the particle effects allow particles along beams or custom thruster particle effects?