A list of block ideas

Reaction score
    Hello, this is a list I have compiled that include some blocks that might help some people with their ships.
    Most of them have been suggested, I am only compiling then, and I will add more. I also know that some of them are already planned.

-darkened glass: hardened glass for RP purposes. Maybe with metal edge reinforcement?
    -wall block/metal plating: thin panels that allow people to build small ships without worrying too much about interior space. applies to glass and darkened glass too
    -chairs: chairs beds cockpits all of that magic
    -hologram blocks: displays a 1-block hologram of your ship
    -ladders
    -stairs
    -truss blocks: decoration purposes, could also look cool en masse
    -lightbulbs: (yes I know there are already a lot of lights) small 3~4 pixel LEDs that stick to the side of blocks
    -antennas: rods of steel. Color optional. could also help in future when people implement systems
    -solar panels: comes in panels and blocks. provides power?
    -greeble blocks: you know, for detailing. could also look cool
    -searchlights: like a torch, but in space.
    -hinges: you know for blast doors and turrets
    -more "old fashioned" materials: bricks wood rusted steel. RP purposes. could also have good economic value.

I will be adding your suggestions. and yes I do know this is probably at the bottom of the to-do.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    lightbulps: maybe possible with resource-injection system on interior blocks.

stairs: would be ramps with stair-texture. You can do it yourself by adding a custom block texture and some blockConfig.xml lines.
    Antennas: just use turned off light rods for now. You can make it.

ladders, truss: +1

But you need transparent blocks which show faces from the inside if you want hollow 3D blocks with their back-side visible.
    Thus ladders will likely be hulls with a different texture or something like PlexLifters.

Solar Panels, chairs +1

Wall blocks - can you post pictures? (made in Paint, Gimp, ...) I don't think it is possible currently (because of physics)
    What is "greeble". Translate.Google.Com fails on it.

Hologram blocks: will most likely be like display blocks. You can do that with ASCI-graphics. Would be nice to have a holographic choice though.

Darkened glass: would be very nice for darkening lights (half brightness).
    Currently the only missing color - I would like a slightly increased opacity on all non-default glass.

---- Ideas ----

GAC Generic Array Computer:

Can link to just one type of blocks.
    If linked to thrusters, works like a thrust computer (for logic blocks)
    If linked to beams, it works like a dmg beam computer

You have to unlink all before linking another block type

Decreases Computer-spam in your inventory - because it is stupid to build un-flexible computers in future ;)

LUB Logic User Block + Sensors (new user aligned to ship, ...)

[maybe: Area trigger controller ->] Button(activation mod) -> LUB (stores user ID)

If this circuit now activates a gravity module nearby a LUB, the gravity module affects the user referenced by this LUB, bypassing the current limitation which prevents case-sensitive gravity.
    (gravity changes only work while player is on the ship)​

Brick, wood walls and steel

A wall block made of stone-blocks/wood/steel-plates (dirty)
    Good for medieval civilisations and decoration​

Logic senders / receivers

A wireless 3+ bit pipe logic pipe.
    The docking beam already activates logic blocks, but we need (at least) 3 bits for
    1. off->on signal start; on->off signal end
    2. clock-bit
    3. signal bit
    A possible solutions would be:
    • Button: Most significant bit in signal-beam
    • Button behind first: Second most significant bit

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    lightbulps: maybe possible with resource-injection system on interior blocks.

stairs: would be ramps with stair-texture. You can do it yourself by adding a custom block texture and some blockConfig.xml lines.
    Antennas: just use turned off light rods for now. You can make it.

ladders, truss: +1
    But you need transparent blocks which show faces from the inside if you want hollow 3D blocks with their back-side visible.
    Thus ladders will likely be hulls with a different texture or something like PlexLifters.​

Solar Panels, chairs +1

Wall blocks - can you post pictures? (made in Paint, Gimp, ...) I don't think it is possible currently (because of physics)
    What is "greeble". Translate.Google.Com fails on it.

