a docking mechanic idea to fit docks into smaller areas

Reaction score
    So I think we all know about how docking can be hard sometimes because of the size, well I had an idea. the idea is this:

when you make a dock itl have 2 cubes, one is green which is the maximum size the docked object can be, we have this line but if you have a block in it you cant dock there.

well my proposition is that there be a 2nd cube, this one will be yellow or somthing. it will be the size of the blue cube around your ship for docking, and if something is in that one, then you cant dock. when the yellow is the size of the green you can't make the ship bigger or else it will undock or be unable to dock.

This can allow small ships access to smaller rooms, making for all sorts of things like cryopods and other things, and even tightly packed escape pods, without the need for huge rooms to contain such small ships.

you could also use it to show how big your ship is in comparison with the green box, by using the yellow box as a direct comparison betweent the ship size and the max docking size without needing to angle the green and blue boxes JUUUUST right.

just an Idea, take it with a grain of salt but I think it'd help out alot and make changing docking sizes so much easier.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It\'s always bothered me how you can\'t fit small things inside of ships, like cryopods, without taking up a huge amount of space.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    +1 Can\'t say more about it.

Simple math. Allow/Deny... x/y/z comparision.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Edit: Personally I like having the original docking box because it ensures that a player wont make an op ship with turrets jammed in every crack. Now I do not like how you have to use extenders for regular docks because it forces players to take up a huge space if their core isn\'t in the center of their ship or if their ship is not a box. I would like to see the original docking box to stay for turrets but not for regular docks. This will still allow for hidden escape pods while making sure op carriers aren\'t made.

In other words I really like your idea if the green box is removed for regular docks but kept for turrets.

Reaction score
    This isn\'t just something that would make the game better, this is something we NEED.

Schema, do something about this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I know it does but I believe it should be something that everyone uses. (There also is a command for it: ignore_docking_area)

Reaction score
    well lets see, if you go doing this is isnt making any op carriers beyond what can be made now, considering I have a cruiser with 48 drones alrready, this will infact keep it neutral because if you pack it tighter you cant make the drones bigger and that also means smaller drones can be packed but they are weaker because of obvious reasons.

as for your idea, that defeats the purpose of the box so that you dont have a core carrying a dang mothership. the extenders keep ships from being too OP with turrets and whatnot, which is great. as for this idea, its made for looks, for better escape pods, for easier placement of that so you dont need 7 block high docks for 3 block high ships, and for things like public transport on inside cores and stuff like that in much more reasonable areas, and also indoor turrets which are good for protection vs intruders. The list for this goes on. This goes to everyone as just a few ideas for this mechanic.

as for the repeatedly mentioned command, not every server feels like those super turrets, and some places might just not want commands to be used, which is reasonable. this all sort of goes for everyone, and mentions my take on the command argument I\'ve seen on ideas relating to em, which this is pretty related to

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I do think that turret docks should keep the extenders to prevent op guns on a tiny ship, and this is why the command doesnt fully support my idea. I just feel like it is super unrealistic that even if there is enough room in the ship to dock, you cant unless there are enough extenders.

I am also a little confused on the op. Are you suggesting that other blocks can be within the green box? (so different than it is now)

Reaction score
    it really is realistic since the bigger something is the bigger docking anything you need for it, whats unrealistic is a ship that can be 10 blocks in size, but because it has 1 docking module can fit titanic turrets on it, thats a little unfair, especially since, last I checked, turrets still dont affect mass yet, even if they did, it really breaks the game that you ahve limitless docking. imagine it in the sense that the mother ship with a 10k mass turret now has no turret advantage to the 10 mass ship with the same, if not bigger turret. and if it is bigger then the mother ship could be outclassed just because a person stole a mother ship and stuck it on his ship like a turret. I dont mind the tugboat idea as a joke but not in real, serious use. it really kills a games vibe, but this isnt the point so I say lets end it here and get on the fact that this probably wont happen so lets try to make what exists better in a more feasable way

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    As I said before I 100% agree we need extenders for turrets, but it is unrealistic for regular docks. Therefor, I would love to see your idea introduced for turret docks and the green box taken away for regular docks only.

Reaction score
    true I can agree with that but schema needs to put add-on mass (docked ships and turrets) as regular mass then because the limitless dock can still be abused with a 10 block ship with thrusters carrying a 50000 mass ship, but yea, docks really dont have a reason to have the extenders past that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    what about interior security turret docks? unenhanceable and only has enough room for 1 block above the core and one block in front/behind side/side. little tiny turret:)

Reaction score
    Instead of making more confusing docks and whatnot just use this mechanic, saves time, effort, and memory

guy below me, I think you might have posted the wrong comment, it relates to nothing about this topic, just saying, if the comment was changed or removed, well then this is ppointless like a broken pencil

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would make a long power strip (only mass counts?).

I would add a power-drain beam behind it.

Dunno if that breaks the game. Even currently it is the absolute best to make a long dock for a long power-strip on 300m+ ships and put a 5x5x? strip array on it.

Reaction score
    Just make all docks to calculate mass, for example the dock can hold an object with a maximum of 100 mass and each enhancer adds 10 (or any number that works best ) . This way there will not be a core carrying a mothership and also will alow for assymetrical or turrets that have the core more to the back side and not in the middle to be mounted easier. I have no idea if this is easy or hard to make but it is a lot better than the boxes we have right now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    to add the mass of docked turrets and ships to the \"mother ship\" could be to have the docking module check the docked items mass then + that to its own mass so it\'s kind of an pseudo mass increas.