Hologram blocks: will most likely be like display blocks. You can do that with ASCI-graphics. Would be nice to have a holographic choice though.

Darkened glass: would be very nice for darkening lights (half brightness).
    Currently the only missing color - I would like a slightly increased opacity on all non-default glass.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble - basically detail blocks. Could include pipes. Think star wars ships.
    I put stairs in there because I don't see a lot of buildings that use ramps as stairs. Plus it can be used in a lot of aesthetics (see ninecraft).
    As for wall/panel blocks, think this:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wall-panels are possible, but need the implementation of new | T L + blocks if you want the being centred and | L blocks else.

The big problem of StarMade is that it is impossible to merge 2 blocks in the same cube (wall + light). Thus each modification (lights in walls, lamps on walls, ...) may require an extra block ID or extra code.

I like greeble blocks too, but I prefer multi-block textures like in Space-Engineers where color-modifying-textures are mapped over multiple blocks (best example in SE: hardened hull with the camouflage military style).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Wall-panels are possible, but need the implementation of new | T L + blocks if you want the being centred and | L blocks else.

The big problem of StarMade is that it is impossible to merge 2 blocks in the same cube (wall + light). Thus each modification (lights in walls, lamps on walls, ...) may require an extra block ID or extra code.
    Nothing insurmountable, right? wouldn't be too hard, by schema standards

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    True, but I think the time would be better spent on more important features first. FTL, Fix weapon bugs, ... and many other upcoming things.

What do you think about my block ideas? Did you see the edit on my last post?

I think we should keep our posts more on ideas and less on discussion to not disturb future posters reading significant parts of this thread.

Reaction score
    True, but I think the time would be better spent on more important features first. FTL, Fix weapon bugs, ... and many other upcoming things.

I think we should keep our posts more on ideas and less on discussion to not disturb future posters reading significant parts of this thread.
    I'm not sure about the logic parts as I do not touch logic in starmade (I have a feeling that is going to be improved on this year). Will be adding other suggestions

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I definitely want a single computer block that can be configured for all the existing computer roles. That would make more sense. I'm not sure if we could recover block IDs. I'm guessing that your current idea is that the generic computer block will change into one of the pre-existing computers when it is configured to take over that task. But it sure would be nice to get those Block IDs back....

A generic computer block that does -not- change into an existing BlockID would be rather disruptive, but I think we should be flexible in Alpha testing enough to allow it. In short, if this were implemented, what would happen with all the existing blueprints? Would the game be set to automatically convert those computer blocks into a grey hull or something? Probably "Old Computer". Until the old computers are replaced, the ship you buy is not as good as it used to be. Rebuilding is already a fact of starmade life with a lot of existing designs that don't have shield rechargers.

Reaction score
    in regards to the computer block, i can't see it being phased in any time soon, BUT I think a simple extra two lines of code in the blueprint (if not there already) will allow easy conversion "computer=type" and "connected=XYZ" CO-ordinates of connected blocks
    okay, so not literally two lines of code, but it should not be difficult, and at a later stage, they could reclaim the computer IDS, and just run the same code off the one "block" (is cannon connected, yes = cannon computer)
    this also can ease problems if weapons are later removed (e.g. the separate missile units a few months back), since the game will now know what was there, and it can be converted to equivalent systems, or maybe prompt for a suggested replacement if a weapon has no equivalent. this same code could easily be adapted to anything they are considering replacing, imagine if they add "plastic" hull, and they bump up normal hull to "medium"... ships would need to be converted right?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It can just hold only one of the different slave-block IDs from {weapons, effects} You can just replace all computers with it.
    Texture would be generic/computer - works together with 1: A symbolic array moddule, 2: Decorative block, 3: Array names.
    But I made a thread for it: http://starmadedock.net/threads/generic-array-computer.2076/ (look at my signature)

I didn't thought about IDs when suggesting this (would be a nice side-effect), but that you need too many different (8 effect + 5 weapon) computers in your inventory - clutter.

@srs008 right
    The game should also have a primary, secondary and tertiary color which dynamically changes textures to what we want (3 RGB colors per whole ship)
    Or add primary/secondary/tertiary to block descriptions to get some community-defaults.
    -> and allow users to change them before spawning a blueprint.

If it is possible to have blocks decorated and lightened on the inside, they would make nice maintenance tunnels.

Many peoples (including me) requested transporter/portal/gate blocks (for floor-to-floor or rear to front transport) in the past.
    Not all servers will have them though.
    A nice decorative item anyway :)

Fog/Mist, burning Plasma, lightening, Fire, Speakers/Security-Cams, Microwaves/Food-Replication-Module, Toilet (YES), Trash-Cans/Recycler, Posters of famous Singers or Politic-Persons, ...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I think I've hit a wall here.

How do I edit my OP? the edit button's gone

New list here:
    -darkened glass: hardened glass for RP purposes. Maybe with metal edge reinforcement?
    -wall block/metal plating: thin panels that allow people to build small ships without worrying too much about interior space. applies to glass and darkened glass too
    -chairs: chairs beds cockpits all of that magic
    -hologram blocks: displays a 1-block hologram of your ship
    -ladders
    -stairs
    -truss blocks: decoration purposes, could also look cool en masse
    -lightbulbs: (yes I know there are already a lot of lights) small 3~4 pixel LEDs that stick to the side of blocks
    -antennas: rods of steel. Color optional. could also help in future when people implement systems
    -solar panels: comes in panels and blocks. provides power?
    -greeble blocks: you know, for detailing. could also look cool
    -searchlights/floodlights: like a torch, but in space.
    -hinges: you know for blast doors and turrets
    -more "old fashioned" materials: bricks wood rusted steel. RP purposes. could also have good economic value.
    -transporter blocks (beam me up scotty)
    -security cams: connects to a computer with a screen, I guess
    -decoration blocks: microwaves, toilets, trash cans, posters
    -universal computers: connects to everything
    -tables: tables with actual models because why not
    -magnets/electromagnets: could add another layer to the game mechanics

I also just had an idea, why not make 3d models of some of the stuff (because plain texture over blocks are overrated) and try to convince schema to add them?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    ... Not sure if Java supports complex 3d models.

But then again, I know nothing of Java. So I could be wrong.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    OpenGL does and Java supports OpenGL.

But a lot of physics in StarMade may be too optimized for Blocks and would require maybe 30% (randoom number) more CPU-time if these blocks would have realistic collisions meshes.

Reaction score
    OpenGL does and Java supports OpenGL.

But a lot of physics in StarMade may be too optimized for Blocks and would require maybe 30% (randoom number) more CPU-time if these blocks would have realistic collisions meshes.
    I don't think they need to have realistic collision meshes. the smaller stuff can just be nonphysical.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If it'll keep the game snappy, just maintain an invisible "bounding box" which interacts as a physical box object, even when the model is much smaller. Physical objects will bounce off "air", so it'll look a little funny, but mostly, it won't matter. It'll be frustrating for people when they can't stuff 3 toilets in the same block, but that's the cost of keeping the game from slowing way down. That way, you aren't passing through toilets, trash cans, etc. like a phantom. Invisible bounding boxes worked reasonably well for older games like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    hologram blocks: displays a 1-block hologram of your ship
    As a Mass Effect addict, I really like this. Yes, the questions once more arises, "how does the game scan for precise ship boundaries?" (or is that a non-issue? I remember it being a problem in the shipyards and astrotech discussions), but we lack fancy deco blocks.
    I picture it as a block like the displays we have already, and have them project a (rotating?) sprite one block above its face.

... Hijacking the idea slightly, we could have these blocks linked (by adjacency, mayhaps) and project a larger hologram of any sort, with some presets available. A planet's image, a random weapon model, numbers and data. It would make for great CICs, or, as the ship's hologram, as a captain's quarters' deco asset.
    On weird ship's dimensions, it might not turn out that well for 1-block projections, though.

Reactions: ltmauve